Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
nicnic77
macrumors member

Logic board repair (MacBook)

My MacBook is with Apple at the moment, and I'm expecting a call on Wednesday to tell me my worst fear; the logic board is kaput...

Apple will obviously charge a fortune for a complete replacement, so are there any alternatives such as a 3rd party repair service in the UK, or abroad? I've Googling but haven't found much.

One thing I have found is this Exchange Repair program. Send them your faulty Logic Board and get a refurbished one for $250? What do you guys think?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:25 PM   #2
NewMacbookPlz
macrumors 68040

What happened?

Is it not covered by warranty/are you out of warranty?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:39 AM   #3
nicnic77
macrumors member

I'm out of warranty unfortunately. I sold and shipped my MacBook to a eBayer 2 weeks ago, but it turned up dead on arrival, due to a) insufficient packaging, and b) incompetent UK Postal Service
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:13 AM   #4
Detektiv-Pinky
macrumors 6502a

iFixit

It seems you can buy the logic-board separately. However, it is not cheap...

http://www.ifixit.com/Products/MacBo...c-Boards/9/107
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5
nicnic77
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detektiv-Pinky View Post

Hi m8. Yeah I've seen that, and you're right far from cheap! Dreading the call from Apple tomorrow!!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:00 AM   #6
jamin100
macrumors 6502

It'll be around 500 for a logic board replacement from apple.
I had mine done a few weeks back but luckily it was still under warrenty.
jamin100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:44 PM   #7
harry454
macrumors 6502

make your postal service pay the fees, if you had insurance with it that is
iPhone 5S Grey 32 GB Unlocked | Retina iPad Mini 64GB Wifi/4g |
harry454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:19 AM   #8
nicnic77
macrumors member

The Apple reseller KRSC just called. 650 for a replacement logic board, but they'll provide free labour! No way I can justify paying that, considering a new one is 750! I think I may try the exchange repair program I mentioned in my first post, $250 for a refurbed logic board. My IT manager has said he'll do the labour for free....
Old Feb 26, 2009, 05:55 AM   #9
logana
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnic77 View Post
The Apple reseller KRSC just called. 650 for a replacement logic board, but they'll provide free labour! No way I can justify paying that, considering a new one is 750! I think I may try the exchange repair program I mentioned in my first post, $250 for a refurbed logic board. My IT manager has said he'll do the labour for free....
Don't forget the postage costs from the USA. Plus the chances are you will have to pay VAT and clearance costs when the logic board comes in to the UK.

Still a lot cheaper than KRSC - which processor is on your current logicboard - might be cheaper to get a logicboard on eBay (outright) if you can sneak in a speed upgrade at the same time......
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:09 AM   #10
frustycrow
macrumors newbie

Its very cheap now

I damaged my macbook by fluid spillage and apple gave me a quote of 1100 pounds for repair and charged 60 pounds for diagnostic.
Its logic board was fried and I took it to a local shop in london and they fixed it in 2 hours for 145 pounds. Only one day since working but so far so good. Perfectly normal.

Last edited by frustycrow; Mar 16, 2009 at 07:10 AM.
frustycrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:21 AM   #11
logana
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustycrow View Post
I dameged my macbook by fluid spillage and apple gave me a quote of 1100 pounds for repair and charged 60 pounds for diagnostic.
Its logic board was fried and I took it to a local shop in london and they fixed it in 2 hours for 145 pounds. Only one day since working but so far so good. Perfectly normal.
Please tell us more - MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Did they "repair" your Logicboard presumably ?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:19 AM   #12
frustycrow
macrumors newbie

logic board repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by logana View Post
Please tell us more - MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Did they "repair" your Logicboard presumably ?
Yes they repaired the logic board on component level. Its now one week since and it is still perfect.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:44 AM   #13
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detektiv-Pinky View Post

Yeah, and that isn't necessarily any better since you actually have to replace it yourself...

I don't think most people want to do that.
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:26 AM   #14
frustycrow
macrumors newbie

Last edited by frustycrow; Mar 22, 2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:25 AM   #15
rachaelov
macrumors newbie

Frustycow... or anyone else - I've got the same problem... fried logic board - quoted 600 by apple to fix. Would you mind posting. or emailing me, the shop you got your repair done at? Or any one else,

Cheers
rachaelov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 03:37 AM   #16
frustycrow
macrumors newbie

Macbook logicboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelov View Post
Frustycow... or anyone else - I've got the same problem... fried logic board - quoted 600 by apple to fix. Would you mind posting. or emailing me, the shop you got your repair done at? Or any one else,

Cheers
Here is the website, you can contact them. http://www.applerepairsinlondon.co.uk/
My macbook's logicboard was badly fried and apple quoted 1100 Pounds.
They fixed it in 2 hours for 145 pounds.
Good luck
Cheers
Old Apr 6, 2009, 05:28 AM   #17
Mindtwisterz
macrumors newbie

just curious, how old is your macbook?
Mindtwisterz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 03:11 PM   #18
rachaelov
macrumors newbie

Cheers frustycrow! Much appreciated... it was so tantalising!

Anyway, Mindtwisterz, my MacBook is 14 months old. After stewing, I went back down to the apple store on regents street and had a rather intense exchange with a "genius", and then a manager, and they agreed to retest the logic board; today it turns out it wasn't water damaged as they first opined, but a "general failure". I asked whether a 14 month old logic board should suffer a "general failure"? They've agreed to cover costs, as long as they don't find any water damage - which is fair enough, though it did feel that was a bit of face saving.

I would say once I got through to a manager, he was very good. But it took perseverence to get to him.

