Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 21, 2009, 02:22 PM   #1
vinyls
macrumors member

Cant run runescape... wtf?

so im pretty bored doing nothing.. doing anything and everything on my new macbook..

i decide to check back on my childhood past time (sad i know) and log in to my runescape account.. i maxed out the GFX thinking it would easily play smoothly.. seeing as iv seen vids of people playing COD, WOW etc..

im just shocked that it couldn't run the most childish and simple java game!?? is it something to do with safari or..? i paid a grand for the laptop.. the VERY least i ask for is runescape haha
Old Feb 21, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2
JamesGorman
macrumors 65816

i just went to see if i could play it maxed out, and in full screen and i could.
JamesGorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
asphyxiafeeling
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to asphyxiafeeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyls View Post
so im pretty bored doing nothing.. doing anything and everything on my new macbook..

i decide to check back on my childhood past time (sad i know) and log in to my runescape account.. i maxed out the GFX thinking it would easily play smoothly.. seeing as iv seen vids of people playing COD, WOW etc..

im just shocked that it couldn't run the most childish and simple java game!?? is it something to do with safari or..? i paid a grand for the laptop.. the VERY least i ask for is runescape haha

Yeah a GMA 950 Mac Mini could play runescape just fine, i believe you have some other problem (sadly i do not know what)
Old Feb 21, 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:

Well, it's a java thing. MacBook can run RS just fine, my unibody does. The thing is you just have to have the correct java plugin.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:15 AM   #5
aluminumapple
macrumors regular

try using fire fox to run it, and most likely yes it might be a java error, update your notebook maybe.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:49 AM   #6
vinyls
macrumors member

Question

wlel i went and downloaded firefox and got the same result.. i also checked my system update and everything was fully up to date..

its quite worrying actually as i feel like i may have messed around with my settings too much or something..

+ i also plan to run boor camp in a week or so to play some heavy games like bioshock etc.. and if my laptop cant run runescape..?? :S im sorta running into a dead end!

im sure it something minor that i may have tweeked with.. keep it up with the ideas

Thanks for the replies!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
wlel i went and downloaded firefox and got the same result.. i also checked my system update and everything was fully up to date..

its quite worrying actually as i feel like i may have messed around with my settings too much or something..

+ i also plan to run boor camp in a week or so to play some heavy games like bioshock etc.. and if my laptop cant run runescape..?? :S im sorta running into a dead end!

im sure it something minor that i may have tweeked with.. keep it up with the ideas

Thanks for the replies!
If you want Helldose through boot camp, then you defenitly be able to run Runescape.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:03 AM   #8
vinyls
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
If you want Helldose through boot camp, then you defenitly be able to run Runescape.
sweet thanks, pretty much answers my question..

btw what is your avatar from?? me likes
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:03 AM   #9
nmonti
macrumors member

Make sure you are keeping up with the software updates Apple has been releasing, there have been two updates for Java within the past two weeks, it may be possible that one of the updates fixes your issue.
nmonti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:07 AM   #10
vinyls
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmonti View Post
Make sure you are keeping up with the software updates Apple has been releasing, there have been two updates for Java within the past two weeks, it may be possible that one of the updates fixes your issue.
well i just went on software update and it found non.. so i presume it must have caught them both when i first ran the update (around a week ago..) could i have missed one somehow?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:17 AM   #11
nmonti
macrumors member

Quote:
well i just went on software update and it found non.. so i presume it must have caught them both when i first ran the update (around a week ago..) could i have missed one somehow?
Its unlikely.
nmonti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:21 AM   #12
vinyls
macrumors member

Thumbs up

cool, well im not planning on play runescape anyways, just worried that my laptop couldn't run it.. but as bootcamp will is fine. Hopefully bigger games can also run!

Thanks for all the replies people
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Skeletal-dæmon
macrumors 6502

It may sound like a daft question, but how fast is your Internet connection?

Since Runescape is a streaming online Java based game it will be needing to draw all its data from the Internet. By selecting the highest graphics and sound options you are asking it to download more information in the same amount of time, and the connection may not be up to that task.

I suggest this because at home I can only play lo-res but on the uni network the hi-res works just fine. And by 'I play' I mean my brother plays... of course... er... >.>
Skeletal-dæmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:50 PM   #14
aluminumapple
macrumors regular

what i dont get is, youd spend all that time trying to fix rune scape instead of playing bioshock lol.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:14 PM   #15
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
sweet thanks, pretty much answers my question..

btw what is your avatar from?? me likes
My avatar is a Photo shopped version of the original Awesome.jpeg. Here I'll post the original unshrunken version of my avatar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Smiliewallpaper.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	159183  
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:31 AM   #16
vinyls
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumapple View Post
what i dont get is, youd spend all that time trying to fix rune scape instead of playing bioshock lol.
im getting bootcamp in a week to run bioshock which i bought for my last laptop.. in the mean while i wanted to check games on my laptop to see how good it would run (thinking runescape would be a joke to my laptop) and found out this so im just checking.. if a laptop cant run runescape properly what are chances it can run bioshock?? but as its probz just a java prob and not my laptops capabilities it should be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
My avatar is a Photo shopped version of the original Awesome.jpeg. Here I'll post the original unshrunken version of my avatar.
sweeeet.. thanks dude, will wallpaper it straight away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletal-dæmon View Post
It may sound like a daft question, but how fast is your Internet connection?

Since Runescape is a streaming online Java based game it will be needing to draw all its data from the Internet. By selecting the highest graphics and sound options you are asking it to download more information in the same amount of time, and the connection may not be up to that task.

I suggest this because at home I can only play lo-res but on the uni network the hi-res works just fine. And by 'I play' I mean my brother plays... of course... er... >.>
haha :P but yeah i have a so called 8mbps connection (im only getting like half of it) but yeah no probz there with the connection.. plus i could run it on my other computers fine..

im still looking for a fix if anyone has ideas.. thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:45 AM   #17
jamesarm97
macrumors 6502a

My son runs Runscape on our old PPC Mac Mini 1Ghz, 512Meg ram just fine.

- James
jamesarm97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:51 AM   #18
vinyls
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesarm97 View Post
My son runs Runscape on our old PPC Mac Mini 1Ghz, 512Meg ram just fine.
now im worried lol.. is it a defect!? everything else runs fine! i played counterstrike fine also.. no lag atall and perfect FPS!?!?!?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:31 PM   #19
TN.Frank
macrumors newbie

I made a new thread about this "problem" but I wanted to put something here too. I have an older iMac, 756M ram, 800MHz G4 and when playing Runescape it's very skippy even in Standard def with more of the features turned off. I put my Java at 512M of ram for each version that's on my computer(I've got two, 1.3.1 and 1.4.2)and it still runs skippy.
It doesn't crash mind you, it's just skippy and choppy. It's not my internet connection because my grandson can play on his mom's laptop(PC based) with the same connection and it's smooth as silk. I can also play Diablo II LOD online and it's smooth as silk on my iMac so is it the Java that's the problem AND how can we fix it so it'll run better?
TN.Frank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:57 PM   #20
xhArRiSoNxD
macrumors regular

This saddens me a little, because I just purchased a MBP Refurb today and I was thinking how well Runescape and Facebook games would run compared to my PC that's 8 years old. Constantly freezing and waiting 5-10 minutes for it..

Is this likely to happen to me?
xhArRiSoNxD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:33 AM   #21
Epic Orange
macrumors member

I hope you guys realize that Runescape is only compatible with Safari on a mac. Firefox and Google Chrome do not work well. If you have issues with games, always try Safari first.
Epic Orange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 06:52 PM   #22
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Runs better in Camino than Safari for me.
InuNacho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:03 PM   #23
rnystery
macrumors member

No offense, but usually when you buy an Macbook/Pro you don't use it for games, more for college/work :P you should use the regular cheap laptops for games or pcs
rnystery is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:56 AM   #24
Syd Ne
macrumors newbie

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnystery View Post
No offense, but usually when you buy an Macbook/Pro you don't use it for games, more for college/work :P you should use the regular cheap laptops for games or pcs
Why would I want to buy 2 laptops? I use MBP for everything! No need to buy a "regular cheap laptop" for games when the MBP will do all jobs + games equally well.

No offense, but I just don't understand your reply.

Lightning fried my MBP 15" and I am going to get a MBP 13" tomorrow. I am disabled and I use MBP for everything! Too bad it cannot do housework! I was gonna say windows, but it CAN do windows. lol
Syd Ne is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook