Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After Apple announced that Steve Jobs would be not be giving the 2009 Macworld Expo keynote, analyst expectations about the event dropped dramatically.

While Apple did not deliver the expected updates to the iMac and Mac mini, they did provide substantial updates to their iLife and iWork suites and finally introduced the unibody 17" MacBook Pro.

iMac and Mac mini Updates

The most disappointing aspect of Macworld was the lack of updates for the Mac mini and iMac. The Mac mini, in particular, has been long overdue for a refresh, and the recent rumors seemed to indicate that it would finally get some worthy upgrades (dual monitor, FireWire).

While no one could say for sure that the new iMac was coming, two sites (Wired and TUAW) specifically said that Apple would be releasing a new Mac mini at Macworld. The timing was believable, of course, since evidence of the new iMacs and Mac minis have been found buried within Mac OS X, itself. Unfortunately, either timetables changed, or these sites were simply wrong.

It's still clear to us, however, that Mac mini and iMac updates are imminent. Based on whispers we've heard we do feel many of the rumored upgrades surrounding the Mac mini are true. It's just a matter of when.

Macbook Pro 17" - Fixed Battery

The first report that Apple was going to deliver a 17" MacBook Pro with a fixed internal battery came from 9to5Mac. Though the site hedged a bit towards the end, the original information was confirmed by multiple sources.

The use of an extended non-removable battery was unique and accurate and 9to5mac deserves credit for the scoop.

iLife, iWork, Cloud Computing

Perhaps to the relief of many, Apple's push into "cloud" computing was far more limited than originally reported. The information came again from 9to5mac but was described as far more an ambitious plan than what was seen at this year's Macworld.

Original reports claimed Apple would migrate iWork and iLife functionality into web-based services. While Apple did release an iWork.com public beta, its functionality is limited to collaboration and document sharing.

Other information from 9to5Mac also detailed celebrity lessons for Garageband which did turn out to be true.

DRM Free

It seems clear that CNet has sources at major music labels and was able to predict that Apple would be launching a full DRM-free store at Macworld.

No iPhone Nano... Yet?

Case manufacturers XSKN and Vaja have both advertised cases for an unreleased iPhone Nano in the weeks leading up to Macworld. And while we still don't see the reasoning behind such a product, it seems clear that the case manufacturers did believe that this product was coming and have actually produced cases based on the leaked specs. In fact, the same spec leaks may also be responsible for the iPhone Nano clones that have already hit the market.

It remains possible that we will see such a product in the future, or it may have simply been an expensive mistake on the part of the case manufacturers.

What's Next?

Cinema Displays, the Mac Mini and iMac seem the most likely updates coming next. Previous supply chain sources had claimed the iMac would start shipping in January. If true, that means the update could come within weeks.

Apple has been occasionally known to launch products shortly after their Macworld events in either January or February. The earliest example we could find was an iPod Shuffle revision launched on January 30th, 2007.

Article Link: Macworld San Francisco 2009 Rumor Wrapup: Winners and Losers

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I think Apple is going to release the new Mac Mini in a few weeks. They want to prove that they don't need Macworld to release new products.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
MacMini

I think I am with those that where disappointed that there was no MacMini at Mac World. Maybe in the next week or two we will see an update?

Hugh

alana22

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
I'm secretly happy there were no iMac updates... now I get to childishly revel in mine being the latest and greatest for another month or so, mwaha ;p

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I'm secretly happy there were no iMac updates... now I get to childishly revel in mine being the latest and greatest for another month or so, mwaha ;p

I know what you mean. My 1.5 year old Mac Mini is still the current model. Wouldn't replace it with a better one either, it does what I demand from it, is quiet and doesn't use much power.

Still, I feel for the people waiting all those years for an update. It's really a shame the Mac Mini is still so expensive. You can get wayyyyyyy more computing power for the money.

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
They'll ship the mac minis and iMacs at the end of this month, when the new iLife ships. Why would they bother announcing them before they were immediately available, and it seems iLife goes gold master in a few weeks.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Still, I feel for the people waiting all those years for an update. It's really a shame the Mac Mini is still so expensive. You can get wayyyyyyy more computing power for the money.

Exactly. Even when it came out it was overpriced for what it delivered. Now its just a complete joke and anyone who would even consider getting it is a fool. I mean don't get me wrong, I love it and I would love to see it get upgraded. But the competition hasn't been exactly sitting on its rear end.

If you want the same form factor, you can get one of those tiny Dell Studio desktops which is actually pretty darn nice (yes I have seen it and played around w/ it in person). And if you don't care for the size (as most people don't - and only care about the price) - you can get a full size desktop with a quad core processor, 3 gigs of ram, a nice video card etc, all for the price of a Mini, from Dell.

As much as I love Apple... well, its a tough sell...

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
I'm gonna guess that CNET has sources inside the music biz because it's owned by a media company that includes amongst it's properties record labels. Just a guess, an educated & logical guess.

raskar

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
UK
I thought Leopard Snow to have an early preview at this macworld!! Preparing for a 1st quarter release (based on rumors i heard few weeks ago). Is this all changed? Whats the gossip on Snow Leopard right now?

dylcomputers

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Mac Mini IMacs in few weeks

When you think about it it's obvious why Apple didn't release new iMacs / Mac minis in the show.... Why would they start selling them with iLife 08 now only to switch them in a few weeks when iLife 09 come out?

Once iLife 09 is out we'll probably see new machines.... less returns for apple to deal with.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
I thought Leopard Snow...

2908041237_087ce07924.jpg

Like that?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm guessing Apple wanted a lot of the emphasis to be on iWork.com and iLife 09 (in particular the new iMovie and iPhoto - packed with awesome features). Of course, the MacBook Pro too, but we all knew it was coming and apart from the battery, nothing surprised us (apart from the matte option).

Had they released a new iMac and Mac Mini, then iWork.com and iLife wouldn't get as much attention - all people would be talking about would be the new Macs and what goodies the new Mini has.

Now that iLife and iWork has been covered in great detail - I'd guess they'd release new iMacs and Mac Minis soon, and probably before February.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
We should have seen it coming. Apple had to release something decent to prevent their own keynote being a complete damp squib - so we got the MacBook Pro 17". The lack of other new hardare releases was a clear fsck you to IDG and Macworld, as was Schiller's opening point about the number of visitors to Apple stores, annually, far, far outweighing the number of attendees at the show.

I expect to see some kind of event in the next two to three weeks, held at the Apple campus. That's when we'll see the remaining new products.

dsward

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Mac OS X
Apple has a great opportunity to introduce the new iMac, Mac mini and Apple TV next month in conjunction with the analog television broadcast shutdown on February 17th. The analog shutdown is going to be big news, and Apple can profit from it. They could produce an event that says Apple is ready for the next stage of the digital entertainment revolution, and here is our newest hardware. It would be the perfect date to introduce the long-rumored Apple HDTV set too.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I think I am with those that where disappointed that there was no MacMini at Mac World. Maybe in the next week or two we will see an update?

Hugh

No, that would be too close to MacWorld.

There will probably be some kind of special event in March. That's how it was last year.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
There have been multiple product updates in the last few years within a month or two of MWSF. A late January or late February announcement is actually fairly probable. So I don't see where the "too close to MWSF" statements are coming from.

January 2005: Updated PowerBooks
February 2006: Intel Mac mini
January 2007: iPod shuffle
January 2008: Small updates I think
February 2008: Updated MacBook Pros

We could see an event in late February or maybe even late January for the new ACDs, iMac, and Mac mini. Or, these three releases could be spaced out over the next month or so.

About Snow Leopard, it makes sense that Apple would not talk about a mostly developer-focused release at a consumer event. Apple will most likely talk about it at WWDC (or even an event earlier, depending on Snow Leopard's release).

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
All signs seem to be pointing to a Desktop Event. Question is, will Apple wait until the Mac Pro chips are available, or just update the consumer side of things at an earlier date. Would be nice to hear about the status of Snow Leopard as well.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
"And while we still don't see the reasoning behind such a product,"

The iphone Nano is coming to Verizon.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
About Snow Leopard, it makes sense that Apple would not talk about a mostly developer-focused release at a consumer event. Apple will most likely talk about it at WWDC (or even an event earlier, depending on Snow Leopard's release).

Not sure about that. Wouldn't it make sense to start building up some hype re: the speed and efficiency of the new system. They do have to sell it, after all.

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX

Hugh

I really hope it's soon. The Mini is in serious need of an update and I would love LOVE for it to be a merger between the current Mini and the Apple TV.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The danger of hyping up something months ahead of its release is that it kills existing sales.

People who may be thinking about a new computer and are on the fence will simply use the "I'll wait till that new version they keep raving about comes out."

In sales, you don't want to give people any excuse for waiting. Apple has been real smart about not announcing updates to products until they are ready for release - so people who want them can just go out and get them.

Sure everyone knows that all tech products will be updated eventually, but without knowing specifics in terms of WHAT will be updated, HOW it will be updated, or WHEN it will be updated, consumers do not have a concrete reason to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.