Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
techage14
macrumors regular

Possibility of Boost Mobile on iPhone 3G?

Since some Boost Mobile phones use Sim cards, is there anyway to activate a phone that has Boost's $50 unlimited plan and use that sim in the iPhone 3G? I'm assuming you could just activate a plan with Boost, take the Sim card out of the phone, and insert it (along with a Rebel Unlocking Sim card) into the sim tray of the iPhone 3G and, you would get unlimited talk, text, & web. Do you think it's possible? I've tried google-ing it and nothing came up about it on the web. What are your thoughts?
read my blog!
techage14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:48 PM   #2
fenderbass146
macrumors 6502a

I think it is a different kind of sim completly. I think its like the same as sprint and nextel.
fenderbass146 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:42 AM   #3
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Boost Mobile uses Sprint/Nextel IDEN network. (no CDMA or GSM support)
Data on Boost is maxed out at 25kbps (no EVDO support)

Howard Forums has a pretty good write up on the technology they use.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1499041
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Mr. Giver '94
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Giver '94
I've honestly never heard of Boost Mobile.

If it's CDMA (no SIM) it will not work with the iPhone. (as of now)

Some of the lesser known companies use other technologies as opposed to GSM or CDMA. I think Virgin Mobile does something like that.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:54 AM   #5
techage14
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
Boost Mobile uses Sprint/Nextel IDEN network. (no CDMA or GSM support)
Data on Boost is maxed out at 25kbps (no EVDO support)

Howard Forums has a pretty good write up on the technology they use.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1499041
Honestly, I just found that out a few minutes ago. I was disappointed, naturally. iDEN network is similar to the GSM standard but, not close enough. If I where to put that Boost sim into my iPhone 3G, my iPhone would chew it up and spit it out in a vomit of bits and bites.
read my blog!
techage14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 02:36 PM   #6
pbarrett
macrumors newbie

The iBoost?

Here is a thought,
Boost supports CDMA & iDEN. Most of the customers are iDEN, but some of the early customers were CDMA. From what I understand, you are still able to get a new account as a CDMA and in some cases customer service will convert a iDEN customer to CDMA if you have lost your phone and only have a CDMA replacement. Soon the iphone will be available on Verizon, a CDMA carrier. Is it possible that you could get a new unlocked CDMA iphone and activate it on boost?

Last edited by pbarrett; Dec 22, 2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling
pbarrett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 02:48 PM   #7
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Really, Boost mobile? That would be your choce, Boost mobile? Think about that, Boost mobile. Good luck with that. Even a way more broken AT&T is better than boost mobile.
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 01:09 AM   #8
dhaxelbarqs
Banned

Boost Mobile announced the launch of a new brand identity. Designed to visually and conceptually ... apple iphone 3g accessories.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:47 AM   #9
labman
macrumors 604

Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarrett View Post
Here is a thought,
Boost supports CDMA & iDEN. Most of the customers are iDEN, but some of the early customers were CDMA. From what I understand, you are still able to get a new account as a CDMA and in some cases customer service will convert a iDEN customer to CDMA if you have lost your phone and only have a CDMA replacement. Soon the iphone will be available on Verizon, a CDMA carrier. Is it possible that you could get a new unlocked CDMA iphone and activate it on boost?
IPhone going to verizon is only a rumor until Apple says it. Till then it remains a rumor. Verizon should really go gsm they would
benifit from it greatly. Not just because of the iPhone most of the world is gsm.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 09:44 AM   #10
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
IPhone going to verizon is only a rumor until Apple says it. Till then it remains a rumor. Verizon should really go gsm they would
benifit from it greatly. Not just because of the iPhone most of the world is gsm.
You really think it would make sense for them to switch to a different 2G technology at a cost of billions of dollars and making every handset any of their customers owns instantly obsolete just so they could provide poorer service (GSM really is a poorer 2G voice technology) for the couple of years that remain before they switch to 4G/LTE?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 04:21 AM   #11
dvdhsu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Here is a thought,
Rumour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
If the iPhone goes to Verizon, the iPhone is the one changing to LTE, not Verizon. Changing a phone is much easier than changing the whole backbone of a nationwide network.

