Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Macbook Pro

Yes the new redesign is awesome! But it's not made for pros.

I think the PRO means like PRO in the PROs who use ProApps.

The new update is not good for Graphic Designers, Video Editors, Photographers, and Audio Engineers.

First you need to have firewire 400 for Video Editors and Audio People.

It only has one firewire 800 port, sure you could say you could use adapters and hubs, but remember audio and video use allot of bandwidth and daisey chaining them with hard drives and other stuff is just asking for problems.

You need a matte screen option for Graphic Designers, Photographers and even video pros.

So what do you fellow Pro's think? Is this a Pro laptop? Is it just a really nice consumer laptop with the pro name slapped on it?

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Macbook Pro

Yes the new redesign is awesome! But it's not made for pros.

I think the PRO means like PRO in the the PROs who use ProApps.

The new update is not good for Graphic Designers, Video Editors, Photographers, and Audio Engineers.

First you need to have firewire 400 for Video Editors and Audio People.

It only has one firewire 800 port, sure you could say you use adapters and hubs, but remember audio and video use allot of bandwidth and daisey chaining them with hard drives and other stuff is just asking for problems.

You need a matte screen option for Graphic Designers, Photographers and even video pros.

So what do you fellow Pro's think? Is this a Pro laptop? Is it just a really nice consumer laptop with the pro name slapped on it?

They should come up with a 3rd line of Laptops. MacProbook?

Pros need pro graphics (Quadro/FireGL), Expresscard54, eSata, FW3200, Dual Link DVI adapter included, 15" 1900x1200 screens, MATTE display option, etc etc etc

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
I miss the distinction between the two lines. Now everything is exactly the same. Who knew that the iMac from a year ago would dictate all of Apple's future design language?

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
yeah I agree, they have redefined pro to mean prosumer and not professional. Sure it has all the power we need, but not the real options and connectivity to consider it professional.
Here's 5 things that make the macbook pro a not so professional machine:
#1. Glossy screens
#2. Screen resolution, still the same 1440x900, need more real estate for pro apps.
#3. Connectivity, no esata, I know you could use the expresscard slot and an adaptor, but there are professional situations where you need that express card for something else while needing an esata connector(maybe they'll put one on the new 17")
#4. No blu ray, not just from movie watching, but from an archiving standpoint, burning finished video projects to a couple blurays is a lot more manageable than storing a bunch of bulky harddrives.
#5. Only one firewire, hubs and daisy chaining splits bandwidth, maybe when the 17" model comes out it will have more.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Forget the 'Pro' - they should've just called it an MacBook 'XL'.

Exactly it is a bigger better Macbook but it is not Pro.

Maybe if it had 2 firewire 800's at least 1 fw400, and matte screen option, and a blu-ray burner option.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
People get too hung up on silly things like names and take them too literally. A Ford Mustang isn't really a horse. A BlackBerry isn't really a berry. MacBook Pro is a marketing name. There's nothing in Apple's marketing that attempts to define what "Pro" means, or to suggest that it's designed exclusively for any type of professional. It is what it is. If it has the features and specs you like at a price you consider fair, buy it. If not, don't. Pure and simple.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
i think it is more for the casual pro... the one who doesnt know the difference in small color details. i want to see if the 17" is exactly like the 15, or if it is catered more to actual pros. Most of the people that i know, who are using MacBook pros for their photography, have it hooked up to an external monitor when they are really working and use the laptop for portability and showing proofs. Showing proof photos to customers i think would look better on a glossy screen, but working on them could be difficult. I Hate Glare!! I got a MacBook instead of the Pro because it was portable and in my budget. Whenever i work on photos i have mine hooked up to an external monitor so that i actually have some screen space to work with.

Disclaimer:
I would like to think of myself as a technically skilled photographer, but photography is not my living and i know that there are many more people with way more skills than i could even dream of.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
People get too hung up on silly things like names and take them too literally. A Ford Mustang isn't really a horse. A BlackBerry isn't really a berry. MacBook Pro is a marketing name. There's nothing in Apple's marketing that attempts to define what "Pro" means, or to suggest that it's designed exclusively for any type of professional. It is what it is. If it has the features and specs you like at a price you consider fair, buy it. If not, don't. Pure and simple.

Not true!

Apple call's there their Pro software...... Pro Apps.

Not we have Pro Apps like, Final Cut PRO, Logic PRO, and Aperture.

These Pro Apps can not be used as intended with these new macbook PROS.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
You are missing the point. The expectation of the Pro line has been that it meant more options for pro-users, and it has BECOME more of a name than substance.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You are missing the point. The expectation of the Pro line has been that it meant more options for pro-users, and it has BECOME more of a name than substance.
Not true!
Apple call's there their Pro software...... Pro Apps.
Not we have Pro Apps like, Final Cut PRO, Logic PRO, and Aperture.
These Pro Apps can not be used as intended with these new macbook PROS.
You're both confusing the MacBook Pro with the Pro line of software. Two different things. You won't find any statement by Apple that the MBP is designed for or is intended for use only by professionals.

TheFinale

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Oh well, the new designs are here to stay and for a loooooong time. Those peeps with the older mbp will be set to change to a newer model sooner or later. love it or hate it, it's here to stay ;)

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON

+1

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Oh well, the new designs are here to stay and for a loooooong time. Those peeps with the older mbp will be set to change to a newer model sooner or later. love it or hate it, it's here to stay ;)

Actually, this motivates me to hold on to my MBP even longer. I will just put my money into other things...like MacPros :p

-mx

jonG

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
MACBOOK PRO (consumer edition)

Seriously this is the lamest copout from apple so far. I needed a new 17" and was hoping for an updated computer but we got nothing, wow 200$ worth of upgrades is such a copout. Seriously what the #$^% apple no matte screens are you serious! You just screwed your main PRO market with these lame consumer screens that we dont have the option of changing, which PRO needs color calibration anyways, what a joke. Instead of looking at small type or calibrated colors we get to see whats reflecting behind us...sweet!!

Don't even get me started on lack of Blu-ray to fuel more lame HD itunes crap..

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I've already ordered mine but...

The one thing that bugs me is the glossy screen. I have it on my MacBook Air, and I much prefer the matte screen. The only possible application I see where glossy might be better is watching movies -- and that's not a "pro" use of the machine. I think it's a concession to "shiny sells" on the showroom floor.

Anyway, my old 2.0GHz Core Duo MBP was ripe for replacement, so I ordered a new 2.8GHz with a 7200rpm drive. Glossy screen and all. Maybe I'll find a good screen shield material (like what I have on my iPhone), and by some miracle I'll be able to apply it to the entire screen without air bubbles.

I'm not a pro art/graphics user, but if I were, the thought of working with the glossy display all day would make me feel very much let down by Apple.

SamSchneeberger

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
None of us Photographers are happy about the new update.

There is not a SINGLE thing in this update is "PRO". Only the Processor is something worth mentioning. The only real upgrade is that there is no more flimsy plastic around the edges.

It might look good, but thats where it stops.

No:
Firewire 400
DVI Port (adapter: more cable)
Matte Screen
One less USB port

memanta82

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah I'm glad that I've bought a MBP in june '08, with matte screen.
No way that i'll buy a glossy screen. never ever.

So it's exit Apple for me in the future if there are no other options. I'll spend my money somewhere else. I can't work on a glossy blingbling screen. Not on a laptop and not on a desktop computer. Glossy is for stupid consumors who like that blingbling when they see those macs in a shop. Sad but true.

Like ten years ago everybody had CRT screens with reflections that sucks. Then TFT's were coming, no reflections!! That was great. The only problem was they couldn't display realistic colors... but in the last 5 years that ain't a problem anymore so designers switched to the better TFT panels. And now Apple, making products for professionals, are coming with glossy screens so you get back those stupid reflections... AGH#@*&$.

And yeah, nobody is going to (serious) design things on a laptop-screen... but even the cinema displays are glossy... so the only reason to stick with Apple is OSX? I ain't gonna buy a Mac Pro with a display from another manufacturer.

magallanes

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
South of Jurassic Park
In the past i owned a "pro" notebook, while i don't have trouble with the performance and capabilities but the notebook was so damn heavy.

Apple thinks in "pro" notebook as a desktop supplement and not as a full replacement.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple thinks in "pro" notebook as a desktop supplement and not as a full replacement.
There's nothing that a desktop could offer me that my MBP can't do. I haven't needed to buy a desktop in more than 8 years. That's what I'd call replacement.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
There's nothing that a desktop could offer me that my MBP can't do. I haven't needed to buy a desktop in more than 8 years. That's what I'd call replacement.

How about have extra firewire ports so you can do Pro Video Editing?

oohhh wait you have the older one that does have extra ports!!!!

But yeah the Macbook Pro is not my main machine I use a Mac Pro Octo-Core for that, but I need to have the notebook be able to capture and edit video in the field, but with this new macbook pro sharing the bus with my Camera and firewire 800 hard drive is going to make that impossible with dropped frames galore!

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
im pretty pissed they got rid of the firewire and still didnt add hdmi, AND didnt add blu ray...

so when u use that 9600m gt, does it run with the 9400? or only 1 simultaniously? if only 1 at a time... who gives a damn? really!? might as well be using 9600 the whole time, plug in ur battery if ur worried bout time left in power.

truely, this is a gamer consumer computer, not a professional computer.

as an audio engineer, i rely on that port. what the hell uses fw800 so far? or express slot 34?

thats the last straw for me with macbookpros. I love my current mbp, but im gonna save money, get an HP laptop, n get a mac pro (whenever they decide to update that)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.