Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
The way I see it the 17" is apple's last chance at putting out a new notebook that is actually a pro notebook, less ports and making the screen shiny shouldn't be an upgrade on a pro machine, forget the spec bumps, those were gonna happen whether the case was redesigned or not.

To be a pro machine and actually feel like an upgrade to professionals the 17" needs/should have:
-Matte/antiglare option
-a firewire 400 port alongside the 800 or just 2 800 ports.
-an esata port.
-a graphics chip that can actually make use of more than 256mb of vram, the 9600m gt does come in 512mb, but it's only got 128-bit memory, so really it can only use 256mb of the vram. The 17" should have a higher model gpu that has a 256-bit memory interface.
-bluray option for archiving atleast, even if you can't license movie watching yet.

MrJingles

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
You're both confusing the MacBook Pro with the Pro line of software. Two different things. You won't find any statement by Apple that the MBP is designed for or is intended for use only by professionals.

Pretty sure you are missing the point:

PRO means: PRO Apps, MacPRO and Macbook PRO.

Consumer has no PRO in name: iMac, Macbook, Mac mini.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Oh well, the new designs are here to stay and for a loooooong time. Those peeps with the older mbp will be set to change to a newer model sooner or later. love it or hate it, it's here to stay ;)

Nah... I'll be keeping my MBP till the key's start falling off or the plastic detached itself from the alu. It's not the main machine, that's another beast entirely!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Pretty sure you are missing the point:
PRO means: PRO Apps, MacPRO and Macbook PRO.
Consumer has no PRO in name: iMac, Macbook, Mac mini.
I'm not missing the point. PRO means what? Professional? A doctor is a professional. An accountant is a professional. A school teacher is a professional. A heavyweight boxer is a professional. Neither you nor Apple has attempted to define what is or isn't professional.

The name is meaningless. I don't care if they call it an Apple SuperGizmotron 3a2Y, as long as it does what I need it to do. If it doesn't, I buy something that does. All this uproar about a marketing name is ridiculous. Apple has made NO claims that the MBP meets any professional-level (whatever THAT is!) specifications.

Rorikynn

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
I see a pattern:

Apple Computers --> Apple Inc.
MacBook Pro --> Macbook XL
MacBook Air --> Macbook Cripple

Maybe Apple should just stick to iPhone/iPods.

MrJingles

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
I'm not missing the point. PRO means what? Professional? A doctor is a professional. An accountant is a professional. A school teacher is a professional. A heavyweight boxer is a professional. Neither you nor Apple has attempted to define what is or isn't professional.

The name is meaningless. I don't care if they call it an Apple SuperGizmotron 3a2Y, as long as it does what I need it to do. If it doesn't, I buy something that does. All this uproar about a marketing name is ridiculous. Apple has made NO claims that the MBP meets any professional-level (whatever THAT is!) specifications.

It's all in the semantics. By your definition then there is no "Pro" in the normal sense of the word, machine for portable computer and then it is a problem in my eyes.

pointycollars

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Cincinnati
Macbook Pro

Yes the new redesign is awesome! But it's not made for pros.

I think the PRO means like PRO in the PROs who use ProApps.

The new update is not good for Graphic Designers, Video Editors, Photographers, and Audio Engineers.

First you need to have firewire 400 for Video Editors and Audio People.

It only has one firewire 800 port, sure you could say you could use adapters and hubs, but remember audio and video use allot of bandwidth and daisey chaining them with hard drives and other stuff is just asking for problems.

You need a matte screen option for Graphic Designers, Photographers and even video pros.

So what do you fellow Pro's think? Is this a Pro laptop? Is it just a really nice consumer laptop with the pro name slapped on it?

Really nice consumer laptop with the pro name slapped on it.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Hopefully next time Apple updates the Macbook Pro they will over more firewire ports I hope with a split bus.

I think the new Nvidia boards is what maybe caused the lack of ports.

Same thing happened when apple started using intel chipsets, but after the next update all the ports were back.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I see a pattern:

Apple Computers --> Apple Inc.
MacBook Pro --> Macbook XL
MacBook Air --> Macbook Cripple

Maybe Apple should just stick to iPhone/iPods.

+1. I never thought I'd see the day when the MBP wasn't any more attractive than the MB, but along came 10/14/08.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
I think your are thinking too much into the 'Pro' name. The Macbook Pro is used by a much larger market than just the professionals.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Oh boy... my friend will be pissed when he comes back from holiday to find this! He absolutely *hates* glossy screens... He's been waiting to buy a new MB or MBP for some time now, and was waiting for the October refresh rumours, just to find this is what Apple released.

Yea, the new MacBook Pros has lost their money-no-object, specify-to-your-needs position. Back to Dell then? :rolleyes:

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I think your are thinking too much into the 'Pro' name. The Macbook Pro is used by a much larger market than just the professionals.

I guess your right Final Cut "Pro" is only for teenyboppers to make videos to post on their friends myspace pages too.

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
The two issues are the glossy-only screen and the lost Firewire port.

First of all, Firewire 800 is completely backwards compatible with Firewire 400. It has the 6 Firewire 400 pins, plus 3 more. The previous-generation MBP had a single Firewire bus, with an internal hub driving the two external ports. You will not see any performance difference between the previous MBP with the internal hub, and the new MBP with an external hub.

Regarding the glossy screen, the only valid complaint here is a personal preference issue regarding the glare. No one who cares as much about color as these so-called professionals claim to is going to do color-critical work on a 6-bit laptop LCD. And most of the people whining about color are just wannabes who think that having top-of-the-line equipment will compensate for their lack of talent.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California

First of all, Firewire 800 is completely backwards compatible with Firewire 400. It has the 6 Firewire 400 pins, plus 3 more. The previous-generation MBP had a single Firewire bus, with an internal hub driving the two external ports. You will not see any performance difference between the previous MBP with the internal hub, and the new MBP with an external hub.

Regarding the glossy screen, the only valid complaint here is a personal preference issue regarding the glare. No one who cares as much about color as these so-called professionals claim to is going to do color-critical work on a 6-bit laptop LCD. And most of the people whining about color are just wannabes who think that having top-of-the-line equipment will compensate for their lack of talent.

Exactly. Apple is also comparing the products to itself, not to the competition. So compared to the Macbook, this is a pro machine.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Exactly. Apple is also comparing the products to itself, not to the competition. So compared to the Macbook, this is a pro machine.

What competition?

Most Video,Audio,Photo, and Graphic Design Pros only use Macintosh software.

Apple calls it's Creative programs Pro Apps, the Pro computers are for the people that run those Apps, consumers have the Macbook and iMac.

Creative Pro's have the Mac Pro and the Macbook Pro....... If you are just going to use these computers for internet and word processing and the like your either really rich or really stupid.... or both.

hashilli

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
thank god!!!

Thank god that someone with knowledge actually uses this forum!!!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
MacBook NotSoPro

Given the much beefier specs that exist on some PC notebooks, I have a hard time swallowing that this new MBP is all the muscle that Apple can muster.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
You do seem to be missing the point that Apple has traditionally been a leader in professional creative fields and helped usher in the 'desktop revolution' in everything from publishing to filmmaking. It's not unreasonable for professionals in these fields to take issue w/what they see as short comings in Apple's top of the line laptop.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.