Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

familyte

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2003
So Cal
applemacdude said:
Is it possible to use xgris to cluster running os 9 to do seti?
Here is a link for xgrid and I seem to remember reading something (somewhere) about being able to use xgrid with SETI, but I don't see any links. The biggest problem you will have, I believe, is using xgrid with OS 9.

Good luck!

stoid

macrumors 601
Well, you are going to have to upgrade to Mac OS X in order to take advantage of the Xgrid software. I tried to do something like that with folding, but I didn't have any luck, I think that the software needs to be coded in order to use the Xgrid set-up. In which case there would be a link on the SETI website, which I can't find.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Xgrid is only still in Beta, so maybe soon it will have this kind of support. I think they are working on it, else they woudn't post a link on their site next to the folding secton of the Apple site. So probably they are working on something for distributed computing.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
apple's xgrid setup at macworld used gigabit bandwith connections between the machines...not sure how well it would work on 10 or 100BT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.