Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Time Capsule and AirPort Base Station (802.11n) Firmware 7.4.1, bringing bug fixes and security enhancements to the just-released models, as well as older 802.11n-capable AirPort Extreme Base Station, AirPort Express, and Time Capsule models.

Notably, the update also enables remote access to attached drives for both previous AirPort Extreme Base Station 802.11n models as well as the first-generation Time Capsule. (The dual-band broadcast support and guest networking features also added to the newly-released models require hardware modifications, and are thus not available for older models.) Apple's support document provides additional details on the release.For AirPort Extreme (Early 2009) and Time Capsule (Early 2009) that ship with firmware 7.4, the firmware 7.4.1 update:

- Resolves an issue in which a client computer may be disconnected when waking from sleep
- Addresses an issue in which redirecting SMTP port services may disable IP-layer networking
- Improves the reliability of Back to My Mac-based disk sharing
- Includes recent AirPort security updates

For AirPort Extreme with 802.11n (Fast Ethernet), AirPort Extreme with 802.11n (Gigabit Ethernet), AirPort Express with 802.11n, and original Time Capsule models, the firmware 7.4.1 update:

- Enables remote administration and remote access to compatible USB connected drives via Back to My Mac (except on AirPort Express)
- Improves reliability when backing up to a Time Capsule via Time Machine
- Includes recent AirPort security updatesThe security enhancements included with the update are detailed in a separate support document.

The firmware update is currently available via the AirPort Utility setup and management application. Users should be sure to update to the recently-released AirPort Utility 5.4.1 before attempting to update their base station's firmware.

Article Link: Apple Releases AirPort and Time Capsule Firmware Update: Adds Remote File Access to Older Models

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Damn, why doesn't apple do a Dynamic DNS like everyone else out there. It is so easy and kinda a rip off to make it mobile me only. IMHO.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I love that separate network option in the airports.

Does linksys or others do that as well on their newer models?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Just read at another forum that Cisco released on two new routers today. Thought was cool Apple did it first. Then again, maybe it's out there by others and I just had never heard of it.

Definitely cool. Love the fact that I will be able to use my AEBS with MobileMe.

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
So, for the remote file access, do you have to have 2 Macs then? Since it's being run under the guise of "Back to My Mac," I fear that this is the case. So much for having this cool feature.

dvince2

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2007
Canada

Yeah, both Linksys and D-Link have it (and have had it for quite some time)

EDIT:

The linksys one is the Lynksys WRT610, and they've been out atleast since November (thats when we got them at the Staples I work at)

rezonat0r

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
When are we gonna get a teardown of the new Time Capsules to see how different the hardware is? Come on, someone take that thing apart...

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Just read at another forum that Cisco released on two new routers today. Thought was cool Apple did it first. Then again, maybe it's out there by others and I just had never heard of it.

Definitely cool. Love the fact that I will be able to use my AEBS with MobileMe.

Awesome. I am pretty happy with my Linksys but it's getting really old, starting to think about a new one...

Also, thanks dvince2!

drocha184

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Help! Please!

My iMac can't connect to my Airport( First N-band model). I can't even access it through airport under utilities. :mad:

LanPhantom

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Hooper, UT
It all came back up!

Sometimes we are spoiled. Whenever I update bios/firmware I get freaked out that it won't come back (thanks for the paranoia M$/Dell/Gateway/HP/and the rest of the WinTel world).

However, when I update all of my MAC's / Airports it always comes back up.

I guess I'm just a happy Apple User right now.

LanPhantom. :)

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Sometimes we are spoiled. Whenever I update bios/firmware I get freaked out that it won't come back (thanks for the paranoia M$/Dell/Gateway/HP/and the rest of the WinTel world).

My basestation got hosed by the update. I ended up resetting it (hold reset button in back until light flashes) then re-configuring from scratch. Works fine now.

virus7

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Denver, CO
So, for the remote file access, do you have to have 2 Macs then? Since it's being run under the guise of "Back to My Mac," I fear that this is the case. So much for having this cool feature.

Yes as far as I can tell (and I just set it up) it's a "Back to My Mac" feature. In initial readings I thought it would show up in the web app under iDisk, maybe I didn't read it very well, but that's what I was assuming.

So if it shows up as an external drive then remote backups should be possible...I haven't read everything, but has that been disputed?

Too bad my macbook air doesn't leave the house much :)

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Damn, why doesn't apple do a Dynamic DNS like everyone else out there. It is so easy and kinda a rip off to make it mobile me only. IMHO.

Oh lawl... hhahahah... "why doesn't apple do ________".... oh man, thats a good one...

What silly questions you ask young padawan. So Apple can charge 100 a year for their quite mediocre service of course... :)

Its just a damn shame that no-one has still hacked the Airports to install 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Tomato etc... That would be amazing...

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006

That's what I'm wondering. I take my MBP with me, but it's my only computer. If I have a hard drive connected to my AEBS, can I get into it even if there's no computer connected to the network?

If so, I will be SUPER happy.

If not, well I guess I lived without it before... and that's what iDisk is supposed to be for right?

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
That's what I'm wondering. I take my MBP with me, but it's my only computer. If I have a hard drive connected to my AEBS, can I get into it even if there's no computer connected to the network?

If not, well I guess I lived without it before... and that's what iDisk is supposed to be for right?

You already can, I do it all the time when I'm away from home.

Just enable WAN sharing and then just access it from any computer in the world...

wsae

On Windows just go to \\you.r.i.p\name_of_harddrive

On OS X, just open finder, click on 'Go', 'Connect to Server', enter your IP, and it'll ask you for the login info. Once you enter it, you can use it just like you would use an iDisk.

xcyn

pcey

LtCarter47

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Roseville, CA

Pretty sure that's how it works, without a 2nd Mac. Sounds like your AEBS is basically registered with MobileMe as if it were a Mac.

I'm going to play with it this weekend, hopefully it works the way I've interpreted.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
You already can, I do it all the time when I'm away from home.

Just enable WAN sharing and then just access it from any computer in the world...

On Windows just go to \\you.r.i.p\name_of_harddrive

On OS X, just open finder, click on 'Go', 'Connect to Server', enter your IP, and it'll ask you for the login info. Once you enter it, you can use it just like you would use an iDisk.

Thanks! That was incredibly helpful.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Before I update this mission critical piece of my home office, I'm waiting to make sure no major bugs are in it :) So...how are things working out?

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
when i go to click "start back to my mac"
it says i have a bad connection to MobileMe
when i am able to sync everything

WTF??

any answers?

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Thanks! That was incredibly helpful.

No prob. Just keep in mind, you need the modem to either be very friendly with UPNP, or you just open everything you can to the airport. Some of the ****** router/modem combo things - the 2wire ones, that AT&T gives out everyone, are complete trash and are a pain in the ass to work with since they don't even support the basic things... literally you can't do anything on them except very light browsing on one machine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.