Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 25, 2004, 01:38 PM   #1
JesseJames
macrumors 6502a

Best Mac Utility App???

Well, I just bought Norton Utilities 8.0 and I'm damn disappointed. Again.
I resent the fact that I have to buy these programs when they should be included with the computer.
Is TechTool Pro 4 any better than Norton's? I used them when I was on OS 9 and they were okay.

Norton's just seems to miss things. I diagnose and repair disk one day then do it again and it still finds major errors. Even if I'd hardly done anything on the computer between time.

933Mghz G4, 1.25GB RAM
OS 10.3.9
JesseJames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 08:58 PM   #2
wdlove
macrumors 604

I like the way my Norton Utilities 8.0 functions. Just ran it last Sunday after doing several installations. It found major and minor errors, which were fixed. Then I run it a second time, with no errors found. So far I haven't updated to Tech Tools Pro 4. It always seemed that they would each find different problems. At least it kept my OS 9 humming along.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:21 PM   #3
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
I have horror stories about Norton Products... and inconviences...

Like the fact that i can't uninstall mine...

Ah damn.

It also seems this thread is a bit misplaced....

IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:36 AM   #4
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Re: Best Mac Utility App???

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseJames
Well, I just bought Norton Utilities 8.0 and I'm damn disappointed. Again.
I resent the fact that I have to buy these programs when they should be included with the computer.
I take the other side of that argument. Look at the wealth of utilities included with OS X. Among all that stuff you don't see any hard core disk utilities. I think that's a hint that you don't need them.

Most Mac users (in the general population, not on message boards) don't use any utilities and don't have any problems. They don't even repair permissions. I don't think anything "should" be included that isn't there already.

Wait until you have a problem that Disk Utility or fsck can't fix, which will likely never happen, and then buy Tech Tool or something like that.
Horrortaxi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:42 AM   #5
Westside guy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally posted by wdlove
I like the way my Norton Utilities 8.0 functions. Just ran it last Sunday after doing several installations. It found major and minor errors, which were fixed. Then I run it a second time, with no errors found. So far I haven't updated to Tech Tools Pro 4. It always seemed that they would each find different problems. At least it kept my OS 9 humming along.
Ah, but remember that OS 9 was a completely different beast. OS X may have a similar GUI goodness, but it has almost nothing in common with OS 9 down at the level where it matters. It's a complete rewrite.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:44 AM   #6
superbovine
macrumors 68030

IMOP there isn't any software that you could download for free that norton does. since you have unix at your command with os x, basically you are pretty much covered.
superbovine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 04:18 AM   #7
m4rc
macrumors 6502

I had noting but touble with my PB when Norton was installed on it. System would crash, long long boot times, freezes for several minutes and loads more rubbish. When I finally managed to delete it all, I have had a very stable system ever since. As others have said, if it was really needed, it would be on here already.

Marc
m4rc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 07:09 PM   #8
dukemeiser
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to dukemeiser Send a message via Yahoo to dukemeiser
I've got no complaints about DiskWarrior. Norton however...
dukemeiser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store