Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
After a long period with no free time to work on it, I'm finally wanting to get started with iPhone programming. I'm fairly experienced with Cocoa programming on the Mac (I have a shipping shareware app that has been on sale for some time) so I definitely don't need a book that goes through the basics of Objective-C. My favorite books for Cocoa on the Mac are/were the standard Cocoa Progamming for Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass and Progamming in Objective-C by Stephen Kochan. What do people think are the best books for learning Cocoa Touch programming? Something like Hillegass' book (which basically assumes Objective-C proficiency) but for iPhone development would be perfect.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I found I actually learnt quite a lot from the Apple sample codes and various stuff on the internet. Of the iPhone books I have the one that has been most useful to me is the (often slated) Erica Sadun book. It's NOT a book to learn Cocoa touch with - it is however a very useful collection of tips and code snippets.

ghayenga

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
I found I actually learnt quite a lot from the Apple sample codes and various stuff on the internet. Of the iPhone books I have the one that has been most useful to me is the (often slated) Erica Sadun book. It's NOT a book to learn Cocoa touch with - it is however a very useful collection of tips and code snippets.

If you already know Cocoa then Erica Sadun's iPhone Developers Cookbook is probably the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.