Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs R Us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I just got a Apple Network Server 700/150 and need to run my site (the site's not big check my porfile to see the one I need to have it run)and run it and a home data server, But I have very little knolage about UNIX/AIX so I don't know where to begin. Think it has a Shell but I'v no clue how it all works I gusse it was dumb of me to waste money on it since I have no clue how it works. But if theres any help you can give please post or if you know os a Mac OS that could work.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If Memory Serves... You need A/UX v.1.3, and then on top of that you will have System 7.5.1. You can upgrade to System 7.5.5. Of Course, I could be wrong. Best Idea is find an Apple Authorized Retailer who could connect you up with any necissarry Disks and Help.

TEG

Macs R Us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
TEG said:
If Memory Serves... You need A/UX v.1.3, and then on top of that you will have System 7.5.1. You can upgrade to System 7.5.5. Of Course, I could be wrong. Best Idea is find an Apple Authorized Retailer who could connect you up with any necissarry Disks and Help.

TEG

Well if it had that Mac OS that would be great I know that one well. I have the OS AIX 4.1.4. and the CD's it came with do you know where I can locate a Mac OS patch? I know for sure it will not run os x becuse of the prosseor and boards. I really wanted a good Apple Sever since All I have are the 9150, 6150. I was to cheap to buy new x sereve stuff :). The computer so big they had to add wheels to it I think it's around 90 lbs. Also will it take any hot swapable drive?

mactarkus

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Florida
No Mac OS on a Network Server

I own a Network Server 500/132. I'm fairly certain it is not possible to install a Mac OS on it as it does not contain the Macintosh ROMs. You'll have to get a hold of Apple's UNIX variant or try your luck with Linux. Do a search and you'll see folks out there who have tried it.

I got my Server about 6 months ago. It boots up fine, but I haven't gotten around to doing anything productive with it. It is mainly for display in my collection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.