Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new photograph claiming to be the new MacBook Pro has been circulating since yesterday. We've neglected to post the image since we felt it was clearly fake. Based on his sources, Jason O'Grady now confirms that the image isn't real and also provides some additional tidbits about the upcoming MacBook Pros.

O'Grady has heard that the new MacBook Pros will retain its more traditional boxy-look and not adopt the tapered edge design of the MacBook Air. We're not sure if that completely correlates with the previously leaked MacBook Pro image that does seem to depict a tapered edge. O'Grady also believes the new MacBook Pro will be thinner and "as much as a half-inch narrower" than existing models. The space savings will reportedly come from a smaller bezel (border) around the screen.

Other details spotted in early prototypes: black "flat top" keyboard like the MacBook Air, slightly smaller trackpad than existing MacBook Pros, and even a split trackpad with two buttons. O'Grady warns that Apple may build multiple prototypes and all these features may not make it to production machines.

In addition, O'Grady claims the incorporation of "full Multi-Touch support" in the new trackpads. At present, the capabilities of the current MacBook Pro trackpad offer basic Multi-Touch support but are limited to a few gestures per application. What "full" support means remains to be seen, but Apple has researched many options.

Article Link

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Square edges, thank goodness, dont waste space, make it as small as possible useing the space wisely

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
the curved edges dont do anything but waste space, you cant mount the logic board on a curved edge

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
It seems that some of these new details are a step backwards, such as the smaller trackpad. I highly doubt Apple would shrink the trackpad especially since the MBA has a much larger one and it would be easier to use "Full" Multitouch on a larger trackpad.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
I'm happy with my current MBP, but interested in seeing what updates come out next. More multitouch would be great. I'd also like to see a bigger trackpad, not a smaller one, to be better able to take advantage of improved multitouch. (Like the MBA has.)

I guess we'll have to wait until 10/14 to find out. :D. :apple:

Asu

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2006
Semantics

We've neglected to post the image since we felt it was clearly fake.

"neglected" does not mean "decided not to do", it means "forgot to do".

... no, you don't have to thank me. ... O gee, you shouldn't! ... I really mean it! ... No, stop! ... Ouch, it hurts! ... NOOOOOOOO!

cstromme

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2007
A smaller trackpad would be a huge step back. I have fairly small hands/fingers and I have problems with the size of the current trackpad when using some multitouch features.

Shtekeris

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
that is just funny!! One of the worst fakes ever, you can clearly see that trackpad is added with some software. Not to even mention that he is filming with iSight, but no green light is showing webcam being active ;D

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Apple, just release the darn things already so we don't have to hear any more rumors!

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
In addition, O'Grady claims the incorporation of "full Multi-Touch support" in the new trackpads. At present, the capabilities of the current MacBook Pro trackpad offer basic Multi-Touch support but are limited to a few gestures per application. What "full" support means remains to be seen, but Apple has researched many options.

No. What about the current multitouch trackpads isn’t sufficient for “full Multi-Touch”? If Apple releases a “full Multi-Touch”, they better enable it on previous Multi-Touch laptops.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
Hmmm. I'm on the verge of buying a MacBook Pro to replace my increasingly decrepit PowerBook G4, but some of the details that have been emerging over the last few months are disturbing me a bit.

Black "flat top" keyboard? Ech. Split trackpad with two buttons? Hell no.

And as for some of the earlier rumours, no FireWire 400, full-size DVI or internal optical drive? Combine that with the current incarnations of MacBooks that don't have the numberpad under the 789/uio/jkl/m keys which is something that is likely to continue with this new model.

My old PowerBook running Tiger is starting to look more and more attractive compared to one of these 'new' MacBook Pros with Leopard under the hood.

xsel

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Having the dock on the trackpad (provided that the trackpad is a screen, entirely possible with a screen a bit smaller than the iphone/ipod touch) might be a good idea. It opens up a bit more desktop space, especially on laptops. Then have the applications open only with a special touch, ie. double tap, etc to keep from opening apps on mistake.

slowpoe

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
yeah this is just a couple steps back...lets go back to the bigger trackpad...and brick idea...who released that btw? did apple say "brick"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.