Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sosnpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I'm going back and forth between buying a time capsule or apple tv. My question is if my computer crapped out is it possible to restore my media from apple tv, is the file system accessible (with some hacking of course).

My audio and pictures are the primary things i'm concerned about, I take a dvd backup every few months but it would be nice to have the apple tv always be in sync and it be possible to restore from it.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Yes, if you have ssh or ftp access, it is easy to retrieve your files from your ATV.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Are the names of the files left intact or are they like on iPod where the files are renamed?

Also, if one were to lose the original iTunes library, would restoring from tv maintain the play count and all other information that are on the original file?

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Are the names of the files left intact or are they like on iPod where the files are renamed?

Also, if one were to lose the original iTunes library, would restoring from tv maintain the play count and all other information that are on the original file?
no, they are renamed.
If i lost my files and could recover them, I would not be too worried about the play count...:rolleyes:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
lol.. true... but if that's the case, I'd rather have everything backed up somewhere else then. The tv would be the last line of defense.

sosnpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah i would probably still continue making a backup dvd every few months, just looking for something to handle the incremental backups between those times, I also sync my iphone about every day (podcasts) so have a few options if things crash.

In the end I plan to have both but for the time being i think i'll have more fun with the apple tv, don't think i'll get too excited watching the first backup finish if i bought the time capsule......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.