Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Interesting, I was gonna start this thread later today when I got home from work.

I have the mountain peaks along the bottom like Todd does, though maybe slightly less severe.

That said, I use my laptop on full brightness and my desktop is always clean--a plain black screen with a centered image. I can't see it in the light, but in the dark, which I do use it in fairly often, I can see it. It bothers me a little bit but not too much because as has been said, every LED panel will leak a little and other than this "issue", my MBP is utterly flawless.

I took pics but I am at work, will upload when I get home.

FWIW, I have a 9C85 screen and a week 47 November build CTO (2.8 GHz 320@7200)

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Alright here is my week 47 9C85 on full brightness:

3080997467_341189d33a_b.jpg

3081836566_b4f6f3eac6_b.jpg

3080996831_716c2e4cd3_b.jpg

3081836752_7712c82870_b.jpg

3081836866_4d2e57deea_b.jpg

In this pic the round-looking artifact is actually just the camera's reflection--the bleed to be looking at is right along the left edge of the screen

3081837164_ffde373f42_b.jpg

Aside from the bleed, think the blacks look good on this one?

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Puma, perhaps you should turn down your keyboard light and do an all-black screen with full brightness. Then redo those pictures.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Puma, perhaps you should turn down your keyboard light and do an all-black screen with full brightness. Then redo those pictures.

I'll see what I can do if I get a chance tonight...I just snapped these before the thread was made when I noticed the bleed.

Also FWIW the screen is not calibrated, the calibrations I tried looked too red or too blue/cool...the factory one is the best so far albeit just a tad yellow (not that it affects the light bleed but for sake of the quality of the screen's blacks).

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I'll see what I can do if I get a chance tonight...I just snapped these before the thread was made when I noticed the bleed.

Also FWIW the screen is not calibrated, the calibrations I tried looked too red or too blue/cool...the factory one is the best so far albeit just a tad yellow (not that it affects the light bleed but for sake of the quality of the screen's blacks).

Yeah, but for our purpose, looking at a picture of a screen on our own screens, we can just say it's the camera! :p

It's just that it's more difficult to see nuances (lightbleed) with bright light right beside your focus. And the camera will even make the black blacker because of those bright lights.

LemmycautioN

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Seattle
3078648117_00ca58b66c_b.jpg

The one on the left is the 85, the right is the 84. The 85, as you can see, has some hardcore edge bleed on the left and the bottom. The 84 has faint "mountain peak" bleed across the whole thing. I'm trying to figure out which one to keep or if I should send them both back, considering that out of the people that actually posted their displays only one of them had very little bleed I'm thinking there's no reason to replace a bleeding screen for another bleeding screen. To the people who write in "mine is perfect" I'd like to say "blowfish", post your damn pics, I'm not taking your word for it.

Anyway I searched for backlight bleed and didn't find this thread so I started a different thread "backlight bleeding and black levels......" I have more pics of these same two screens over there.

Also, a side note, my girlfriend's $800 dell ispiron has NO BACKLIGHT BLEED

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Honestly, I'm all right with my screen with normal setting for normal usage. And I'm no fanboi, I nitpicked the glassbook to death for its contrast, viewing angles, and inability to display black/dark colors accurately.

I feel this is gotten to the point of Corvette owners bitching because they experience some handling instability when driving their cars at 130 mph down the highway and stating that their girlfriend's cavalier doesn't do the same when it's wrapped out.

My screen is so bright, I'm convinced that if I turn it up all the way in a dark room, it will GIVE ME A TAN. But on normal settings, it is crisp, clear and vibrant. Yes, I paid a premium for my machine, and my expectations are for it are high. Said expectations have been met.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When you people post pictures please use. tIMG tags.

Really hard to scroll on a device with XGA or smaller display.

qom

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
My screen is really starting to piss me off now.
I haven't noticed it before, but I guess it's been there all along (saw it yesterday, before I saw this thread though). I use an external screen almost everytime I'm sitting in a dark environment, when there's light around me I nearly never notice.

I got my my MBP in late October.
Is it still possible to get it exchange you think?

jHpsLoaep.jpg

IFOfBkKax.jpg

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I got my my MBP in late October.
Is it still possible to get it exchange you think?

