Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Development appears to be wrapping up on Mac OS X 10.3.3. The latest seed notes posted on MacNews.net.tc seem to indicate that development is wrapping up.

Key changes listed include improved file sharing and directory services, PostScript and USB printing, font management, updated Disk Utility, DVD Player, Image Capture, Mail and Safari applications and updated drivers.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
I always like updates...I can't wait....new features please! :)

As for the improved file sharing....on my all windows network that I join via 802.11b, I hope it'll be easier (and more consistant) to see the other folders on the other computers. Here's to hope!

Gorbag

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
West London
ANy news on mLan? The main thing that is holding me back from buying a Yamaha 01-X is the neccessary support that is supposed to be in 10.3.3.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Re: Mac OS X 10.3.3 7F34

Originally posted by Macrumors
development is wrapping up.

Oh good, so we'll see PB G5s tomorrow (or next Tuesday). Wonderful news. Just kidding.

Seriously, I would interested in seeing if there are changes to support new PM G5s (PM, not PB) in there.

What I found interesting was that they said "This build (Safari) seems a bit crashy, sadly." Wonder if that is isolated.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Every update has a windows file sharing update. Let's hope they get it right this time because it is one of their main advertised feature (integration on a windows network). Thus far, I only had limited succes working on a windows network.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
I have liked 10.3 - except for mail.

Has anyone else had a problem with 10.3 (all updates applied) and Mail.app?

I hope this update addresses my issue. I send in a bug report some 8 -10 times a day. (Mail_unexpectedly quits) Otherwise Panther is very solid.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by adzoox
I have liked 10.3 - except for mail.

Has anyone else had a problem with 10.3 (all updates applied) and Mail.app?

Mail never crashed on me in 10.2 and 10.3

Maybe it's hardware specific. What's your Mac?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by machan
is it too much to hope filesharing goes back to the ease of use we had with jaguar?

Thank god! I'm not the only thinking that. How is it it worked in 10.2 and now it does'nt work as fine in 10.3? 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 adressed this issue but did not fix it. Strange.

arby

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2002
Ireland
Mail Update

I'm hoping that they have fixed the unexpected crash, seems to occur when the junk mail settings are corrupted.

I send in 10 + bug reports on a daily basis dur to this bug alone.

Anyone using this build, is there a speed improvement?

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
does anyone know if it fixes the load time issue that was introduced with X.3.2 ????

Also I see the developer release of xcode is currently at 1.1.1 .... do you reckon both will be released at the same time??

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by srobert
Every update has a windows file sharing update. Let's hope they get it right this time because it is one of their main advertised feature (integration on a windows network). Thus far, I only had limited succes working on a windows network.
Agreed. Trying to make my Powerbook talk to other computers on the Windows network at work is a pain in the ass. I'd really love a way to create network shortcuts -- for example, there are network shares that I access all the time, and it'd be nice not to have to navigate to them everytime. I'd like the ability to put a shortcut on my desktop, and so far, I haven't found one. Making an alias to it does not work...

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Originally posted by machan
is it too much to hope filesharing goes back to the ease of use we had with jaguar?

I won't ask for anything else if they can make filesharing work right. I promise!

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
No new features

I'd like someone to supply a precedent for new features in an x.x.x release.

I may be wrong and I stand to be corrected but it ain't gonna happen. I don't think there have EVER been changes to functionality in any such release.

Think about it for a minute. Not everyone who uses a Mac is as passionate about the platform as us lot, and you know some people might actually use the printed manual that comes in the box. If Apple goes and makes fundamental changes to functionality in a regular update (AND THIS INCLUDES THE WAY FILE SHARING WORKS AT THE MOMENT) where would this leave those users. Their manuals would suddenly be wrong. There has never been a popup box appear when you do an OS update saying "Oh this has changed and now works like this, and there's this new feature we should make you aware of".

New features are only doable in an x.x release so you'll have to wait for 10.4 if Apple are going to backtrack on the new way that sharing works.

Updates are updates. UpGRADES are upgrades. Stop wishing for things that won't happen.

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Originally posted by MattG
Agreed. Trying to make my Powerbook talk to other computers on the Windows network at work is a pain in the ass. I'd really love a way to create network shortcuts -- for example, there are network shares that I access all the time, and it'd be nice not to have to navigate to them everytime. I'd like the ability to put a shortcut on my desktop, and so far, I haven't found one. Making an alias to it does not work...

"Connect to Server..." (Apple-K)

Save as favorite.

For me it is just a few keystrokes to get to a common server. Apple-K, Tab, and Arrow keys to select.

You can also set up an Applescript and assign a keyboard command to instantly access any server (from any application).

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Mail Update

Originally posted by arby
I'm hoping that they have fixed the unexpected crash, seems to occur when the junk mail settings are corrupted.

I send in 10 + bug reports on a daily basis dur to this bug alone.

Anyone using this build, is there a speed improvement?
Your junk mail settings get corrupted 10+ times a day? There is a serious incompatibility with your setup. If I had an application that crashed that many times a day, I'd be moving on to something else, no?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Key changes listed include improved file sharing and directory services, PostScript and USB printing, font management, updated Disk Utility, DVD Player, Image Capture, Mail and Safari applications and updated drivers.

All good, necessary changes. Especially networking and printing, two areas I felt were a step backwards with 10.3.

Hope this is also a sign that some new hardware goodies are in store. Other than the iPod mini, we really haven't had any significant hardware announcements since last WWDC. Maybe with the economy (supposedly) picking up, Apple will release a torrent of new stuff.

KentuckyApple

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Chicago, IL
finder refresh

I hope they fix the fact that Finder refresh takes about 2 seconds. It was instantaneous in OS9 and not so good in 10.2. 10.3 is just terrible.

Ge4-ce

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Belgium
They forgot to mention the HUGE OPenGL update that would be in 10.3.3!!

This update should have following features:

Improved speed for games and OpenGL apps going from 10 to 30% depending on system!!!

It should fix a lot of bugs that affected a couple of apps: MAya, Lightwave and other 3D apps that use openGL..

10.3 broke more things than you can imagine!

I don't say it isn't a good OS, it rocks! especially with the new features, but it has cost me and a lot of other people a lot of years of our lives the last 4 months! All because of the OPenGL problem

rfenik

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2003
Mail needs to be fixed. It doesn't send, i have to use microsoft entourage to send. Mail recieves mail ok tho....

-ko

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I have two systems with 10.3. Mail is 100% stable on one, the other crashes all the time.

The difference? One has that httpmail plugin installed. the other doesn't. I've just been blaming the httpmail plug-in. maybe it's something else, but when you hack software and that software crashes, it's a good bet the hack caused it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.