Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwanttogarden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
So you are one of those supposed perfect unibody MBP owners... could you post a pic of your display with a completely black screen?

You need to have a pure black background. Full brightness all the way up, and the room has to be dark (or else if you do have backlight leaks you won't notice it).

Here is the problem (borrowed from Tod's thread):
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=142605&d=1225658010

My theory is a good amount of new MBP's have backlight leaks just not everyone notices it. So it would be fruitless to exchange a MBP for another one, since they all have backlight issues.

Obviously I'm hoping to be proved wrong!

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
If you do have this backlight leak as you mention, when would it be a problem?

When you run an application which displays a pure black screen that is only used when you have the lights off in the room and the display at full brightness.

I understand that this may be an 'issue' in theory, but when would it ever be a real issue?

iwanttogarden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
You're right. I can only see it as an issue if it shows through in normal use like on my imac (*grumble*).

But this is more of wanting to know if 99% of the new MBPs are having this issue and most not realizing it or caring with a few exceptions or in fact 90%+ are getting perfect displays and the rest aren't.

And the 'dramatic' test conditions is to rule out people who have very subtle backlight leaks and assume they are perfect.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I'm the OP of the linked thread. Every time I loaded windows I saw them during the loading. Every time I watched a movie I saw them. To me, it's unacceptable. To others, it might be. I paid 2k for thap laptop. My 4 year iBook is perfect. My new MBP will be too.

aaeyers

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
I don't have a working camera with me at the moment, but I don't have any visible backlight leakage.

iwanttogarden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
I don't have a working camera with me at the moment, but I don't have any visible backlight leakage.

Really? You did the 'test' with all the conditions I mentioned?

Mine looks exactly like TodVader's except his are slightly more visible, but the patterns in leak is very similar. Because of the similar pattern it makes me think it's something in manufacturing.

Anymore people can try the 'test' out and respond?

The best background for the test would be to take a tiny image (preferably all black) and go full screen with it in Preview (just ignore the middle where your image is).

JoshHawn

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
Hanford/Lemoore, CA
So is anyone else going to fill the request to post a picture of their display? No?? i guess i will...

See, perfect. Well, you can argue that you can see a little bit, but who the hell cares that much? and you can only see it in the Dark. It looks good, but my MacBook Pro here actually has a missing screw in the bottom; taking it to apple store to get it replaced today :D

Attachments

• DSCF1542.JPG
    DSCF1542.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 397

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
See, perfect. Well, you can argue that you can see a little bit, but who the hell cares that much? and you can only see it in the Dark. It looks good, but my MacBook Pro here actually has a missing screw in the bottom; taking it to apple store to get it replaced today :D

Nice screen. What are the odds that your replacement will be this perfect?
Post pics when you get it so we can see the comparison.

aaeyers

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
fbgfgbxw9.png

That is showing a black screen on full brightness in an almost perfectly dark room.

integrat.ethis

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
[^^]

That is showing a black screen on full brightness in an almost perfectly dark room.
Good lord, you make me hate my machine.

Mine has the spotlight issue identical to the linked thread - I don't even have to take a picture. However I don't really see it in everyday use - only if the screen is perfectly black, which hardly ever happens for me at least. However, my old laptop had an even worse light leak, so perhaps my brain just tunes it out.

delude

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Mine is also perfect. I made a pure black picture in Photoshop, full screened it, turned up the brightness and switched the lights off. No leak at all, just one hell of a good looking screen. I am so happy that I don't have to worry about all these issues others are having, but am of course sorry that you were screwed over.

Hope ervtyhing gets sorted for the people with problems!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
There's actually no such thing as a completely black MacBook Pro display with max brightness on a black screen...

But that's just my take... my old MBPs and both my new MBPs have SOME form of light leakage and it's normal.

iwanttogarden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
@aaeyers
I don't want to be a stiff but yours does have leaks (they are minor though). Look at the bottom you have the mountain pattern leak like TodVader and mine have. Also you have slight leaks on the top corners.

@JoshHawn
Yours looks very good.

@WilliamG
That's my theory, that all MBPs have leaks. Just some are barely there and some stick out. I'm trying to judge if the 'barely there' ones are the majority or minority here.

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
@aaeyers

Is this with the auto-brightness adjustment disabled? It looks far too dim for it to be at full brightness when compared to my screen. A fairly crappy shot of mine is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 126

iwanttogarden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
@Balders
Yours looks like TodVader's but not so apparent (like mine).

No one is seeing the similar pattern here? The mountain peak silhouettes on the bottom? It seems obvious in all the posts to different degrees, Josh's is probably by far the less obvious and near-perfect but still I can make it out.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
to lazy to take a pic of mine right now, but it is nearly perfect. I can only barely notice it if I squint in a complete pitch black room. Almost all laptops have screens that have a little "leakage". Nothings perfect. No matter how much you pay for it, it will never be perfect.

aaeyers

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
@aaeyers
I don't want to be a stiff but yours does have leaks (they are minor though). Look at the bottom you have the mountain pattern leak like TodVader and mine have. Also you have slight leaks on the top corners.

If you ever find an LCD display that doesn't have that sort of leakage, let me know.

@aaeyers
Is this with the auto-brightness adjustment disabled?

Yes.

Red-red

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I tested mine and it has a little bit and I mean "little" but I never use it on full brightness in a dark room so its not a problem to anyway. As soon as I started to lower it to what I would actually use it at you couldn't tell.

It's one of those things of over examining something instead of enjoying it.

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
I just noticed that if I turn the brightness up to full and go into a completely dark room and stand on my head, the screen seems upside down. Should I return my MBP?

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
I just noticed that if I turn the brightness up to full and go into a completely dark room and stand on my head, the screen seems upside down. Should I return my MBP?

lol. Everybody on this forum thinks that EVERY single machine that apple makes has to be perfect. Example thread:
"Oh noes, there's a scratch that is on the bottom of my computer that's like 3/8ths of an inch long! :eek: Should I take it back?
Response:
"DEFINITELY! That is not tolerable. You should demand a new one and not take 'no' for an answer!"

Really guys. No computers are perfect. It's sometimes funny to read these forums because most people on here think that every single computer has to be damn perfect or else it's "not exceptable"

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Really guys. No computers are perfect. It's sometimes funny to read these forums because most people on here think that every single computer has to be damn perfect or else it's "not exceptable"

I'm amazed (and amused) at the time and energy folks expend deliberately trying to find problems. Life is way too short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.