So, everything should be fine now... if not, it's down to frustycrow's suggestion, and hopefully I'll be able to put this 6 year old Dell out to pasture... again. I'll bookmark those apple repairers anyway - might be handy in the future... as would apple care (which I would now include in the real cost of any future mac purchases)
rachaelov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:00 AM   #19
ollie123321
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustycrow View Post
Here is the website, you can contact them. http://www.applerepairsinlondon.co.uk/
My macbook's logicboard was badly fried and apple quoted 1100 Pounds.
They fixed it in 2 hours for 145 pounds.
Good luck
Cheers
I would recommend avoiding this place, I had a very, very bad experience with them. I sent them my macbook for repair about a month ago, but when they told me how much it was to fix it, I decided not to have it done and asked them to send it back to me (this is within their policy). A month later, I got an email from some guy telling me they had sent him my macbook by mistake and had sent it back to them. I then rang them a couple of weeks later to ask them what was going on with my macbook, and they told me they had no record of having received it ever.

This may just have been bad luck for me, but their service is appalling as well. I was constantly told they would ring me back in 30 minutes, only for them to never contact me, and I would have to keep ringing and ringing back to get anywhere. They also kept changing the cost, at one point quoting a certain figure, at another saying it was irreparable.
ollie123321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:18 AM   #20
angemon89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie123321 View Post
I would recommend avoiding this place, I had a very, very bad experience with them. I sent them my macbook for repair about a month ago, but when they told me how much it was to fix it, I decided not to have it done and asked them to send it back to me (this is within their policy). A month later, I got an email from some guy telling me they had sent him my macbook by mistake and had sent it back to them. I then rang them a couple of weeks later to ask them what was going on with my macbook, and they told me they had no record of having received it ever.

This may just have been bad luck for me, but their service is appalling as well. I was constantly told they would ring me back in 30 minutes, only for them to never contact me, and I would have to keep ringing and ringing back to get anywhere. They also kept changing the cost, at one point quoting a certain figure, at another saying it was irreparable.
So what happened? You never got your MacBook back?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:34 PM   #21
Fluxious
macrumors newbie

Great apple support

I had called in about my black macbook's usb ports being very fickle. Sometimes they would detect the device right away, sometimes it would take about 20 minutes, and the back one rarely ever worked. I had called in about this around 2 months before my applecare warranty expired, but never got the work done they requested until this past january, a month after my warranty expired.

I called the apple store in my town (Kansas, USA) and they told my my warranty had expired but if it was something I had been having problems with for a while, applecare occasionally extends the warranty. I called them and they said I NEVER had a warranty... then I called em again, talked to someone else and they got their supervisor, and since they had requested work on it... they got EVERYthing that needed work replaced. New keyboard and top and a new logic board. Total approx $1000 including labor entirely for free.

Lesson: Always call in problems immediately. Applecare has your back.
Fluxious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:06 PM   #22
fluffyx
macrumors 6502

Apple will replace your logic board for $280 USD if there's no "physical damage".

Last edited by kainjow; Feb 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: advertising
fluffyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 05:55 AM   #23
Enricus
macrumors newbie

Any other suggestion?

Hello everyone. My last visit was the day my MBP died. Funnily enough, I used my laptop to buy a Snow Leopard from the online store, looked around for a good origami, put the laptop to sleep, and watched TV. When I opened the lid of the laptop, it wouldn't turn on, so I checked the battery, the charger... the laptop was dead. Obviously, the SMC reset procedures, or the other troubleshooting self-checks on Apple KB didn't help at all.

I sent the laptop to CDX in Germany (I was living there ATM). They told me the logic board was "defekt" but it was out of warranty, so the repair (installing a new logic board) would be 996EUR. I got my laptop back, and sent it to Sierra Circuit Repair (it was called Hammerhead Technology at the moment), as they had an offer of 295USD flatrate to repair the logic board.

Long story short: had to wait two weeks, they told me the logic board was unrepairable, then asked for a new logic board, they replied they had a used logic board they could install in my laptop, then waited two weeks, and they told me the logic board was not working (WTF?) and they would try again. They made me wait two months more, saying they had tried several boards, and none of them worked, and that they also sent the logic board to Apple (another WTF?) and they rejected it (wait, what?).

So, the laptop died in late-August, and got it back two weeks ago. Is there any other place I can try?
Enricus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:13 PM   #24
zacwhite15
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enricus View Post
Hello everyone. My last visit was the day my MBP died. Funnily enough, I used my laptop to buy a Snow Leopard from the online store, looked around for a good origami, put the laptop to sleep, and watched TV. When I opened the lid of the laptop, it wouldn't turn on, so I checked the battery, the charger... the laptop was dead. Obviously, the SMC reset procedures, or the other troubleshooting self-checks on Apple KB didn't help at all.

I sent the laptop to CDX in Germany (I was living there ATM). They told me the logic board was "defekt" but it was out of warranty, so the repair (installing a new logic board) would be 996EUR. I got my laptop back, and sent it to Sierra Circuit Repair (it was called Hammerhead Technology at the moment), as they had an offer of 295USD flatrate to repair the logic board.

Long story short: had to wait two weeks, they told me the logic board was unrepairable, then asked for a new logic board, they replied they had a used logic board they could install in my laptop, then waited two weeks, and they told me the logic board was not working (WTF?) and they would try again. They made me wait two months more, saying they had tried several boards, and none of them worked, and that they also sent the logic board to Apple (another WTF?) and they rejected it (wait, what?).

So, the laptop died in late-August, and got it back two weeks ago. Is there any other place I can try?
hey got a question for ya. did they explain what the damage was? i am able to do some basic logic board repair as long as its not too extensively damaged. i can do it for 150 + cost of parts. let me know if your interested.
zacwhite15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:38 AM   #25
princessfiona
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyx View Post
Apple will replace your logic board for $280 USD if there's no "physical damage".
Does this still apply - and if so, is this offer available in Australia?
princessfiona is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook