Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 12, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1
HalleluYAH
macrumors newbie

How would you stop Mac from automatically unzipping files?

I use Mac Tiger 10.4.11 When I download .Zip files, they are automatically unzipped by whichever program I have set as my default "(de)compression-program" on Mac.

Please tell me what I should do to stop my .Zip files from automatically being unzipped immediately after I download them.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Jisuo
macrumors 6502

You are using Safari?

Safari > preferences > General > uncheck "Open safe files after downloading"
Jisuo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 05:56 PM   #3
HalleluYAH
macrumors newbie

How to stop Mac from automatically unzipping files?

I've been using Firefox only for downloading .Zip files. Do anyone of you know how to stop it from automatically unzipping files?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 06:11 PM   #4
BobZune
macrumors 6502a

In Firefox preferences, under Applications, find the file type (PC ZIP?) and click it and set up the option to just dowload the file, or ask you what to do.
BobZune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 06:28 PM   #5
HalleluYAH
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZune View Post
In Firefox preferences, under Applications, find the file type (PC ZIP?) and click it and set up the option to just dowload the file, or ask you what to do.
".ZIP" isn't listed (I scrolled down the "Applications-window"). So what is causing my Mac to automatically Unzip files without my permission?

Screenshot shows that ".Zip" is not listed in that "Applications-window":

Old Mar 12, 2009, 06:36 PM   #6
danny_w
macrumors 601

Do a search in that screen's search box for "zip". Mine has "Gnu ZIP" and "PC ZIP", both of which say "Always Ask".
Old Mar 12, 2009, 09:53 PM   #7
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

For me, PC Zip is listed one item up from your screen shot, directly above PICT Picture. I also have Stuffit Archive.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help