Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Multi-button mice = awesome. Multi-button trackpads = lame. My PC has 4 buttons, a trackpad, a scroll zone on the trackpad, and one of those lame pencil eraser finger nubs. I hate it.

My MacBook has a single button. I love it. Two-finger scrolling, two-finger right clicking, etc. Beats physical buttons that are hard to reach with the thumb any day. Multi-touch wins.

There can be only one.

unkle77

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
PDX, Oregon
So someone please tell me why we should have any faith in the comments of O'Grady. He now confirms a photo is fake when we all already knew it was fake and that gives him credibility.

He says it will be thinner by reducing the bezel around the screen but that would only effect the width and length not the thickness.

Next he says it will have a smaller trackpad, possibly two split trackpads, possibly two buttons. Then he writes it all off with a warning that Apple may build multiple prototypes and all these features may or may not make it to the final version.

Well NO SH&*T SHERLOCK! What are we suppose to gleam from this gold mine of information.

I thought that the MB & MBPs had been spotted in the wild. Some said that they were even being delivered, and O'Grady is speculating about prototypes.

Did we just take a step backward or what?

I'm lost. Goodnight everybody.

lol, i agree 100%

i have no idea who this o'grady person is and his predictions are probably as accurate as the next guys.

people just need to stop wasting their time and wait until they release them.

i know that this is macrumors.com but when 200 people expand with their own opinions and predictions, it gets a bit overkill imo.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
From http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2304

"My fear: all glossy screens. It would be a major mistake for the MBP design if Apple only ships glossy screens without offering a matte option. Glossy screens will prevent me from buying or recommending them. I can’t stand them, especially on notebook computers that are capable to be used outdoors."

This rumors are really, really, scaring me. I know I'll need a new laptop soon, and the Powerbook G4 has been just perfect, fantastic design, right features, but if they'll remove the matte option, dismiss optical drive or something this drastic I think I'll have to switch back to some Windows machine :(

I've been using a Macbook for 2 years and never had problems in sunlight, on the contrary. You see, a matte screen will scatter the ambient light so if it's bright outside, you can't really see anything on the screen. The glossy screen however reflects the light instead of absorbing it. So you only have to turn the laptop so you don't see the sun in it and you're fine.

You really have to try it out before you judge. There's a reason why cell phones, gameboys and iPods all have glossy screens; you can use them in sunlight.

Matte screens reflect the ambient light so you don't get a lot of contrast because black is more like dark grey. A glossy screen has more contrast as long a snothing bright is reflected in it. Both are ideal in perfect darkness. I personally like the contrast. And you can still get on of those matte layers to put on the screen if the glare annoys you that much.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I've been using a Macbook for 2 years and never had problems in sunlight, on the contrary. You see, a matte screen will scatter the ambient light so if it's bright outside, you can't really see anything on the screen. The glossy screen however reflects the light instead of absorbing it. So you only have to turn the laptop so you don't see the sun in it and you're fine.

You really have to try it out before you judge. There's a reason why cell phones, gameboys and iPods all have glossy screens; you can use them in sunlight.

Matte screens reflect the ambient light so you don't get a lot of contrast because black is more like dark grey. A glossy screen has more contrast as long a snothing bright is reflected in it. Both are ideal in perfect darkness. I personally like the contrast. And you can still get on of those matte layers to put on the screen if the glare annoys you that much.

Hey, I know them well. Some friends of mine have both Macbooks and iMacs and I HATE them, reflections are horrible. I remember the day when I get rid from CRT and moved to LCD and was so happy that I also get rid from ambient reflections. Furthermore these things are difficult to calibrate and sooooo consumer. Isn't the MacBookPro intended to be a pro machine anymore?????

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I have to agree that going with two mouse buttons will be a mistake. Two finger right click is so much more efficient. I also hope they keep the option of a matte screen. Granted, in many cases, reflection off a glossy isn't that bad, but why concern yourself with the problem to begin with?

And I see no reason why the MBP needs to get any thinner. 1" is already very thin and I don't see you gaining anything by making it any thinner. If they can shrink things enough so that they can make the case thinner than 1", then they might as well keep the 1" thickness and use the extra space to improve the cooling system or put bigger drivers in for better speakers or something else useful.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I'm all for non-tapered edges. It makes better use of space, and the ports don't have to be recessed -- or worse yet, on a flying-saucer-stairs fold-out like the Air.

One thing that concerns me about the report: If the new one is even thinner, is there a risk that it might run even hotter than previous versions? I already have a big crack down the middle of my cedar coffee table from my current MBP's phenomenal heat build-up.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
These rumors are killing me!

I remember when the Macbook was first announced. I watched the keynote feed here, checked out the pictures and specs and went off to buy one a few days later.

Now it's always in repairs and it's seriously annoying... Is anyone in Germany interested in a black Macbook? :p

I think this would be nice and sole those top case problems (cracking and discoloration). And it would go well with the new silver iPod nanos:

3jpc95

Mockup

Note the plastic display cover doesn't dent or cover the wireless antennas. When closed it would be just a black macbook.

Maldini

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2007
Riyadh
I know some will not agree with me but why will they change the current design with something else? The MBP's are still awesome, just change the specs and add some minor redesigning but keep the core which we love..

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I have to agree that going with two mouse buttons will be a mistake. Two finger right click is so much more efficient.

Agree 100%. I've always loved the Powerbook trackspad. It's just perfect.

. Granted, in many cases, reflection off a glossy isn't that bad, but why concern yourself with the problem to begin with?
When one friend of mind bought a MacBook I asked him if he cared about glossy screen. He was moving from and old Powerbook G3 and replied "I'm slowly getting used to it". I don't want to get used to anything, I just want to turn on the computer and feel comfortable.

And I see no reason why the MBP needs to get any thinner. 1" is already very thin and I don't see you gaining anything by making it any thinner.

This thinness thing is just a crazy obsession.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I know some will not agree with me but why will they change the current design with something else? The MBP's are still awesome, just change the specs and add some minor redesigning but keep the core which we love..

I also love the current design and would like to see a nice bump in specs. I will probably keep my MBP if some of these rumors turn out to be true.

jojo13

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
These rumors are killing me!

I remember when the Macbook was first announced. I watched the keynote feed here, checked out the pictures and specs and went off to buy one a few days later.

Now it's always in repairs and it's seriously annoying... Is anyone in Germany interested in a black Macbook? :p

I think this would be nice and sole those top case problems (cracking and discoloration). And it would go well with the new silver iPod nanos:

3jpc95

Mockup

Note the plastic display cover doesn't dent or cover the wireless antennas. When closed it would be just a black macbook.

THIS MOCKUP = HUGE FAIL

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Hey, I know them well. Some friends of mine have both Macbooks and iMacs and I HATE them, reflections are horrible. I remember the day when I get rid from CRT and moved to LCD and was so happy that I also get rid from ambient reflections. Furthermore these things are difficult to calibrate and sooooo consumer. Isn't the MacBookPro intended to be a pro machine anymore?????
I agree with MrCrowbar. I use my laptop for graphics work pretty frequently and, as a MacBook, I was stuck with a glossy screen. I had an expectation that this would be an annoying concern but at the time I didn't want to spend loads of money on a laptop when I felt a better MacBook Pro would be coming out eventually. I have found it is easier to work on the MacBook outside than it ever was with a matte screen. I can read my screen (which is nice) and all I have to do is adjust my position/angle slightly, and there's no glare bothering me. It happens subconsciously and it doesn't even bother me at all.

You really have to try it before you whine so much about it.

CRT monitors are a little difficult to move around. ;)

I would not get a glossy desktop screen for exactly that reason.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I almost hope this rumor pans out to be mostly true because then I won't agonize over whether or not to sell my 2008 MBP and get the new one. I'd have no lust for the device this rumor describes.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I agree with MrCrowbar. I use my laptop for graphics work pretty frequently and, as a MacBook, I was stuck with a glossy screen. I had an expectation that this would be an annoying concern but at the time I didn't want to spend loads of money on a laptop when I felt a better MacBook Pro would be coming out eventually. I have found it is easier to work on the MacBook outside than it ever was with a matte screen. I can read my screen (which is nice) and all I have to do is adjust my position/angle slightly, and there's no glare bothering me. It happens subconsciously and it doesn't even bother me at all.

You really have to try it before you whine so much about it.

CRT monitors are a little difficult to move around. ;)

I would not get a glossy desktop screen for exactly that reason.

Do I need to repeat that I've used them? If they work for you it's fine, I just don't feel comfortable with them and they cause strain to my eyes. I use my laptop mainly as a desktop replacement, and in my room there are some lights behind me and I know for sure they would bother me (they did when I had the CRT monitor). And no, unfortunately I can't rearrange the room.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
No. What about the current multitouch trackpads isn’t sufficient for “full Multi-Touch”? If Apple releases a “full Multi-Touch”, they better enable it on previous Multi-Touch laptops.

they may not be able to if they use a new trackpad with different hardware features.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
he says it will be up to 1/2 an inch narrower

three dimensions are length, width, thickness

narrower = opposite of wider

narrower != thinner

So someone please tell me why we should have any faith in the comments of O'Grady. He now confirms a photo is fake when we all already knew it was fake and that gives him credibility.

He says it will be thinner by reducing the bezel around the screen but that would only effect the width and length not the thickness.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
It seems that some of these new details are a step backwards, such as the smaller trackpad. I highly doubt Apple would shrink the trackpad especially since the MBA has a much larger one and it would be easier to use "Full" Multitouch on a larger trackpad.

I'm happy with my current MBP, but interested in seeing what updates come out next. More multitouch would be great. I'd also like to see a bigger trackpad, not a smaller one, to be better able to take advantage of improved multitouch. (Like the MBA has.)

I guess we'll have to wait until 10/14 to find out. :D. :apple:

Seriously. This is retarded, Apple made the MacBook Air trackpad BIGGER BECAUSE OF MULTI-TOUCH, if they make the MacBook Pro's trackpad smaller when adding more multi-touch it would be the stupidest thing ever! That is the biggest chance I want to see is a nice big multi-touch trackpad if not having be a screen itself like the pic for multi-touch. One step closer to the patents Apple holds for touch surfaces :)

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
No way. I would never put something like this. And I'm not a pro, working with digital photos or web design. I can just imagine what the reaction from these guys would be.

I matti-fied my MacBook and I do not regret it. :)

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Black keyboards on a silver notebook? Eww... this will never happen, but if it did, I'd sell my MB and buy this thing in a heart beat...

It already happened. But perhaps you're too young to remember the TiBook? ;)

Edit: Oh, and the MBA, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.