Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 21, 2008, 06:07 PM   #1
sdschwendener
macrumors regular

How to encode DVD audio to play from Apple TV

How would I go about encoding the audio from a dvd audio disk with all the channels preserved then play it out of my apple tv.. all from a Mac?

Can the apple tv even play multi channel audio or does it have to be in a video file?

Any ideas?
Nvidia surround
sdschwendener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:52 PM   #2
sdschwendener
macrumors regular

I wish I could get any kind of a response on this.. technical or just an opinion or recommendation. The thing is that in the USA SACD and DVD-Audio is rather rare to stumble upon but I'm considering importing a number of DVD-Audio disks which have the audio mastered in several channels.

I think it would be totally worth it to get a handful of albums in real surround sound but like most everything I do, I need to be convinced before hand it is going to work. Thanks!
Nvidia surround
sdschwendener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:00 PM   #3
ATimson
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdschwendener View Post
How would I go about encoding the audio from a dvd audio disk with all the channels preserved then play it out of my apple tv.. all from a Mac?
I wasn't aware that either hi-def audio format was compatible with computers; I thought that they only ran in standalone players.
ATimson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:27 PM   #4
fj45
macrumors newbie

If the Audio is AC3 then you should be able to create a MP4 file in Handbrake that keeps the AC3 track intact. You won't get any compression. Handbrake supports AAC multichannel but I don't think the AppleTV handles it properly right now.
fj45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater