Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

801FuNk801

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
No matter what i do I can not get quickpwn to get past the step where on the bottom it says "quickpwn is about to run on your iPhone 3g" I left it for 5 hours tonight and it just stayed in the same damn place.. Any ideas guys?? I tried to uninstall/ reinstall, another download, restart my machine (intel iMac) I dont know what to do next. Any help would be awesome. Thanks, Travis

tntitan0504

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
So... I figured it out. You were right. It was the 10.5.6 because I used my friends mac which was running 10.5.4 and it worked perfectly the first time through.

Thanks good luck to everyone else. Hopefully if you have the same issue you will be able to use this info.

sfaguy

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
All you have to do to fix this is connect the iPhone through a USB hub and voila :)

can you explain why using a USB hub work? so for people who has 10.5.6 or the new unibody macbook that has the new version of the IOUSBFamily which prevents the phone to go into DFU mode, you are saying by using a USB hub, this bypasses using the IOUSB driver on your Mac?

is this even possible? can anyone validate this?

strikingviking

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
I am using a nine month old Macbook with the 10.5.6 and have no other computer available. What should I do?

sfaguy

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
I am using a nine month old Macbook with the 10.5.6 and have no other computer available. What should I do?

if what the other says using a USB hub works, then you are home free. if not, you need to (1) use the IOUSBFamily file from 10.5.5 and follow the instruction posted by odotan to modify the file, or (2) go back to 10.5.5?

anyone else has other suggestions?

minicoop503

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I had this same problem and connected it through my usb hub. It seems to be working now. Thank you!

Appler

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
For those who get this through google, just use something to mediate the USB cables. Its surprising nobody addressed this in the guides made available online.
After reading this post, i was able to connect my mac to an external hard drive with a USB slot (although the hard drive is erroneous it wont mount), and connected the iphone to that slot, Quickpwn worked perfectly.
Another issue I have always had problems with, and am sure others do, is the SIM (when to put it in, when to take the original one out). Just keep the original AT&T one until the very last step, i.e. just switch to the one you will be using right before you are ready to unlock through Cydia.
I tried that, and got a "SIM failure" notice on the iphone, only to see the signal strength burst to full a few seconds later.

Golf4Pro

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
QuicPWN 2.2 and OS X 10.5.6

I had the hardest time using QuickPWN for my 2G iPhone with my 2008 Macbook Pro and OS X 10.5.6
Here is what happened and solution (hope it helps someone because it caused me a full day of searching the internet for solutions!)

FYI: My iPhone was originally jailbroken by ZiPhone and had version 1.1.4

THE PROBLEM:
1: I synced my iPhone in iTunes (version 7.7) for backup my calendar, contacts, photos, etc
2: Installed iTunes 8.0.2
3: Updated iPhone to 2.2
4: Downloaded QuickPWN 2.2
5: All went well until I got to the IPWS (QuickPWN is about to run on your iPhone) and it froze my iPhone and Mac (could not turn off Mac because QuickPWN blocked it...I had to hold down the power button on the Mac to turn it off!).
6: I thought...I BROKE IT!!

THE SOLUTION:
1: For me, the hub on the Mac did not work!...I had to dig out my old PC Windows laptop (running XP)
2: Downloaded iTunes 8.0.2
3: Downloaded QuickPWN 2.2 for Windows
4: Started QuickPWN and it asked for Firmware 2.2 of iPhone (download here http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...h-firmware-software-22-direct-download-links/
5: It asked if I wanted to unlock iPhone (yes!)
6: Then asked for Bootloader v3.9 (download here: http://rapidshare.com/files/175468958/bl-39.bin
7: Asked for Bootloader v4.6 (download here: http://rapidshare.com/files/175469406/bl-46.bin
8: Quickpwn will ask to hold down the home and power keys...just follow the on screen directions (please note: this QuickPWN Windows process is slightly different then the Mac).
9: QuickPWN worked its magic and the iPhone works GREAT!!
10: I went back to the Mac and restored all my old iPhone information through iTunes...perfect!! Contacts, text messages, etc is all there!

That's it! Good luck...the iPhone works great now!! Thanks Dev-Team

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.