Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Mercury7
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
99.00 Iphone deal back today!

apologies if everyone knew this....I was browsing the att website and found the 99.00 iphones are back. Scott
Mercury7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604
 
SFStateStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco California, USA
Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
+1 ^^^ Yup, here's the website address:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...ones/apple.jsp
__________________
MBP 2.5GHz 640GB 4GB RAM Mac Pro iPhone 4S iOS 5 Black 64GB AC+ NEW iPad Apple TV 2G
SFStateStudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
manhattanboy
macrumors 6502a
 
manhattanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury7 View Post
apologies if everyone knew this....I was browsing the att website and found the 99.00 iphones are back. Scott
Just to be clear, these are the refurbished iPhones... no change in the regular iPhone prices.
__________________
jeans, boots with the fur...gotta love summer!
manhattanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:26 PM   #4
icecold0913
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NOLA
So I'm assuming this is the same deal as last time where this offer is only available to new customers and not to existing customers looking to upgrade and renew their contract?
icecold0913 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Mercury7
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I don't know the details.....but I am seriously considering this......I have been torn on whether to wait and see what is coming in June. what would yall do?

I am going month to month on alltel now.
Mercury7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
RTiii320
macrumors 6502a
 
RTiii320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
It's been there for the last two days...

Quick question for people though... I am currently on a 2 year contract and lost my iphone 3g ..AGAIN!

The first time i bought it i got it at the $299 price, the next time i had to pay $499 the full retail price! which came to $540

Now my question is, if i add a line to my at&t contract. Purchase the iphone 16gb for $199, and there after cancel my contract... I know i will have to pay the $175 ETF (early termination fee) but that only adds up $395 so is it really easier to do that? or am i better off buying it at a full retail price??

p.s. I dont care if its a refurb, with the all likely hood of a new iphone coming out over the summer i just need one for a couple months..
__________________
13" MacBook Air (Ultimate)
64GB Gold 5s
Twitter.com/RThomps0n
RTiii320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:53 PM   #7
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604
 
SFStateStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco California, USA
Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanboy View Post
Just to be clear, these are the refurbished iPhones... no change in the regular iPhone prices.
Yup, just refurbs; prices remain the same on new 3G iPhones...
__________________
MBP 2.5GHz 640GB 4GB RAM Mac Pro iPhone 4S iOS 5 Black 64GB AC+ NEW iPad Apple TV 2G
SFStateStudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:55 PM   #8
eplchamps0304
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTiii320 View Post
It's been there for the last two days...

Quick question for people though... I am currently on a 2 year contract and lost my iphone 3g ..AGAIN!

The first time i bought it i got it at the $299 price, the next time i had to pay $499 the full retail price! which came to $540

Now my question is, if i add a line to my at&t contract. Purchase the iphone 16gb for $199, and there after cancel my contract... I know i will have to pay the $175 ETF (early termination fee) but that only adds up $395 so is it really easier to do that? or am i better off buying it at a full retail price??

p.s. I dont care if its a refurb, with the all likely hood of a new iphone coming out over the summer i just need one for a couple months..
It will cost you more than 395 to do what you mentioned above. Let's see, 199 for the phone, 35 activation fee, prorated + first months bill = 130+, and the ETF of 175.
eplchamps0304 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:02 PM   #9
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604
 
SFStateStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco California, USA
Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplchamps0304 View Post
It will cost you more than 395 to do what you mentioned above. Let's see, 199 for the phone, 35 activation fee, prorated + first months bill = 130+, and the ETF of 175.
Unless he/she is just looking to pay the for the iPhone and ETF plus taxes...
__________________
MBP 2.5GHz 640GB 4GB RAM Mac Pro iPhone 4S iOS 5 Black 64GB AC+ NEW iPad Apple TV 2G
SFStateStudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:15 PM   #10
eplchamps0304
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
Unless he/she is just looking to pay the for the iPhone and ETF plus taxes...
How is that possible? You have to have 30 days of service to keep the phone.
eplchamps0304 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:34 PM   #11
RTiii320
macrumors 6502a
 
RTiii320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplchamps0304 View Post
How is that possible? You have to have 30 days of service to keep the phone.
So is that only the $9.99 to add a line to my family plan that already has 2 lines?

Ok, so... $199 for the iphone... adding a line to my bill $9.99 ... activation fee $35..and $175 ETF.. comes to $420

420 still beats 540 but what type of pro-rate am i looking at here?
__________________
13" MacBook Air (Ultimate)
64GB Gold 5s
Twitter.com/RThomps0n
RTiii320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:47 PM   #12
CBR900RR
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Pacific
Send a message via ICQ to CBR900RR
Is this true?

LINK

Quote:
AquaX

Just a word of advice, not meant to threadcrap, but be sure you want an AT&T refurb. The refurbishment is done by AT&T, not by Apple, and AT&T doesn't have the manufacturing facilities to rebuild/remanufacture iPhones. These are simply software wiped, then tested. Furthermore, they only have a 90 day warranty, not the full year that an iPhone purchased from Apple will have.
__________________
Free FXsound ringtone
CBR900RR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:37 PM   #13
RTiii320
macrumors 6502a
 
RTiii320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA


Interesting to note that the AT&T phones are "Independently Tested". However, they say they have a 90-Day warranty and show a link for Apple.

So I would imagine if it does mess up before the 90 days you would be able to go to Apple and get one of their Apple Refurb's.
__________________
13" MacBook Air (Ultimate)
64GB Gold 5s
Twitter.com/RThomps0n
RTiii320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:39 PM   #14
Mercury7
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
sounds false...apple normally backs up refurbished products with original warranty

here is the text from apple.....guess the question would be if the iphones are apple certified?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
Frequently Asked Questions:
(1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

* is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
* is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
* is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
* is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
* includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
* is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
* is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.


(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

* Substantial savings
* A fully functional unit with complete documentation
* The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components


(3) Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for my Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

All Apple Certified Refurbished Products are covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty. For extended coverage, you have the option of purchasing the AppleCare Protection Plan with your Apple Certified Refurbished Product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple Certified Refurbished Product to up to three years of world-class support for Mac, and up to two years of world-class support for iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.

Last edited by Mercury7; Feb 17, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Mercury7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:41 PM   #15
dave006
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTiii320 View Post


Interesting to note that the AT&T phones are "Independently Tested". However, they say they have a 90-Day warranty and show a link for Apple.

So I would imagine if it does mess up before the 90 days you would be able to go to Apple and get one of their Apple Refurb's.
Actually it says 90 days or more....

Link: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...efurbPopup.jsp

Normally you would get any remaining warranty based on the original activation date of the phone. Some individuals have reported that they have been able to get Apple to reset their warranty status. Your results may vary...

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:45 PM   #16
dave006
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury7 View Post
sounds false...apple normally backs up refurbished products with original warranty
That is true for an Apple refurbished device.

AT&T and now Best Buy are offering "refurbished" iPhone 3Gs that have not been throught the Formal Apple refurbished process. So as I posted above your experience with getting a new 1 year warranty will vary by individual.

So individuals have reported that they even got more then 1 year total as the original purchaser had also purchased AppleCare.

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:46 PM   #17
RTiii320
macrumors 6502a
 
RTiii320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Thanks... That helps make my decision a lot easier..
__________________
13" MacBook Air (Ultimate)
64GB Gold 5s
Twitter.com/RThomps0n
RTiii320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:49 PM   #18
Tallest Skil
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTiii320 View Post
So is that only the $9.99 to add a line to my family plan that already has 2 lines?

Ok, so... $199 for the iphone... adding a line to my bill $9.99 ... activation fee $35..and $175 ETF.. comes to $420

420 still beats 540 but what type of pro-rate am i looking at here?
The iPhone plan is $60 because you have to have data. I'm pretty sure it's not a ten dollar extra line addition.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:54 PM   #19
RTiii320
macrumors 6502a
 
RTiii320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
The iPhone plan is $60 because you have to have data. I'm pretty sure it's not a ten dollar extra line addition.
I think it might be $9.99 and then $30 for the data plan .. so your right it is more. around $450 for the phone.
__________________
13" MacBook Air (Ultimate)
64GB Gold 5s
Twitter.com/RThomps0n
RTiii320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:31 PM   #20
dave006
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTiii320 View Post
So is that only the $9.99 to add a line to my family plan that already has 2 lines?

Ok, so... $199 for the iphone... adding a line to my bill $9.99 ... activation fee $35..and $175 ETF.. comes to $420

420 still beats 540 but what type of pro-rate am i looking at here?
If you are on a FamilTalk plan;

Activation: $26 (FamilyTalk add-a-line)
Add-a-line: $9.99 one month
iPhone 3G Data Plan: $30 one month

Dave
dave006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:30 PM   #21
deratka
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I bought an 8gb refurb at Best Buy 8 days ago for $149. Now I could have bought a 16gb for $199 at AT&T. Do you think there's any way to turn my 8gb into AT&T and get a 16gb refurb (paying the price difference of course), since I am still under the 30 days? It's probably just wishful thinking because I would think I'd have to return it to Best Buy if I wanted to. Thanks for the advice.
deratka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:06 AM   #22
madlib
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by deratka View Post
I bought an 8gb refurb at Best Buy 8 days ago for $149. Now I could have bought a 16gb for $199 at AT&T. Do you think there's any way to turn my 8gb into AT&T and get a 16gb refurb (paying the price difference of course), since I am still under the 30 days? It's probably just wishful thinking because I would think I'd have to return it to Best Buy if I wanted to. Thanks for the advice.
pretty sure you could best buy has a 30 day price guarantee
madlib is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:08 PM   #23
RTiii320
macrumors 6502a
 
RTiii320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
so if i were to buy one of these phones is it an online order only or can i pick one of these up inside the stores???
__________________
13" MacBook Air (Ultimate)
64GB Gold 5s
Twitter.com/RThomps0n
RTiii320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:07 PM   #24
Rayfire
macrumors 68020
 
Rayfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTiii320 View Post
so if i were to buy one of these phones is it an online order only or can i pick one of these up inside the stores???
Online only, tried that before (during December '08) and they said it was only online.
__________________
Are you a new subscriber to AT&T or T-Mobile? You could get a $25 gift card, pm me for details
iPhone 6 64GB SG
Rayfire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:17 PM   #25
RTiii320
macrumors 6502a
 
RTiii320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfire View Post
Online only, tried that before (during December '08) and they said it was only online.
does it ship to your house , or do they make u go to the store to pick it up and activate it?
__________________
13" MacBook Air (Ultimate)
64GB Gold 5s
Twitter.com/RThomps0n
RTiii320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is apple selling refurbished 15" rMBP Early 2013 8gb with 512SSD? erkanasu MacBook Pro 4 Nov 15, 2014 11:06 AM
Idea: Apple start selling REFURBISHED 5s to alleviate long lines pat.micunnis iPhone 12 Sep 27, 2013 05:24 PM
Selling Old iPhone 4 W/ No SIM, iPhone 5 Activated, Selling Price, & Other Questions Austin M. iPhone 9 Aug 5, 2013 05:06 PM
[Help] Selling iPhone Refurbished SkibuL iPhone 4 Jan 6, 2013 02:43 PM
When do you think Apple will start selling refurbished 2012 MBAs?? phatjoe MacBook Air 7 Aug 15, 2012 02:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC