'Large Screen iPod Touch Device' in Fall of 2009? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Large Screen iPod Touch Device' in Fall of 2009?

TechCrunch claims to have heard from three independent sources that Apple will be releasing a "large screen iPod touch device" with a 7-9 inch screen. According to the site, one of their sources have actually seen and handled one of the prototypes.
Quote:
Apple has been experimenting internally with large form tablet devices for years, one source says, but there was concern that users wouldn’t like the device. The difference now is the iTunes app store, which has thousands of games and other applications that are perfect for a touch screen device with an accelerometer.
The new device is said to be compatible with the applications in the App Store and is expected to be released in the Fall of 2009.

While TechCrunch does not frequently report on original Apple rumors, the information is consistent with historically reliable sources that Apple was working on a mini-tablet or PDA-like device about 1.5x the size of the current iPhone.

Article Link: 'Large Screen iPod Touch Device' in Fall of 2009?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:11 PM   #2
BigD58
macrumors regular

Here comes the tablet.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:11 PM   #3
jfriedman8
macrumors regular

So, if the app store is the deciding factor we're looking at a glorified iPhone/ iPod Touch.... Great.
jfriedman8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:11 PM   #4
cshale210
macrumors member

so...a tablet/gaming device?
cshale210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:11 PM   #5
HiRez
macrumors 601

I guess my question is how do you carry that and why is that better than a small laptop? It's too big for a pocket, you need to carry it laptop-style anyway, but it'll have a smaller screen than a laptop and probably no physical keyboard and less ports, so where's the advantage?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Solemony
macrumors 6502

That'd be nice..I'm thinking of getting one on my Birthday next year..
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:12 PM   #7

Would be nice, maybe this is their answer to the netbook / net-tablet. Lets hope that it has some USB ports. I would really like one with OS X, that I can run iwork and a few other apps on.
137489 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Tallest Skil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
I guess my question is how do you carry that and why is that better than a small laptop? It's too big for a pocket, you need to carry it laptop-style anyway, but it'll have a smaller screen than a laptop and probably no physical keyboard and less ports, so where's the advantage?
Bingo. The ONLY point in a larger touchscreen device comes with the 13.3" MacTablet (like the one in my sig).

Runs full OS X, slab format, full multitouch interface... It's like a ModBook, only far better.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:13 PM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Seems the iPod Touch would be bordering on a netbook. Now, I don't tend to wear pants with pockets 7" wide, but I've seen kids with pants that could carry a small army in the ass. Maybe that's the target demographic.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:17 PM   #10
ageis
macrumors newbie

This would be an sys admin's dream, saying it could run OS X or at least a few key apps. Managing networking and systems on an iphone is borderline impossible. Doing it on my airbook is by far the best solution to date, but something smaller and versatile would be amazing. 7-9" tablet + touch screen + stylus ability + terminal = sold for me
ageis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:19 PM   #11
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Sounds like MacWorld is going to better than just Phill Schiller explaining (making excuses) about why Steve himself couldn't be there.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:20 PM   #12
MacGohil
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to MacGohil
This will the Nintendo DS and PSP killer.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Apple Tablet Not Nano (ATNN) confirmed?

Rocketman
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:21 PM   #14
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Awesome, can't wait for this.

One of the advantages of having this for me is to read ebooks, especially PDFs and email/web browsing around the house or in car/plane/subway/trains without taking out my 17" mbp.

With wireless, it could be used as a thin client as well, worth using for SysAdmins like me who brings laptop to clients all around the building.

Of course the biggest problem is going to be the battery, as long as it is more than 3 hours it should be an awesome thin client.
MikhailT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:23 PM   #15
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Sounds like MacWorld is going to better than just Phill Schiller explaining (making excuses) about why Steve himself couldn't be there.
Satellite convo where Steve says either "good job", or better yet, "one more thing"!!

Rocketman
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:25 PM   #16
scarletbiro
macrumors member

Yes please

I have no need of this. I probably couldn't afford it safely. I already have an iPod Touch and a PowerBook.

Yet I feel strangely drawn to it, like a moth to a lightbulb. WOULD BUY
scarletbiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:30 PM   #17
funkyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbiro View Post
I have no need of this. I probably couldn't afford it safely. I already have an iPod Touch and a PowerBook.

that just means ur a fanboy haha
don't worry i was thinking the same thing lol
this is what went through my mind: 'hmmm tablet huh? that's kinda useless....i'd so much prefer a netbook with a keyboard and a touchscreen, now that i would actually use....but hey i'd probably buy one anyway...just coz it'd be cool
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:30 PM   #18
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageis View Post
This would be an sys admin's dream, saying it could run OS X or at least a few key apps. Managing networking and systems on an iphone is borderline impossible. Doing it on my airbook is by far the best solution to date, but something smaller and versatile would be amazing. 7-9" tablet + touch screen + stylus ability + terminal = sold for me
Yes it would.

Much easier than carrying around a laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post
One of the advantages of having this for me is to read ebooks, especially PDFs and email/web browsing around the house or in car/plane/subway/trains without taking out my 17" mbp.
Agree. As electronic magazines and publications become more popular, this would be an added benefit.

Quote:

I think that is a common trait of many on MR.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:32 PM   #19
rickeym
macrumors member

Quote:

Must not Want, must not want.........me want, me want.
rickeym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:32 PM   #20
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

So analysts say there will be an iPhone Nano and now an iPod Touch Mega in addition to the regular iPhone/Touch. So much for hitting the same home run over and over.

And a bigger Touch just to run App Store apps isn't really useful. It'll have to run full OS X and regular apps, but then there is the touch interface issue.
commander.data is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:33 PM   #21
JAQ
macrumors regular

"Prototype" does not equal "Future Product".

Apple (and Dell and HP and so on) have a lot of things they are working on that will never be fully developed and released as products.
JAQ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:35 PM   #22
cash4chaos
Banned

Just what I want !

My friend and I were talking about this kind of device today !
Hope it has usb to load pictures on . And wouldn't it be cool if it had a sim card 3g slot !!!!
cash4chaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Other than gaming... If it is thin enough, think of people who could use it in a portfolio. Imagine OS X (inkwell / handwriting recognition), and if it has enough ram and storage; imagine having all your docs in a mini portfolio rather than an entire laptop bag. great for sales people on the go.

Sorry, did not have time for a proper photoshop.

then couple that with the slide in docking patent that led to people producing this mockup (yes I googled this one)

Sound like a winner to me. If I had that and my livescribe pulse smart pen, who would need regular paper anymore.

Then I would have this and everything I need on the road. No more laptop bag.

just imagine having this tucked into a little journal sized portfolio (thus the need for 1 or 2 USB ports - for the cradle and loading my apps).

Can someone with time and who is good with photoshop take my attached thumbnail of the tablet in a journal and hook it to the liverscribe pulse pen? this would give you what I mean.

Last edited by 137489; Jan 6, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
137489 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:37 PM   #24
brad.c
macrumors 68020

That would fill the future gadget hole that will coincide with the end of my iPod's AppleCare coverage (and inevitable breakage forthwith), and the economic recovery in 2010 that I'll need to justify another purchase.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:38 PM   #25
Eric S.
macrumors 68040

They may have built a prototype but it's highly unlikely this is going to become a product any time soon.
Eric S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion