Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Epocrates Essentials Now Available for iPhone

Epocrates [App Store] has released version 2.0 of their free clinical reference application for the iPhone and iPod touch. The update brings several enhancements to their free offerings and adds compatibility with Epocrates Essentials, their subscription-based premium content.

Epocrates Rx, the free component to the application, offers a drug and formulary reference that includes identification, dosing, side effect, reaction, pricing and insurance information, as well as a drug interaction database. It also includes MedMath, a collection of over 35 medical calculators.

Epocrates Essentials, now available as a one-year ($149) or two-year ($249) subscription, provides detailed, peer-reviewed disease information and treatment recommendations. It also provides information for interpretation of diagnostic and laboratory tests and data on over 600 alternative medicines.

Article Link: Epocrates Essentials Now Available for iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2
JP3G
macrumors member

You call that news-worthy?
JP3G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:11 PM   #3
EvanLugh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP3G View Post
I do.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
It's a good app. A lot of doctors I know use it ...
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:28 PM   #5
someone28624
macrumors 6502a

I've been loving the free version. When I start my NP clinicals, I'll probably subscribe to the paid version.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:35 PM   #6
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Most definitely. This is great news for those of us who use it/wish we had the $$$. Nice to have some serious professional productivity apps coming to the iPhone/touch platform.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:48 PM   #7
MilesAhead
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It's incredibly newsworthy if you are in health care. I would be willing to bet that Epocrates is responsible for selling more iPhones than any other single 3rd party app.

And unlike the the games you'll play twice then delete or the app that makes farting noises or lets you pretend to drink beer, this one is actually useful.
MilesAhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:54 PM   #8
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yup.
MBHockey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:03 PM   #9
bunit
macrumors regular

Quote:
Why yes I do!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:12 PM   #10
wayland1985
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
It's incredibly newsworthy if you are in health care. I would be willing to bet that Epocrates is responsible for selling more iPhones than any other single 3rd party app.

And unlike the the games you'll play twice then delete or the app that makes farting noises or lets you pretend to drink beer, this one is actually useful.
X2...

I returned my windows mobile phone last year just seeing the Preview for Epocrates (When they demoed the UI on the iPhone). While you may look more professional with a Stylus in hand, using the Palm/WinMo version of Epocrates, the iPhone version is much easier to use... has a better layout... has better accessability.... takes advantage of the screen.... It's a great combo for health professionals like myself.

Eventually, I'll add the Lexi-Comp programs as well, making this probably one of the better on-the-fly medical resources out there.

Suddenly the iPhone is starting to look a little more "Professional"
wayland1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:24 PM   #11
brop52
macrumors 68000

Good news. Now all they need to do is update the iPhone so I can buy it some time before July when I start rotations.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Robbadore64
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'll go with No.

Though I do like the app because I like to know what I'm ingesting.
Robbadore64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:49 PM   #13
Marzzz
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Marzzz
Quote:
I would be willing to bet that Epocrates is responsible for selling more iPhones than any other single 3rd party app.
Yep- when Epocrates became available, that was when I upgraded to an iPhone.
Marzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:52 PM   #14
MarkMS
macrumors 6502a

Ouch! I just paid for Epocrates Rx Pro for my new BlackBerry Bold. I knew I should have waited and got the iPhone.

And yes, this is news worthy. I use this app all the time!
MarkMS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:59 PM   #15
nyctravis
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMS View Post
Ouch! I just paid for Epocrates Rx Pro for my new BlackBerry Bold. I knew I should have waited and got the iPhone.
You can switch platforms for free
nyctravis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:24 PM   #16
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Gawd, now my iPhone tells me when I can get high? Oh, I meant medicated with prescription drugs... LOL

I would definitely buy this app if I were in the medical field/profession.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:35 PM   #17
cschmelz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMS View Post

And yes, this is news worthy. I use this app all the time!
I got money back (actual REFUND) when I sold my palm devices and switched to the iPhone. Just cancel the Blackberry sub with them and use the credited dollars to get the iPhone subscription
cschmelz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:48 PM   #18
MarkMS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctravis View Post
You can switch platforms for free
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmelz View Post
I got money back (actual REFUND) when I sold my palm devices and switched to the iPhone. Just cancel the Blackberry sub with them and use the credited dollars to get the iPhone subscription
Thank you for that information. Had no idea I could do that.
MarkMS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:58 PM   #19
imac9556
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up

Newsworthy! My dad has been waiting to switch from the Windows Mobile Platform to the iPhone because Epocrates Essentials wasn't ported to the iPhone yet. Hes a doctor and sometimes uses it for references. And also being a medical student right now, this is great news for me too! Although, its a little expensive
imac9556 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:28 PM   #20
rstone3
macrumors member

Agree Newsworthy

Quote:

It's why I got my iPhone!
rstone3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:56 PM   #21
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Yeah, but will it make fart sounds?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:02 PM   #22
Lara F
macrumors 6502a

I paid for Lexi Pediatrics last fall so will probably hold off on Essentials for the time being...but it's absolutely great for health care professionals to have it available. I'd estimate that half of the house staff at my institution have iPhones now, and this should encourage even more to switch.

At this point the only two things left I'd like to have for work/study would be an offline version of Up To Date and a Zitelli Pediatric Atlas app.
Lara F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:45 PM   #23
brop52
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac9556 View Post
Newsworthy! My dad has been waiting to switch from the Windows Mobile Platform to the iPhone because Epocrates Essentials wasn't ported to the iPhone yet. Hes a doctor and sometimes uses it for references. And also being a medical student right now, this is great news for me too! Although, its a little expensive
There are a lot of 50% off coupon codes floating around the internet.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:23 PM   #24
bainesajay
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to bainesajay Send a message via AIM to bainesajay Send a message via MSN to bainesajay
Re: Epocrates

I am a Clinical Pharmacist and I have been using the free version for quite a while. Its okay... Its not comprehensive enough and does not give detailed information that I would not already know. Still waiting for that do it all easy to use all in one medical application.

I find Lexi's information too generic, I wish UpToDate would bring something soon.
bainesajay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:59 AM   #25
STEVESKI07
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainesajay View Post
I am a Clinical Pharmacist and I have been using the free version for quite a while. Its okay... Its not comprehensive enough and does not give detailed information that I would not already know. Still waiting for that do it all easy to use all in one medical application.

I find Lexi's information too generic, I wish UpToDate would bring something soon.

Maybe it's not comprehensive enough because you only had the trial version?
STEVESKI07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion