Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I really hope it's soon. The Mini is in serious need of an update and I would love LOVE for it to be a merger between the current Mini and the Apple TV.

seconded.

I'm waiting for this as my Boxee device. If it doesn't come soon, I may just find a cheap Linux solution instead.

Cable-be-gone!

Gilfanon

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
London town
Mac pro? It's now over a year since the last update

I'll second that. Rumour mill is really quiet on this one other than the suggestion that server class Nehalems will be out 'Q1'... Been holding off for 3 months now on the basis that the Nehalems are supposed to be a huge step up, but it's getting frustrating hearing absolutely no news...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Winner Apple Loser Customers :p

Completely agree!!
It appears that MW was all in vain this time around. Worst MW I can remember since switching almost 5 years ago. While I was on the road when all of this happened, I am seriously pleased to know that I did not go out of my way to watch.

akulbe

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
iPhone nano?

I don't mean to come across like a curmudgeon... but an iPhone nano?

Who cares?

Why would anyone want just such a thing?

It's not like you're lugging around some large behemoth of a phone by carrying an iPhone.

Oh well... flame on, boys.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Completely agree!!
It appears that MW was all in vain this time around. Worst MW I can remember since switching almost 5 years ago. While I was on the road when all of this happened, I am seriously pleased to know that I did not go out of my way to watch.

The worst MacWorld I think since OS X was revealed was the snoozefest that introduced the GarageBand application. I use GarageBand as well but it doesn't mean I find it interesting to watch! :) This year's was quite good compared.

YSR50

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2004
you won't see any updates to hardware until the "30 days from xmas return policy" is up.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Apple has a great opportunity to introduce the new iMac, Mac mini and Apple TV next month in conjunction with the analog television broadcast shutdown on February 17th. The analog shutdown is going to be big news, and Apple can profit from it. They could produce an event that says Apple is ready for the next stage of the digital entertainment revolution, and here is our newest hardware. It would be the perfect date to introduce the long-rumored Apple HDTV set too.

It would be a very wise move for Apple to include a digital tuner in the Apple TV along with access to sites like Hulu! There's a lot of competition entering this market and now is their chance! Time will tell. ;)

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
Smaller Is Better

This is a longshot, but maybe in the next few weeks we'll see an event for the smaller products.

Smaller Is Better:

*iPhone Nano
*iPod Shuffle
*Mac Mini
*MacBook Nano - highly doubt this one even though it would benefit Apple

And before or after that, there'd be a Desktop event. Then just about every product will have been redesigned in the last 6 months, with new versions of Apple TV and iPhone coming out this summer.

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
2908041237_087ce07924.jpg

Like that?

LOL. Classic! :D

Seriously though - I have been hanging for the Mini and yeah, let's cross our fingers it will be released soon! :rolleyes: Feels like I've said that before? and heard it before too?

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Apple has publicly stated that they're unhappy about the product leaks. I'm wondering if Apple leaked this lame idea of an iPhone Nano, complete with dimensions, through "trusted" sources as a monetary punishment towards these protective case manufacturers.

verbalhijacker

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
What are chances of getting a quad core cpu in the next imac update?

As we are all aware that the next imacs will house the new Nvidia chipsets, however there has been no mention of the cpu specs expected, whats the likely hood of a quad core imac?

afrowq

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Charlotte
I swear, the Mac Pro gets the least love of any Apple product whatsoever. There is never any mention of it. Why no discussion of the Mac Pro in the blurb about the Imac and Mac Mini?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Exactly. Even when it came out it was overpriced for what it delivered. Now its just a complete joke and anyone who would even consider getting it is a fool. I mean don't get me wrong, I love it and I would love to see it get upgraded. But the competition hasn't been exactly sitting on its rear end.

If you want the same form factor, you can get one of those tiny Dell Studio desktops which is actually pretty darn nice (yes I have seen it and played around w/ it in person). And if you don't care for the size (as most people don't - and only care about the price) - you can get a full size desktop with a quad core processor, 3 gigs of ram, a nice video card etc, all for the price of a Mini, from Dell.

As much as I love Apple... well, its a tough sell...

Mac Mini is a perfect Home Theater PC Mac, and people who get it aren't fools. It fulfills the need perfectly, regardless of it's inferior specs.

I hope they update it too, however. I'd like a second mini (mine is a 1.83 Core 1 Duo)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I swear, the Mac Pro gets the least love of any Apple product whatsoever. There is never any mention of it. Why no discussion of the Mac Pro in the blurb about the Imac and Mac Mini?

If I remember rightly, it got this quiet after the last G4 tower, the dual 1.4... and then we got the new cases with the G5 in them. This and the remark earlier this year by Phil Schiller about 'product transitions' are my slim hopes for both Mini and Mac Pro.

I've read elsewhere that it takes two years for Apple to get a product to market. Perhaps if Steve Jobs wasn't such a personal control freak, they could shave a few months off that. It's starting to get a bit silly with so many fingers in so many pies.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
This shows the negative side of Rumor sites. Expectations end up so high that even when there is a lot of great news, products and announcements, it ends up being seen as disappointing to those of us who send too much time making rumor sites rich, my 09 resolution is to get more of a life and spend less time here. :)

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I think Apple is going to release the new Mac Mini in a few weeks. They want to prove that they don't need Macworld to release new products.

I agree entirely.

I'm a little sad, but I have to pay tax this month so probably shouldn't be buying a new Mac Mini (and a nice monitor to go with it) until I've worked out how much money I'll have afterwards!

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
It's pretty clear that Apple is moving to the DisplayPort standard, which means that they need to refresh the rest of the Cinema Displays and bring DisplayPort to all of the desktop Macs. I was fully expecting this for MWSF 09 but we clearly need to wait longer for this update. (Though I might be convinced that the iMac would be the last of the models to get updated since very, very few iMacs get connected to an external display).

Disclaimer: this is pure speculation on my part - I have no connection to Apple.

stonefingers

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Currently living in Germany
Isn't this always the case?

'Apple's push into "cloud" computing was far more limited than originally reported.'

As frustrating as it can be, I think it's part of their strategy. They have the vision to create, and the finances to support their vision. But they also have the brains to not give it all on the first go-round...

stonefingers

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Currently living in Germany
It's pretty clear that Apple is moving to the DisplayPort standard, which means that they need to refresh the rest of the Cinema Displays and bring DisplayPort to all of the desktop Macs. I was fully expecting this for MWSF 09 but we clearly need to wait longer for this update. (Though I might be convinced that the iMac would be the last of the models to get updated since very, very few iMacs get connected to an external display).

Disclaimer: this is pure speculation on my part - I have no connection to Apple.

Interestingly, I would have already purchased one of the new 24in monitors had it been compatible with my older, early 2007 iMac.

schneb

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
Mac pro? It's now over a year since the last update

Ridiculous how old that box is. It's heavy, it's huge, and fellow PC users are walking around with their Mid-Towers with liquid cooling just laughing at Apple. And deservedly so.

clawanhex

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
According to wikipedia we are coming to a 25 anniversary of the Macintosh at the end of this month. Isn't it likely that this would be a good time to announce new generation of desktop machines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS

IMHO, this sounds very plausible.

It would have been a great PR spin for MWSF to market it as the Mac's 25th anniversary - and IDG Expo knows it is, as shown on the cover of the US Macworld January 09 (although I can't find a picture). Yet they didn't. And Phil didn't mention it in his keynote. Coincidence? I think not!

I believe we'll see an event on January 24th to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Mac, where they'll launch iLife '09 and the 17" MBP, plus Mac Minis and/or Mac Pros and/or iMacs.

And - I also think it's still possible for a Snow Leopard Q1 release. Has anyone actually seen and opened a Mac Box Set yet? I think it's plausible that Apple releases Snow Leopard, and says, by the way, we'll make a Snow Leopard option of this (Leopard for PPC owners).

That's my two pence, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.