Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your "New Aluminum MacBook" has any problems?

• No, no problem at all or haven't checked so well.

Votes: 40 58.0%
  • Yes, the battery cover is loose.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Yes, my MacBook has some slanted keys.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Yes, there is something wrong with my trackpad.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Yes, a problem which is not listed here.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Yes, I've got 2 or more of these above problems

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters

FerdiV

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I hope we can get a good overview of the problems with some nice percentages!

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
There are a tons of these threads already, but if you are counting these are the problems I have heard about:

1. dead pixels
2. slanted f keys
3. dents
4. scratches
5. white specks in the black border near the isight (just noticed this on my computer). Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless.

Overall a great computer and very fast, but quality control is lacking.

FerdiV

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, but here we can view a nice overview of the problems like I said. Every problem got it's own topic.

I wanna see how widespread the problems are.

Crash1234

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Um, warped lids on three MacBooks that I went through plus warped lids on every display model in the store. I also got two that felt as if there were something clunking around in the casing when picked up. What up with that?

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
My computer build quality is great. I have had a few software issues since I installed office 2008 and a few other third party apps. I have had to restart a few times now because of slowness. I think in a few weeks it should be running snappy consistently. I don't think Leopard is as Solid as panther was. ANd office is absolutely flakier. But nothing unreasonable or troubling. I think some people are over reacting to minor inconsistencies because they are unhappy there wasn't an $800 notebook from Apple. They are worried they overpaid and are looking for reasons to justify why they shouldn't have spent so much $$$ on a computer. My 2 cents.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
My computer build quality is great. I have had a few software issues since I installed office 2008 and a few other third party apps. I have had to restart a few times now because of slowness. I think in a few weeks it should be running snappy consistently. I don't think Leopard is as Solid as panther was. ANd office is absolutely flakier. But nothing unreasonable or troubling. I think some people are over reacting to minor inconsistencies because they are unhappy there wasn't an $800 notebook from Apple. They are worried they overpaid and are looking for reasons to justify why they shouldn't have spent so much $$$ on a computer. My 2 cents.

Or maybe they did have legitimate issues with theirs and you got one in perfect condition. Maybe it is easier to be critical when yours came 100% cosmetically perfect. They have a right to complain if there is a defect.

I have been lucky that all of my Mac's have been cosmetically perfect out of the box, but I won't be critical of those who didn't get so lucky. I'm no better than they are and their money is as good as mine. They deserve the same perfection out of the brand new box as I got.

dragon01

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
(∫)
Yes, I'm getting slight little bit overheat while surfing internet (firefox), chat instant message (adium) and listen music on Itune. Getting around 65-70c degree for CPU temp.

Zadiek

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Raymore, MO
Yes, I'm getting slight little bit overheat while surfing internet (firefox), chat instant message (adium) and listen music on Itune. Getting around 65-70c degree for CPU temp.

That's not right. have you tried to exchange it? I would be a little concerned about that heat. These new Macbooks tend to run rather cool. Anyways, I have some slanted keys on my current model. This is my 3rd one though. The first one had slanted keys and a wireless card issue, 2nd one had a chip in the casing on the display. The space bar is very "clicky" as well on my current Macbook. I guess I can live with this though.

JRSimmons

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
UK
One other thing worth mentioning is the WIFI - It's definately not the same as the previous plastic books - ie the range isn't as good.

scorpiusdeus

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Ventura County, CA
I'd just like to take a moment to thank all of you who ARE having issues with your Macbooks. YOU make me feel honored and special. Mine works great, Steve must love me. :D

Oh wait, Mobile .me has a high sucking factor, so maybe Steve just thinks I'm o.k. :(

David.lydayjr

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
love my Mac

nope no problems at all with mine. the absolute best computer i have ever got in my life. dont wanna go back to windows again!

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
They are worried they overpaid and are looking for reasons to justify why they shouldn't have spent so much $$$ on a computer. My 2 cents.
That doesn't change the fact that money changed hands and people just want what they see in the pictures and for it to work as advertised. :D

If Apple wants to bloat their prices then they have to play nice and accept the consequences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.