Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Closed Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:42 AM   #1
Mushrooshi
macrumors regular

Who to sell broken macbook to?

This isn't final, I just want a rough idea, but here is the thing:

My macbook is broken. I figured it would be more cost effective to sell it for parts, and then to just buy a new low-end macbook when they are refreshed in October.

But, I don't just want to ebay it.

Call me crazy, I am totally serious, but my macbook was a great friend to me, and I have emotionally bonded with it. When I was on the airplane and there was some pretty rough turbulance, I hugged my macbook and protected it. I am not joking at all.

I would prefer to have my loss be other peoples gain. the best thing I think I could do with my macbook is sell it to a repair site (like iFixit), and have it so all my macbook's good parts can be put in broken macbooks and give them like again. Like donating organs.

I would hate my macbook to be sold to those 'Smash some stuff' kids. I mean, I have been with my macbook, and I don't want it to destroyed by some kids.

This isn't final, I might end up just repairing it myself, but if there are any companies that sell refurb macbooks or sell broken macbook parts that are interested, post a rough price, and I will be considering and talking with my dad about it.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 04:06 AM   #2
aleksandra.
macrumors 6502a

http://www.icolours.ca/ - they're apparently buying broken Apple laptops to make videos instructions, although I've no idea how much they'd pay you.
aleksandra. is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
techound1
macrumors 68000

It may be easier to repair than you think. What's going on with it?
techound1 is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2008, 03:47 PM   #4
p0Wer
macrumors newbie

How did it break from turbulence? Pressure? :S

On the apple website it says the MacBook can only operate up to 10,000 feet, but they offer you on their website an "in-flight MacBook charger".
p0Wer is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2008, 03:56 PM   #5
MatthewCobb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Wer View Post

On the apple website it says the MacBook can only operate up to 10,000 feet, but they offer you on their website an "in-flight MacBook charger".
Ummm - perhaps they expect you to use that charger on an aeroplane, where air pressure is pretty much constant, rather than 1/3 of the way up Mount Everest, where it will be substantially less than 1 atmosphere. Just a thought.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Mushrooshi
macrumors regular

Techound: I know it is easy, but I find it is a better value for me to just sell it off and buy one of the new 'books.

Power, Matthew: It didn't break from turbulence, lol, that was an unrelated story.

The logic board just crapped out for some reason.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:27 AM   #7
funkyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushrooshi View Post
Techound: I know it is easy, but I find it is a better value for me to just sell it off and buy one of the new 'books.

Power, Matthew: It didn't break from turbulence, lol, that was an unrelated story.

The logic board just crapped out for some reason.
u can't fix it under warranty? macbooks aren't THAT old....

or do u just prefer to buy a new one when they come out?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:07 PM   #8
emt1
macrumors 65816

Get a quote from ifixit.com
emt1 is offline   0
Old Sep 24, 2008, 01:30 AM   #9
fedup flyer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Wer View Post

Maybe because the avg cabin pressure in an airliner cabin is around 4500' at cruise and not 10,000'. Something about pressurization.
fedup flyer is offline   0
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:36 PM   #10
airborne333
macrumors newbie

Try http://www.macbookfix.com. They pay a decent amount for damaged Macbooks or iBooks.
airborne333 is offline   0
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:38 AM   #11
vmgirl
macrumors newbie

Broken Macbook pro

Hi,
I dropped my Macbook Pro and the hard drive failed. Ot is less than 2 years old. I had to replace it yesterday and am looking to sell the old one for some $$$. The recycling program from Mac offered me $0.00. Anyone know where to sell this computer off for parts? Everything else is in perfect condition, including screen, frame and battery.
Anyone know where to go? I am in NYC.
vmgirl is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:11 AM   #12
EasyBeat88
macrumors newbie

Airborn had the right idea, but this site gives you an instant quote: sellmymacnow.com.

There aren't a lot of options for selling broken macbooks. Personally, I'd take the easy way out and sell it to a service like the one mentioned above, but you will get more money parting it out and selling the working/not damaged parts individually.
EasyBeat88 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook