Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
To quote a famous politician...Yes, we can! ...and here is how.

Wait, wait... I'm confused. For those of you concerned about "registering a specific mobileme name" with the Time Capsule:

Can't you share a disk over the internet ALREADY? I mean PRIOR to the firmware update... I haven't personally tried it yet, going to "Disks" and checking "Share disks over WAN" would seem to be exactly what we are talking about... right?

-fate

And here is the thread...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/429956/

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
Any ideas on why connecting to my Airdisks when away from home would be super-slow? (I know that it's not going to be like when I'm connected at home, but WOW, I never thought it would be as slow as it is.)

I tried moving a 170 MB file from my Airdisk at home onto my desktop at work, and the transfer took 40 minutes! Is this going to be the norm, or is there something fishy here?

Alhambra2606

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Any ideas on why connecting to my Airdisks when away from home would be super-slow? (I know that it's not going to be like when I'm connected at home, but WOW, I never thought it would be as slow as it is.)

I tried moving a 170 MB file from my Airdisk at home onto my desktop at work, and the transfer took 40 minutes! Is this going to be the norm, or is there something fishy here?

Guess this is all dependent on your home upload speed.

jsnipper

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
apple appears to have posted new firmware for the AE (N) - "7.4.1 (74100.25)"

I wonder if this fixes the issue with them joining a closed network....I wasted enough time this weekend trying to get my setup working, I think I'm going to wait for 7.4.2 :cool:

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

170MB/40minutes gives about 500kbps. That is not bad for an upload speed. Not great but not bad.

BigTRQ

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
170MB/40minutes gives about 500kbps. That is not bad for an upload speed. Not great but not bad.
Is that okay? I was going from home to work, not the other way around. So, wouldn't that be a "download" then (taking from Airdisk at home, to laptop connected at work)?

Just curious.

peejer

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
TN
For what it's worth I just had to rollback my firmware to 7.3.2 this am. With the new update I kept losing my signal. Finally had enough of the problem. I hope Apple can get this fixed.

wwjdjoe

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2008
Reset to Factory Settings Worked

I had the same issue with being unable to read the configuration file on my AEBS after a "successful" update to 7.4.1. I was able to get it back by connecting via CAT5e and resetting it to factory default settings. Of course, I had to re-configure after the reset, but everything (don't own ATV or TC) including iPhone 3G, USB HD, and closed network works.

wwjdjoe

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2008
Reset to Factory Settings Worked 2

Oh, and it's still at 7.4.1. I had no need to go back to a previous version.

frolix

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
AEBS and MobileMe

Is there anyone who can explain (in detail) how to get a usb-HD (connected with an Airport Extreme) show up in finder through MobileMe?

It's still not working here ... 'Back to my Mac' is set up correctly (giving the green light) as well as my AEBS (as far as I can tell). My iMac and PowerBook G4 show up in finder but the 'Airport-disk' doesn't.

where is the catch? this should be easy ...

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Happened to me when I first updated a few days ago.
Had to reset my Airport Extreme to default and start over manually.
Still haven't got the Express extender working...
I'll wait to try 7.4.1... it just showed up while I was surfing.

Z

jamesnisabelle

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
Hi there, ive been reading throught this thread and still havent really got any further, ive upgraded my old timecapsules firmware to the latest and inputed my mobile me details into the preferences, ive also switched my back to my mac on at home and also done this on my imac at work, ive inputed the mobile me details at work and back to my mac is saying that it is connected at home, how do i view any files that are at home or on my timecapsule, there is nothing showing up in my finder sidebar and the preferences are ticked for mobile me and btmm in the sidebar

Any ideas

Thanks

wwjdjoe

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2008
I had the same issue with being unable to read the configuration file on my AEBS after a "successful" update to 7.4.1. I was able to get it back by connecting via CAT5e and resetting it to factory default settings. Of course, I had to re-configure after the reset, but everything (don't own ATV or TC) including iPhone 3G, USB HD, and closed network works.

Well, almost. I've noticed that Time Machine no longer recognizes it's files, so it wants to do a full backup and of course the disk is almost full, so there's no room left. Obviously, I don't want to blow away my old backups.

I think this may be due to a change in the passwords when reconfiguring, but I'm not sure. The HD access password is the same as it used to be and I can access a second partition I put on that disk for general storage.

Any ideas on how to get TM to recognize the existing file?

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
Is there anyone who can explain (in detail) how to get a usb-HD (connected with an Airport Extreme) show up in finder through MobileMe?

It's still not working here ... 'Back to my Mac' is set up correctly (giving the green light) as well as my AEBS (as far as I can tell). My iMac and PowerBook G4 show up in finder but the 'Airport-disk' doesn't.

where is the catch? this should be easy ...

Did you log in with your MobileMe account in the Airport Utility?
t01z

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Sneaky Apple ?

I have a strong suspicion that Apple did this on purpose (the old TC getting serious issues that needed fallback to the old 7.3.2 version), in the hope that some users will actually buy the new TC out of frustration!.
Not many people actually read any instructions these days, so would probably bite the bullet and spend the money.

Apple could not have not known this would have happened to older AEBS and old TC units. They have testers and certainly tested this firmware. And the fact that they have not even released a fix quickly, tells a story in itself.

HP 485 here we go. 4 Bays and do TM and Windows too!. Wow TC cannot do that ....

Icelandr

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for the postings above, with the information I was able to change settings, update firmware and with luck I'll be able to login remotely AFTER I figure out how to find the IP address of my Airport Extreme, OK, OK a dumb question but how do I find the IP address? . . . . .Please?

Atroz

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks for the postings above, with the information I was able to change settings, update firmware and with luck I'll be able to login remotely AFTER I figure out how to find the IP address of my Airport Extreme, OK, OK a dumb question but how do I find the IP address? . . . . .Please?

You generally don't need to know if it you are using the Airport Utility. It should just show up. If you do want to know it, it is displayed on the first screen that comes up in Airport Utility. If you are using DHCP internally, then your machines by default will find it as the default route. If Airport Utility is not find the router, then you have another problem.

What do you mean by login remotely? If you are trying to use Airport Utility to the router wirelessly? You may have this disabled as it is a setting.

If you are trying to find your home Internet IP address, that also shows up in Airport Utility as soon as you view the first page of the settings. It's at the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.