Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Nov 7, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1
soni2926
macrumors member

can i use itunes gift card to buy apps?

hi,
i'd like to create an itunes account, without using my cc, looks like i can do it also using a gift card. if i buy a gift card, will i be able to also buy apps for my iphone or just music? i'm in the US.

thanks.
soni2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:14 AM   #2
b.c.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by soni2926 View Post
hi,
i'd like to create an itunes account, without using my cc, looks like i can do it also using a gift card. if i buy a gift card, will i be able to also buy apps for my iphone or just music? i'm in the US.

thanks.
in the US, yes you can use gift card/iTunes account balance to buy apps.

but it varies depdending on country http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/
e.g. unfortunately in Canada, apps can only be bought with credit card.
b.c. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:25 AM   #3
hazza.jockel
macrumors 6502

I don't have a cc so thank god u can buy apps with a gift card. I think it's stupid you can't create an account with out signing up for some kind of payment method (cc or gift card). What if someone just wants free apps?
hazza.jockel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Clete2
macrumors 6502a

I seriously suggest you use the Live Cashback method to purchase a $200 gift card on iTunes for ~70 and ~50 USD after cash back.

I don't mean to promote, but I summed it up on my blog:
Here

There is also a long thread in here somewhere. I bought one yesterday from brandee2. I got the code immediately, followed instructions, and it was credited immediately.
Listings for brandee2. These are USA codes.

I hope this gives you some information. Note: I have no affiliation with brandee2.

P.S. You don't need a credit card; Sign up for Paypal with your bank account if you have one.
Clete2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 02:58 PM   #5
speedracer3000
macrumors 6502

Yes, definitely buy the cards from eBay at a significant discount. I just got a $200 gift card for $75 plus Live Search cash back for additional ~$18 something off.
speedracer3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:47 PM   #6
PCgamer9
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza.jockel View Post
I don't have a cc so thank god u can buy apps with a gift card. I think it's stupid you can't create an account with out signing up for some kind of payment method (cc or gift card). What if someone just wants free apps?
actually i made an itunes account without using a cc or giftcard, you just go to the app store and find a free app, (probably facebook, its the most common) and click on the install button, then when it asks you to log in, there is an option to "creat a new account", then fill in all the info and where it says payment method there is an option for none (because its a free app) then you have your account.
PCgamer9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps