Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

Old Mar 28, 2004, 01:57 PM   #1
gujar
macrumors newbie

Your Apple computer is Made in xxx?

Where are Apple computers Made in. I am in process of making my final decision to buy PB 15'. I always try to buy goods made in good old USA even though they may cost me more and as far as possible try to avoid buying anything made in China.
gujar is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 02:00 PM   #2
wowser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujar
Where are Apple computers Made in. I am in process of making my final decision to buy PB 15'. I always try to buy goods made in good old USA even though they may cost me more and as far as possible try to avoid buying anything made in China.
i suppose that way you are less likely to be supporting slave labour. Mine from the Apple UK store is made in the Chezch Republic (can never spell that)
wowser is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 02:07 PM   #3
bwaadass
macrumors newbie

Good choice with the Powerbook. But I don't mind where it is assembled. We are living in a global economy now and we will ALL be better off (in the long run) if goods and services are produced by the people who have the competitive advantage.
bwaadass is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 02:10 PM   #4
wowser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaadass
Good choice with the Powerbook. But I don't mind where it is assembled. We are living in a global economy now and we will ALL be better off (in the long run) if goods and services are produced by the people who have the competitive advantage.
it may mean cheaper goods for us but it also means lower wages for the workers in other countries, so we are not 'all' better off
wowser is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 02:11 PM   #5
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

I think the manufacturing is mostly done in the U.S. and I know the assembling is done in Taiwan.
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 03:22 PM   #6
bwaadass
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowser
it may mean cheaper goods for us but it also means lower wages for the workers in other countries, so we are not 'all' better off
As demand for cheap labour rises so to will their wages... So these workers will gain too. A poor paying job is better than no job (as long as their markets have the neccessary legislation to prevent exploitation).

Last edited by bwaadass; Jan 24, 2005 at 03:14 PM.
bwaadass is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 03:40 PM   #7
legion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman Deluxe
I think the manufacturing is mostly done in the U.S. and I know the assembling is done in Taiwan.

Nope. Only design is done in the US (hence the "designed in CA" label on Apple boxes.) Manufacturing and assembling are done abroad. For PBs, I believe either Quanta or Compal handle the manufacturing (Taiwan/China) Only exception is the G5 chip itself, everything else isn't made in America (case, hard drives, motherboard, lcds, RAM, even the little plastic feet, G4 chip)

Oh yeah, even the pretty boxes are from the Asian countries.
legion is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 03:47 PM   #8
wowser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaadass
As demand for cheap labour rises so to will there wages... So these workers will gain too. A poor paying job is better than no job (as long as their markets have the neccessary legislation to prevent exploitation).
I'm sure Apple are quite ethical in their emplyment policies (at least i hope)
Also, I'm not sure what evidence there is to suggest that overseas wages increase as the demand for cheap labour increaces, but I suppose I will just accept this. I suppose i'm thinking of things like Sean Comb's clothing line and the conditions his workers were in, but i guess textile industries only need a certain level of skilled labour (or none at all) where as putting together Apple computers would be rather high skilled. My mouse is made in Malasia, anyways .
wowser is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 03:56 PM   #9
phrac
macrumors member

on the bottom of my 15" albook:
"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in Taiwan."
Old Mar 28, 2004, 04:18 PM   #10
hotwire132002
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to hotwire132002 Send a message via MSN to hotwire132002
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrac
on the bottom of my 15" albook:
"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in Taiwan."
Same thing on my Clamshell iBook.
hotwire132002 is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 05:00 PM   #11
cjc343
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to cjc343
I challenge you to find a computer where the parts, design, and assembly are done in the US.... I doubt it exists.

I reccommend you buy for quality, not because of where it was made.

If dell made all of their computers in the US, I would not buy from them, and I would not reccommend them until their quality improved....
cjc343 is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 07:26 PM   #12
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

All of the computer manufacturers have the computes assembled outside of the US because thats where all (or almost all) of the parts are in the first place.
crazzyeddie is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 07:31 PM   #13
adamjay
macrumors 6502a

my apple bluetooth pro mouse was made in Malaysia.
adamjay is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 07:31 PM   #14
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
the only apple computers assembled in the usa are the eMac and Powermac (except the 1.6ghz). I prefer assemebled in the USA as opposed to Taiwan. The ones assembled in the USA are sturdier/better quality, IMO

Last edited by latergator116; Mar 28, 2004 at 07:34 PM.
latergator116 is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 08:42 PM   #15
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
for a long time, a lot of macs were made in Cork, Ireland. not sure if they still maintain that production facility. I know they also produce in Mexico, that facility suffered a fire a while back, delaying (i think?) powerbooks...

I think the location of the facility is mostly chosen according to which governments give them the best deals on importing parts/exporting systems...

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 09:33 PM   #16
candan9019
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to candan9019
I don't understand this reasoning. If you want a mac you have no choice other than Apple. You can't go to someone else because they make there's in the U.S. because there is no one else. And as was mentioned most computers arn't totally made in the States anyways.

In the States I was told to buy American, in Canada I'm told to buy Canadian but those economics don't work. It's the global economy love it or hate it it's here to stay.
candan9019 is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:44 PM   #17
laserbeahm
macrumors member

The old CRT iMacs were made in Mexico.
Power Mac 6500
Performa 600 CD
iPod 10GB
laserbeahm is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:20 PM   #18
zamyatin
macrumors regular

Most of my Apple hardware seems to have been assembled in Taiwan.

At least you can be glad to know that the existence of a functionally independent Taiwan really pisses off (angers) the leadership of the People's Republic on the mainland. And buying Taiwanese products helps to make them stronger, and more likely to remain independent. (PS - Taiwan is a democracy, China a one-party dictatorship.)

PPS - This is intended to be humorous in a cynical and ironic way.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 01:08 AM   #19
gujar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by candan9019
I don't understand this reasoning. If you want a mac you have no choice other than Apple. You can't go to someone else because they make there's in the U.S. because there is no one else. And as was mentioned most computers arn't totally made in the States anyways.

In the States I was told to buy American, in Canada I'm told to buy Canadian but those economics don't work. It's the global economy love it or hate it it's here to stay.
Thank you all for your comments. Sorry I did not mean to start a political thread. I agree with you candan 9019 if I want a Mac I don't have a choice. I am not totally against buying goods from China but try to avoid if I can for the some of the reasons mentioned by others such as slave labor, communist government, supporting local economy and of course the quality of products.
gujar is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2004, 01:38 AM   #20
TimDaddy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujar
Thank you all for your comments. Sorry I did not mean to start a political thread. I agree with you candan 9019 if I want a Mac I don't have a choice. I am not totally against buying goods from China but try to avoid if I can for the some of the reasons mentioned by others such as slave labor, communist government, supporting local economy and of course the quality of products.
Nothing wrong with looking around, attempting to support the economy of your home. Sometimes, though, you gotta settle to get the product you want. I try and stick with things made in the U.S. and Canada. Mexico is 3rd on my list. I try to avoid the places with the exploited women and children. (But, I usually don't even think about it until I've already bought it.) Of course, with our minimum wage remaining at $5.15 an hour while everyone else is getting 2-4% a year in raises, I'm sure a lot of U.S. manufacturers could be considered exploiters. <---Is that a word?
Old Mar 29, 2004, 03:44 AM   #21
Doraemon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by latergator116
The ones assembled in the USA are sturdier/better quality, IMO
I find this prejudice that products made outside the US are of less quality very dangerous.
It's simply not true.

I think this entire debate is pointless.
Where ever the product was assembled, it undergoes Apple's quality control.
Doraemon is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2004, 05:53 AM   #22
NusuniAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzyeddie
All of the computer manufacturers have the computes assembled outside of the US because thats where all (or almost all) of the parts are in the first place.
well many computer processors are made right here in the us, and all the g5 procs are made right in nyc.
NusuniAdmin is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2004, 06:08 AM   #23
wowser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamyatin
Most of my Apple hardware seems to have been assembled in Taiwan.

At least you can be glad to know that the existence of a functionally independent Taiwan really pisses off (angers) the leadership of the People's Republic on the mainland. And buying Taiwanese products helps to make them stronger, and more likely to remain independent. (PS - Taiwan is a democracy, China a one-party dictatorship.)

PPS - This is intended to be humorous in a cynical and ironic way.
HAHA! i was troubled until i read the last line.
wowser is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2004, 06:29 AM   #24
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraemon
I find this prejudice that products made outside the US are of less quality very dangerous.
It's simply not true.

I think this entire debate is pointless.
Where ever the product was assembled, it undergoes Apple's quality control.
Sorry if I offended you. Actually I was just comparing products made from Taiwan. I don't mean all products made outside the US are poorer quality,etc.
latergator116 is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2004, 07:38 AM   #25
discoforce
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
Nope. Only design is done in the US (snip)
Based on this article from Forbes in 2001, Quanta was doing about 1/2 of the design of Apple's notebooks as well as the manufacturing: http://www.forbes.com/global/2001/0402/024.html

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)