Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Mar 1, 2004, 03:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Lucky Bag Contents

Apple's San Francisco Apple Store opened this weekend.

Unique to this opening was the sale of Lucky Bags containing Apple products. The $250 bags were said to contain between $600-$1000 of products, but the contents were secret.

One reader posted about his Lucky Bags.

According to natekendrick, there were at least 3 variations of the Lucky Bags. All bags contained iLife, Keynote, .Mac subscription, 10% Discount card, Bluetooth USB adapter, Wireless Mouse, and a Wireless Keyboard. Beyond this, some bags contained an Airport Extreme, an iPod Mini or a 20GB iPod.

Photos of the Bag Contents.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 03:39 AM   #2
JDOG_
macrumors 6502a

That's a lot of stuff for $250!

I'd jump on that deal in a second! Just the Airport Extreme alone puts the bag at around $200, not to mention the rest of the stuff! Nice work Apple....wish I was there!
JDOG_ is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 03:47 AM   #3
punter
macrumors 6502

two ratings, one positive, one negative. If that negative voter would like to sell me their bag for $250 I'd do it in a flash
Old Mar 1, 2004, 03:53 AM   #4
Nik_Doof
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Nik_Doof Send a message via Skype™ to Nik_Doof
Nice,

Gratz to all those lucky SOBs who got there hands on one of these bags.
I Switched To Mac On: 15th October 2003
Nik_Doof is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 04:14 AM   #5
kugino
macrumors 65816

i'm one of those lucky SOBs...we had a blast staying up all night. the biggest prize, however, went to matt, our buddy who flew in from scotland just for the opening. found out about it friday morning in scotland, booked a ticket, and then was waiting in line by 8 pm friday evening in s.f. dedication.

my wife and i got the same bags...the airport extreme base station...we only heard of two bags with ipods in 'em. nevertheless, the anticipation and just the possibility that an ipod could be in the bag was worth it. most of the other stuff is on ebay now...and i figure things will sell for more than the bag cost...AND, i got to keep a few items for myself. thank you mr. jobs for my (free) airport extreme station and for two years of (free) .Mac.
kugino is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 04:44 AM   #6
leenoble
macrumors member

Bluetooth/Airport Extreme

I would have been disapointed with the AE Base station because it would mean I'd have to buy a new Mac to use its capabilities.
But the bluetooth adaptor would be useful since none of my Macs have BT.

I think there is a very limited crossover with those two products. How many Macs came Non-Bluetooth enabled but WITH Airport Extreme?

If you have an older Mac you can't use the Base Station (fully).
If you have a newer Mac you have no need of the BT adaptor.
leenoble is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 05:04 AM   #7
alset
macrumors 65816

My bag is also for sale on eBay. In addition to the bags, we met some really great people (kugino, for example). Best time I've ever had in a line.

Dan
Old Mar 1, 2004, 05:05 AM   #8
Savage Henry
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors

According to natekendrick, there were at least 3 variations of the Lucky Bags. All bags contained iLife, Keynote, .Mac subscription, 10% Discount card, Bluetooth USB adapter, Wireless Mouse, and a Wireless Keyboard. Beyond this, some bags contained an Airport Extreme, an iPod Mini or a 20GB iPod.

Photos of the Bag Contents.
I'm a reasonably cynical old duffer, but that doesn't sound like a bad stash, and I would have been happy with my 250 clam gamble.

From the I Ching
Savage Henry is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 06:34 AM   #9
hvfsl
macrumors 68000

I actually said the bag would contain most of those things. Too bad I live over 8000 miles away.
Media Centre - 3Ghz i3 G5500 BluRay Windows 7
hvfsl is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 08:13 AM   #10
Little Endian
macrumors 6502a

Great Promo!

That is what I call a promo! I would have bought a bag for $250 even if I did not know it's contents as long as the contents were valued between $800-$1000. That's the kind of Promo that Apple should offer at it's online Apple Store! Something like buy a new mac and receive the option of buying a Lucky Bag for $250 thru March 27, much better than the Epson Printer rebate and the Ram for less Promos that they are currently offering.
That would really get existing imac and PowerMacs out of the way for New releases next month.
Little Endian is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 08:22 AM   #11
Photorun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by punter
two ratings, one positive, one negative. If that negative voter would like to sell me their bag for $250 I'd do it in a flash
Feh! I voted negative. iLife? Free with new computer. Keynote? How many people really need Apple's version of PowerPoint? Wireless mouse? One button, totally worthless to almost all professional Mac users (of which I'm one), .Mac? You're kidding me right? Lackluster ISP if you can call it that, no dial up numbers, you have to have that separately. Bluetooth adapter? Uh... why? Not everyone has BT devices.

I was thinking these would be full of some actual electronic good swag, if you ask me these are bags full of things most people don't want/need, sounds like Apple was merely clearing inventory of things that can't sell.

Now if I got a bag with an iPod Mini, I'd feel like I've scored, the other stuff would look nice... in my closet and/or not used.
Photorun is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 09:13 AM   #12
lemurs
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenoble
I would have been disapointed with the AE Base station because it would mean I'd have to buy a new Mac to use its capabilities.
Hence the 10% off discount card! Easily saves you another $100-$500 on your next Mac, depending on how fancy you are.
lemurs is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 09:25 AM   #13
AirUncleP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurs
Hence the 10% off discount card! Easily saves you another $100-$500 on your next Mac, depending on how fancy you are.
I would bet there are restrictions on the 10% off. Anyone?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 09:26 AM   #14
sparkleytone
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to sparkleytone
those bags are eBay jewels. well worth the investment just to turn a profit the next day
sparkleytone is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 09:51 AM   #15
FriarTuck
macrumors 6502

So... nobody got the head of Bill Gates?

Maybe next time.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:11 AM   #16
the_mole1314
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to the_mole1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photorun
Feh! I voted negative. iLife? Free with new computer. Keynote? How many people really need Apple's version of PowerPoint? Wireless mouse? One button, totally worthless to almost all professional Mac users (of which I'm one), .Mac? You're kidding me right? Lackluster ISP if you can call it that, no dial up numbers, you have to have that separately. Bluetooth adapter? Uh... why? Not everyone has BT devices.

I was thinking these would be full of some actual electronic good swag, if you ask me these are bags full of things most people don't want/need, sounds like Apple was merely clearing inventory of things that can't sell.

Now if I got a bag with an iPod Mini, I'd feel like I've scored, the other stuff would look nice... in my closet and/or not used.
And you would rather use PowerPoint, or the ****ty Appleworks presentation sofware? I'd die for a bag like this! Keynote is part of my life now, the bluetooth keyboard is awsome, same with the mouse, even if it's one button. Don't forget about the Airport Base Station and the 10% off card too, that adds a lot to the bag.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:55 AM   #17
Gravity
macrumors regular

re: pros and one button mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photorun
One button, totally worthless to almost all professional Mac users (of which I'm one)
I'm a professional mac user, and I have absolutely no problem using my Apple Pro Mouse (one button) for all my photoshop, illustrator, Indesign/Quark work. Doesn't bother ME one bit.

Don't lump all professionals together. Different strokes, you know?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:05 PM   #18
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirUncleP
I would bet there are restrictions on the 10% off. Anyone?
I sure that Apple has put restrictions on its use. It will be interesting to fin out the particulars. I hope that it won't be just on one item like software. At least it should be on a new Mac.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:00 PM   #19
Bob Knob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenoble
You do realize that AE is 100% compatible with any version of Apple wireless gear don't you...
Bob Knob is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:06 PM   #20
FlamDrag
macrumors 6502

I'd love to have a one-button mouse for casual home use to supplement my tablet use at work. I would have loved to get one of those bags. I own keynote, but other than that, it would not have been the least bit redundant.

However, for many mid-level mac heads and super mac heads I can see how the bags could have been quite a disappointment.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:07 PM   #21
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkleytone
those bags are eBay jewels. well worth the investment just to turn a profit the next day
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...pple+lucky+bag

So far not so bad

And I bet some will be a 100% return on investment

And this one is unopened....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2&category=171

D

Last edited by Mr. Anderson; Mar 1, 2004 at 01:09 PM.
Mr. Anderson is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:21 PM   #22
kugino
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlove
I sure that Apple has put restrictions on its use. It will be interesting to fin out the particulars. I hope that it won't be just on one item like software. At least it should be on a new Mac.
according to the term and conditions of the gift card, it is good toward and one purchase at the store. hardware, software, accessories, etc. you just can't use it toward the purchase of a gift certificate. and it can't be combined with other promotions (so i'm assuming you can't use both the education discount and the gift card)
kugino is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:30 PM   #23
elo
macrumors regular

Not to delve too deeply into the one-button vs. two-button debate, but as a point of fact, many design professionals prefer the Apple one-button mouse. (And it was designed with that group, NOT new/inexperienced users) in mind. Designers are and always have been a critical core of Apple's users, and many of them are after the best pointing tool, not necessarily the mouse with the most features.

As far as the bag goes, if you're itemizing the contents as one person did, then the promotion isn't for you. The point is to take a chance; not everyone "wins." If you don't want to spend your money this way, then don't. But some of us really like taking this sort of gamble. (If you *do* get an iPod mini, or even the AE base station, then you've really made a haul!)

elo
elo is offline   0
Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:43 PM   #24
Omad0n
macrumors regular

What an awsome promo. I could really use a close to free airport base station, as well as most of the otehr stuff. just wish I had been anywhere near the opening
Old Mar 1, 2004, 03:27 PM   #25
MacFan25
macrumors 68000

It seems like quite a deal at $250. I know I would be tempted to buy one if given the chance.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)