Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Benjer
macrumors member

Connecting PC and Mac via Ethernet Cable

I have a question about how to connect an intel Mac (OS 10.5 Leopard) to a PC (XP) via an ethernet cable to move files from the PC to the Mac. Apple's page on the subject is as follows (http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/):
Quote:
Direct connect
To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:

1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
smb://DNSname/ShareName
smb://IPaddress/ShareName
5. Click Connect.
6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
9. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.
However, I am very illiterate when it comes to Windows and have the following questions:

How do I find the computer's IP address (I believe it is behind a router, which means I cannot use a website such as www.whatismyip.com)?

If this isn't possible with the router, how do I assign an IP address to the PC and the Mac (this is a solution I've read elsewhere)?

What is the "DNSname"?

I will be moving files for a friend tomorrow and do have my trusty hard drive ready (which is how I usually do it), but I would prefer the more elegant method of connecting via an ethernet cable. Please do not fear condescending me, the more information and detail the better. Thanks in advance for your help!
Benjer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:11 AM   #2
plinden
macrumors 68040

Since you'll be connecting directly, the IP address won't be assigned by a router. "DNSName" is likely the computer name - e.g. your Mac's name may be "benjers-computer.local" - something like that.

I have never actually connected a PC and Mac like this, but generally you can see the IP address by opening a DOS window (Start -> Run -> type "cmd"). In the window, type "ipconfig".

You'll also need to enable file sharing on the PC before you can use samba (via smb://...)
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:17 AM   #3
amersault
macrumors member

whatsmyip.com only works for boxes that are on the net. correct me if i'm wrong but it susses out what the IP address of your router box on the net is.

if you want your individual computer IP, you really do need to pull up IPCONFIG in terminal mode.
amersault is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help