Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applestew

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I have a MacBook Air and love it.

When the Macbook was released recently I just couldn't help but get myself one of those new babies for a test drive.

My MacBook 2.4 just arrived today.

Having read the forums, the first things that I looked for were the slanted keys, washout screen, loose battery cover and dead pixels.

And guess what???

There were no dead pixels, no loose battery cover and no slanted function keys. Mine just got shipped form China yesterday, DIRECT, perhaps it is a newer week unit?

As for the screen, compared to the Air, the Macbook screen has a narrower angle where the display will be at its best. BUT I realise that when you tilt the screen to that optimal angle, the screen performs much like the Air's screen. When the angle if off, then the screen quality starts to suffer.

BUT having the old macbook as well, this screen is a GREAT improvement to the outgoing macbook.

I think the new Macbook is really going to be a great seller for Apple. Perhaps Apple has fixed the QC problems regarding the function keys and battery cover? Just remember to tilt the screen for that optimal viewing angle.

MacBook Pro? Nah... that is way to big for my liking....

Cheers and enjoy your macbooks...

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Great review. Overall I love the computer as well. Sounds like quality control did a good job with yours :)

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK
Yay, sounds like you've got one pristine new MacBook there. Congrats!

Whats the washed out problem people are on about?

Apparently the MBs' screens look washed-out in comparison to those of the MBPs, have some kind of "white film"/blurring, and when viewed from the sides it's almost like viewing a "negative image". To my eyes, none of these things appear to be true of the MBs in my local store, however.

jade

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2003
Yay, sounds like you've got one pristine new MacBook there. Congrats!

Apparently the MBs' screens look washed-out in comparison to those of the MBPs, have some kind of "white film"/blurring, and when viewed from the sides it's almost like viewing a "negative image". To my eyes, none of these things appear to be true of the MBs in my local store, however.

So the screen looks crappy if you stand on the side at a 180 degree angle. So if you are sharing your screen in a conference room on the table, make sure that everyone is facing the notebook dead on or about 3 feet away, or they won't be able to see it due to the narrower viewing angle. When you are sitting in front of the computer it is great!

P.S. My computer looks great, battery cover is even, F keys are fine and I don't have any dead pixels. I got mine last Wed.

Aztec

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
And it looks so good :cool:

DSC_0321.jpg

SpEnCeR132

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Finally!

somebody who isnt crazy, im sick of people complaining because the new macs arent exactly what they wanted. i love the new ones and cant wait for mine to get here. good review BTW

applestew

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Whats the washed out problem people are on about?

Having used the machine more now, I know what these guys term washout...

If the screen is too upright, the screen goes less contrasty. If teh screen is too tilted backwards (with your eyes still at the same level), the screen turns more contrasty. I have to admit that this is less of an issue on the Air. But if you care to tilt the screen to the optimal tilt, the screen is great.

Just as reference, my Macbook is made in week 43. (W8843.....)

And one more thing.... I noticed the Macbook runs much much cooler with the fans hardly audible (compared to the Air). But there are no ventilation slots? So where is the heat being dissipated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.