But yeah, Boost Mobile is terrible. Text messages took 23 hours to arrive. Sorta defeats the point of a text message.
dvdhsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:51 AM   #12
anschoo
macrumors newbie

Oh thanks
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:16 AM   #13
US ARMY 3194
macrumors newbie

sucks to be you dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
Really, Boost mobile? That would be your choce, Boost mobile? Think about that, Boost mobile. Good luck with that. Even a way more broken AT&T is better than boost mobile.
hey dude Boost Mobile is actually way better then AT&T cause guess what unlimited everything for 60 a month with blackberry mobile, hmm and freaking coverage all over North America, hmm 60 bucks unlimited everything to AT&T's 200 dollars hmm id go with Boost and dude freaking AT&T is getting rid of your iphones unlimited internet data packages so its going to lose alot of money from that so switch to BOOST MOBILE NOW
US ARMY 3194 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:11 AM   #14
outz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by US ARMY 3194 View Post
hey dude Boost Mobile is actually way better then AT&T cause guess what unlimited everything for 60 a month with blackberry mobile, hmm and freaking coverage all over North America, hmm 60 bucks unlimited everything to AT&T's 200 dollars hmm id go with Boost and dude freaking AT&T is getting rid of your iphones unlimited internet data packages so its going to lose alot of money from that so switch to BOOST MOBILE NOW
Does that make a Kia better than a BMW just because it's a lot cheaper? No... You get what you pay for usually.
outz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:24 AM   #15
hackthatphone
macrumors 68000

I'll stick with GSM ( a world-wide standard ) versus some niche market cell phone technology REGARDLESS of perception of good or bad quality.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:28 AM   #16
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by outz View Post
Does that make a Kia better than a BMW just because it's a lot cheaper? No... You get what you pay for usually.
True.
But would you buy your kid a Kia, or a BMW?
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:01 AM   #17
TitanTiger
macrumors regular

There's nothing wrong with Boost Mobile. Uses the same network as Sprint. Affordable plans. Phones are decent but nothing on the level of an iPhone currently. Certainly not analogous to Kia vs BMW comparisons as far as the network goes. If it was possible to get an iPhone or one of the really good Android phones to work on it, it would be a nice solution for a lot of people.
TitanTiger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:36 AM   #18
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Newbie's got mad Thread Necromancy skills.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:19 PM   #19
pbarrett
macrumors newbie

you missed the whole point of the question I posted. I know the verizon iphone is a rumor. The question is if they make a verizon (CDMA) iphone is it technically possible to put it on boost?
pbarrett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:57 PM   #20
dvdhsu
macrumors 6502a

If Boost agrees to have phones on their network from other carriers, yes.

MetroPCS is willing to flash any CDMA phone for you, onto their network, for example. It depends on Boost.
dvdhsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:34 AM   #21
morales3000
macrumors newbie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by US ARMY 3194 View Post
Boost is growing faster, even I'm paying $55 month and I have unlimited direct connect,FREE calls to US or Mexico, yes FREE (there is a way to do it), without charges and I usually talk for more than 30 min FREE.
morales3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:20 PM   #22
rodrethegreat
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Boost mobile iphone

You will be able to use it just download redsn0w and then just pop it in and you can talk and text nut you can't use the web i tried it and did it.!!!!!!!!! sucks
rodrethegreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:09 AM   #23
Carl G35c
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrethegreat View Post
You will be able to use it just download redsn0w and then just pop it in and you can talk and text nut you can't use the web i tried it and did it.!!!!!!!!! sucks
not possible
Carl G35c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:44 AM   #24
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
. Is it possible that you could get a new unlocked CDMA iphone and activate it on boost?
The answer is "NO", for the same reason the CDMA iphone cannot be on Sprint (at least not at the moment), there is No such a thing a an unlocked (or a locked for that matter) CDMA phone. CDMA networks works in different way the phone info need to be programmed on the network for the phone to even see it. (in a nutshell it is actually a bit more complex than that, but for the sake of this argument let's just dumb it down a bit).
maturola is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:49 AM   #25
labman
macrumors 604

Must we bring these pointless threads back from the grave. A quick google will tell you boost won't work. Newbies just looking for attention.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks