Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:09 PM   #1
KidneyMerchant
macrumors member

Question Prepaid SIM card LG/Net 10 - UNLOCKED iPhone

I have an iPhone unlocked both via software and through TurboSim (hardware unlock). I don't have a sim card in it because I've got a Net 10/LG prepaid piece-of-crap phone whose sim won't work in my iPhone; it says "No Service" even though I obviously do have service.

Is there any way I can use this sim card and get rid of my other phone?
KidneyMerchant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:47 PM   #2
goosnarrggh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidneyMerchant View Post
I have an iPhone unlocked both via software and through TurboSim (hardware unlock). I don't have a sim card in it because I've got a Net 10/LG prepaid piece-of-crap phone whose sim won't work in my iPhone; it says "No Service" even though I obviously do have service.

Is there any way I can use this sim card and get rid of my other phone?
From a quick Google search, it appears that a Net 10 "SIM" card doesn't really work the same way as most SIM cards. It seems to be "reverse-locked".

That is to say, in a conventional SIM locking arrangement, the phone knows what network it "belongs to", and it will reject any SIM which was issued by any competing networks.

In a Net 10 SIM, the SIM card itself also knows the IMEI of the phone it was originally paired with, and it will reject any phone which reports a different IMEI.

http://reviews.ebay.com/TRACFONE-NET...00000001818964

You'd need to either hack the iPhone to report a different IMEI, or else figure out a way to modify the TurboSIM so that it relays fake information in both directions - a fake MNC/MCC to the iPhone to make it think it's on AT&T, and a fake IMEI to the SIM card to make it think it's inserted in its original paired phone.
goosnarrggh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2009, 03:03 AM   #3
itzdemo
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to itzdemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosnarrggh View Post
From a quick Google search, it appears that a Net 10 "SIM" card doesn't really work the same way as most SIM cards. It seems to be "reverse-locked".

That is to say, in a conventional SIM locking arrangement, the phone knows what network it "belongs to", and it will reject any SIM which was issued by any competing networks.

In a Net 10 SIM, the SIM card itself also knows the IMEI of the phone it was originally paired with, and it will reject any phone which reports a different IMEI.

http://reviews.ebay.com/TRACFONE-NET...00000001818964

You'd need to either hack the iPhone to report a different IMEI, or else figure out a way to modify the TurboSIM so that it relays fake information in both directions - a fake MNC/MCC to the iPhone to make it think it's on AT&T, and a fake IMEI to the SIM card to make it think it's inserted in its original paired phone.
Why not just call them and set up a new account with the iphones IMEI number.

That's what i just did with my T-Mobile pre-paid SIM..

I think i got a NET10 phone laying around there somewhere.. i'll try it and see what they say..

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone