Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well with the arrival of my iPod Mini I thought it was time to send my 3rd gen iPod into Apple to be fixed. It is about 7 months old and has several problems. First the battery has worn down to about 5 hours, which I don't know if the constitues replacement or not, this I can live with. My main gripe is that I get the "Check Disk" error frequently when I sync it to my computer. It also will randomly skip chunks of songs while I am listening to it. Like 20 songs, it will just advance right past them. Oh yeah and the screen freezes up sometimes as well. I can still advance, but the song on the display wont change. Anyways, I filled out Apples online request for to send it in to be fixed. While it is still under warranty they told me it will cost me $30 to have to shipped to and from Apple. I think this is kind of a rip. $30 to get an item fixed under warranty??? I called Apple and they told me there was nothing they could do. Does anyone else think this is a bit ridiculous, or am I just making a big deal out of nothing?

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I don't know if your issues constitute replacement, seems kinda borderline to me. If you have a local Apple Store you could try brining it in, they might do it for free.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
just phone apple, don't use the online thing...usually when i do that, and i'm not supposed to, they end up agreeing to service anyways.

And i sent my iPod in and wasn't charged anything...this could be because i'm in canada though.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by Phatpat
I don't know if your issues constitute replacement, seems kinda borderline to me. If you have a local Apple Store you could try brining it in, they might do it for free.
apple stores will do it for you for free :D very nice :D

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
same with me

yes this happened to me to and it bugged the hell out of me. thought the warreny is a year the shipping warrenty is only 6 months (180 days). of course thats somewhere in the fine print.

really upset me

its these types of things that make me question my loyalty to apple. i feel i deserve free shipping with my warrenty for that 1 year period when ithink of how much i buy and support them

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by übergeek
one year i believe.

two in total.

I meant the shipping warranrty, if you have applecare can you avoid that $30 fee?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Wow, this is a real jip... I had no idea... I've always hated Apple's cheap warranties... but this is really bad.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
That sucks :p .. i'm waiting for a day when a company accepts responcibility for problems (especially when they can afford it) and realises that if it is loyal to its customers then they will be loyal back.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Does this apply to all Apple hardware past 30 days? If so, does applecare on the hardware remove the fee?

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I am about 95% sure that AppleCare covers the shipping and also covers other things not covered by the 1 year warranty. And this is really not that bad. Many manufacturers have a 1 year parts/90 days labor limited warranty. I don't know how long they cover shipping. At least you don't have to pay the labor with Apple. That would be much more than $30.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.