Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto

apeacock

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
If only they could do Exchange push mail with that... anyone know if it's coming from Google? This seems like a really good first step, but not anything extraordinary (since NuevaSync can already do contacts/calendar)

Exley

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Wow that looks really cool! Ive also been using Nuevasync to sync my calender but would feel a little better not having to route it through a third party. Hopefully they will implement push e-mail through this system.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Google Sync Beta Now Available for iPhone

Google today announced the release of a beta version of Google Sync for iPhone. Google Sync serves to automatically synchronize Gmail contacts and calendar entries between a user's Google account and their mobile device. Originally released last year for the Blackberry, today's beta release extends the functionality to the iPhone and Windows Mobile devices, as well as providing contacts-only synchronization for SyncML-compatible devices.
Synchronize your contacts. Get your Google contacts quickly and easily to your iPhone. With Sync, you can have access to your address book at anytime and place that you need it.

Get calendar alerts. Using your iPhone's native calendar, you can now access multiple Google calendars, and be alerted for upcoming appointments with sound or vibration.

Always in sync. Your calendar and contacts stay synchronized whether you access them from your iPhone or from your computer. Add or edit contacts or calendar entries right on your device or on your Google account on the web.
Importantly, Google notes that enabling Google Sync will erase any existing contacts and calendar data on the mobile device, so users should be sure to back up any needed data. Google also notes several limitations present in the beta version.

Article Link: Google Sync Beta Now Available for iPhone

apeacock

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
There isn't anything to allow from Apple - this is simply Google implementing the direct push/activesync protocols from Microsoft. It's the same thing the Zimbra people do.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Hmm. Looks like it uses activesync to sync everything. Seems like there will be push gmail in the near future...

My thought exactly. I'm also thinking this will have some nice tie-ins with 10.6 iCal and AddressBook.

Now if only iPhone would support multiple ActiveSync, Google Cal and/or iCal accounts. My work uses ActiveStink and Out/Rage (our nickname for Outlook/Entourage) that occupies my iPhone calendar. (edit: and no, I do not want to pay $$ for MobileMe. Most of the functionality I want from MM I can get for free by being savvy with 3rd party options.)

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
Has anyone tried this?

Is it a true two way wireless sync just like MobileMe is for Calendars and Contacts?

cotxia

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Has anyone tried this?

Is it a true two way wireless sync just like MobileMe is for Calendars and Contacts?

I have it set up and am playing with it as we speak. It is indeed a true two way sync, and seems to work flawlessly so far. Big kudos to Google for getting this out!

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
I'd love to try it out, but my work email account already uses the 1 and only allowed Exchange configuration in the iPhone Mail app.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
I have it set up and am playing with it as we speak. It is indeed a true two way sync, and seems to work flawlessly so far. Big kudos to Google for getting this out!
So basically, this does what NuevaSync does but it is made by Google instead.

Sweet.

I hope email is next.

I guess my only question now is, if you have Push turned on for this, but NOT email, does it still eat a man's battery up. :D

smtty00

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my iPhone calendar colors to match those of the Google calendar itself?

Or at least to be able to manipulate those on my phone so I can control which color goes with which calendar?

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
This would a be a killer app for the iPhone. What's more, it would likely be low-cost or free. Talk about market share!

apeacock

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
For those having issues getting multiple calendars to sync from google apps for your domain (this is a copy/paste from my answer on the google mobile help forums):

Go to m.google.com, then tap "configure for your domain" at the bottom, then hit the sync button, then hit the button for for google apps - then you can edit your calendars that sync.

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
I still really love the syncing of my Keychain and Safari bookmarks. I also like the MobileMe gallery LNF.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
The early Nail in the coffin for Mobile Me. just wait till there mobile storage comes out then there really is no point to mobile me.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
Wow that looks really cool! Ive also been using Nuevasync to sync my calender but would feel a little better not having to route it through a third party. Hopefully they will implement push e-mail through this system.

Yes, i prefer a direct sync to my ical and address books without using google besides mobileme is too pricey for me.
for now, i just use ical and never look at gcal.I dont sync my contacts in fear that one day all will be lost.lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.