Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blvdeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Cliffside Park, NJ
I was told that OS X10.3 couldn't get spyware. I just found out that in the window's version, at least, Limewire installs spyware. What about macs? Do we also get the spyware?

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
That's a pretty interesting question. LimeWire is a cross-platform Java-based application for sending and receiving data across the network, so why wouldn't they be able to make the spyware component cross-platform Java too?

I enjoyed using LimeWire back in the day, and if I were still doing P2P I'd probably pay them the $10 or whatever to get the spyware-free version.

Cheers,

Crikey

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Nermal
Because the spyware is made by a third party, and isn't written in Java.

Quite right. The spyware isn't really integrated, but some apps will double-check that the spyware is running, so if you remove it, you disable the original program. i'm of course talking about kazaa.

fortunately i do not believe spyware authors will find it worthwhile to code for Mac for a while... OS X would prove very tricky in some ways, and they just don't stand to make enough money to justify learning how. it's good to be underrated.

paul

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
...can't believe there are people still using Limewire...there are so much better programs/methods of getting what you want these days...:eek:...Limewire is such a POS :p

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Hah, pretty much any "popular" program out there in the Windows world could contain spyware--and that is the #1 reason not to go to CNet.com to d/l the "latest and greatest" utility to "speed up Windows XP".

I suppose if everyone followed my Firebird (or should i say Firefox) and Spybot:S&D diet we woulnd't have secretaries/workers screwing up the networks at offices across the world.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
Originally posted by Mav451
I suppose if everyone followed my Firebird (or should i say Firefox) and Spybot:S&D diet we woulnd't have secretaries/workers screwing up the networks at offices across the world.

Heh, and alot of IT people would loose there jobs :)

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Lazyboy922: You can start by installing Spybot: S&D; you can find it here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

After you install it, make sure you update the detection to Feb 2, 2004 (the most recent). To do this, first run the program (advanced mode).

You will see the main screen--click on Search for updates. Sometimes the update might not start, so just select another mirror and retry. After the update is downloaded and installed, you can being scanning.

Click the Search & Destroy button which looks like 2 windows with a magnifying glass.

After the scanning is finished, click fix selected problems to remove the spyware.

If you still use IE, i highly recommend you go to the Immunize tab. Make sure you get both the Permanent IE immunity and the bad download blocker installed.

Then you are good to go :)

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by edesignuk
...can't believe there are people still using Limewire...there are so much better programs/methods of getting what you want these days...:eek:...Limewire is such a POS :p

What are you talking about ?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I'm pretty sure Limewire is adware, but prolly not spyware. Spyware typically runs all the time recording stuff on your computer to be sent back to the HQ or something. Adware are the banner advertisements in the limewire app itself. If you have spyware on the Mac, I believe it'd be pointed out when you boot (the loading window showing stuff starting up) or definitely be present in you process window once logged in. Either was, I'm sure spyware would require a root password to install to be able to work properly.

This is why I hate that in 10.3.2 that any app can change system level files with only a password. Before, if I'm correct, to change something in root owned folders one had to sudo in terminal, which IMO, is a lot securer.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
...or Acquisition

You see THIS product I know has spyware.

Dave, the Devolper has added features so that even if you pay for the software he can remotely kill your subscription.

He is also a total a--h--e generally.

If you post about a problem sometimes he just deletes your thread giving you no warning what so ever...

Limewire -- Bloated.
Acquisition -- Dave for one thing...Spyware possibly.
acqlite -- Based on Limewire Code, but Open Source. (acquisition but better
here )
Poisoned -- I've had only a glowing experience with Poisoned... very helpful, great application.
mLMac -- Hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far...I like it, but it needs to be more stable.
iTMS -- Well... It supports the RIAA. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.