Wow, that screen really doesn't look good. I especially like the green lightshow! :eek:

Anyway, no it's not too late – it's within warranty. :)

qom

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
Green lightshow? :p Not sure if you were being ironic

Just wanted to snap a picture with my desktop picture to illustrate how bad it looks in the lower left corner in dark environments. It bugs me out

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Green lightshow? :p Not sure if you were being ironic

Just wanted to snap a picture with my desktop picture to illustrate how bad it looks in the lower left corner in dark environments. It bugs me out

Yeah, I saw the bleed too. But the green light is great :D

jon31rm

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2007
Here's mine. The edges surrounding the entire bottom half of the screen leaks. It's very noticeable when watching movies, and bothers me enough to want to get it fixed, or replaced. I've only had it for 9 days.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6308/cimg0947xn6.jpg

If this weren't a pro model laptop that I hadn't just paid +$1,999 for, I probably wouldn't complain. It's really not that bad other than watching movies.

I purchased the laptop on Amazon.com, how does this affect the warranty/return policy? I'm actually considering returning it if possible, for a number of other reasons including the screen leak. I don't like that Boot Camp still doesn't work properly with the trackpad, and apparently Macs don't work well with D-Link "n" routers. I've had to pull out an old b/g router to get the wireless to work in the house.

As much as I like OS X, I'm really frustrated with the hardware issues in the MacBook lineup.

StvRndy

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
What did happen to MBP screen quality? Has Apple used low quality panels?
Those screens are really bad, even my previous MBP screen is much better even though it has a stuck pixel :(
It seems many people would not be satisfied with Apple new notebooks, if the screen are this bad (bleed and dead pixels). Apple please fix this!!

gaurav762

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Hi..Just got my macbook pro yesterday. Image of my screen at full brightness with lights turned off. The screen is a 9C85. Is this normal for all 9C85 screens ? I am inclined to try and get it exchanged. Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 62

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
mbp leaking but..

WEll I have faint leakage (not like the mountains that most of you have)... BUT, I have a dual monitor setup so I pushed a black image full screen with aperture and , behold on my desktop LCD (Dell 2405 Ultrasharp) there is no leakage whatsoever, its perfectly black, pitch black. Oh and the brightness is fully turned up.

Anyone got an explanation for that?

//F

PS: the leakage i have on my mbp is acceptable, 1: any video or photograph professional will tell you that working in a pitch black room is a no go , dim sure but not black. And in a dim room this leakage is not disturbing. I talked to a pro photographer about this issue actually and he said that for pro photographers, the screen is perfectly all right, for print pros they use a different , external screen then (expensive EIZOs etc) but generally, I have yet to meet a pro photographer that has an issue with this "bleeding".

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
I would never do this test on my macbook im getting next month.

Once i had a friend tell me i had a dead pixel on my screen before. i looked all around for it and could find it until he pointed it out exactly were it was. As soon as he did, it was all i could see, it seemed the size of a baseball after he showed it to me. This after never noticing it before in my life (Who knows how long it was there) It bothered me so much i went out and bought a new monitor.

I hate when people point out flaws that you dont notice. As soon as you do its all you notice and eats away at you until its perfect.

qom

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
So I finally called Applecare today to try and get my MBP replaced. However the guy on the other end told me to go to the nearest service center to have it looked at and fixed (I also told him that the battery lid is a bit loose).

Will they even bother about replacing the screen? Should I be more persistent about getting a new MBP? I don't know how much I can demand here since it's been awhile since I bought it. If it was within the first 14th days it would've been much easier

DJ567

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
London, UK
i checked mine in pitch black with a black picture no leakage as best i can tell, infact the brighest part of thescreen seems to be a cloud around the middle but that might just be my eyes adjusting to the dark... looks exactly the same as the hd tv its connect to

betterdays

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
(Pro photographer here) Just to remind you all, people that take a picture of their black screen in the dark... any camera in auto mode will try and compensate for the dark on dark subject, making it closer to grey (translation : black will not be black but grey).

And thus, backlight bleeding will be emphasised beyond what you see with your eyes when looking at the computer. And everyone will start screaming, saying wow this is severe bleeding, when in fact, you barely see it when looking at the computer.

If you want to properly show what your display looks like, you SHOULD dial down the exposure compensation (usually it's a plus-minus sign) to something like -1 or -2.
I've checked a black screen on my 9C84, and yes I have very moderate bleeding at the bottom. I'm very picky, but I don't see this as a problem. The colors fading and greys shifting to magenta when you're a bit higher than full front, more of a problem to me. I'm sending it back to hopefully get a 9C85.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.