iPod Touch video capture? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:07 PM   #1
TheBattleOx
macrumors newbie

iPod Touch video capture?

Hey everyone. I am a part of a gaming review site, and recently there has been a call for people to review iPod touch games and since I have a ton I would like to do that. I was wondering two things:

Is there a program on the iPod touch I can use to record video of itself.

Or, if there is a way to project what is happening on the iPod touch onto a computer screen (because then I could just record that)

Instead of video, I have been using the screenshot capability but I would really like to do some video.
TheBattleOx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:21 PM   #2
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Not sure if you can do that. Most game review sites and even the videos posted on Macrumors with app store games just have an external camera to record the iPhone/iPod touch. Majority developers demo the app with an iPhone 3G.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

there is no video-in port on the iPod Touch, so no way to get input there.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:46 PM   #4
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

if you can find a way to install the apps on the iphone simulator, you can record from that, but as far as i no u need 2 use an external camera to record videos on the ipod
mackmgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:54 PM   #5
coolman827
macrumors newbie

Hm i see, not to be a smart*** but, if you are reviewing games for an iPod touch, many of which include MOVEMENT on the actual iPod. Even if there was a program that recorded video on the iPod, the viewer would not see you shaking/tilting/moving the iPod. So really all you would record was the game and you could only discuss quality, etc.
Just something you should consider
coolman827 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:36 PM   #6
ifigureditout
macrumors newbie

I know how you can do it... no app required

I know how you can do it... no app required. Get one of those video/audio output cords (for connecting ipod to tv) that goes into the jack in the bottom, then plug that into a capture card, which you would then plug into the TV. use the capture card to record what you see on the TV. all the stuff u need plus a GIANT SCREEN.
ifigureditout is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:59 AM   #7
Slopi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifigureditout View Post
I know how you can do it... no app required. Get one of those video/audio output cords (for connecting ipod to tv) that goes into the jack in the bottom, then plug that into a capture card, which you would then plug into the TV. use the capture card to record what you see on the TV. all the stuff u need plus a GIANT SCREEN.
The AV Output cables do not display the ipod during use of all apps. Most use you can get is from the Videos on your ipod, or pictures. Games, apps and other uses will not be displayed to a TV via video cables. If your iDev is jailbroken, you can get ScreenSplitr from Cydia, which will mirror everything you do on the ipod/iphone to a TV via the AV cables, but even then, the frame-rate suffers, and is not sufficient for recording game-play.
Slopi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch