Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ars Technica reports that a property list file in the iPhone OS 3.0 beta reveals the existence of four unknown products. The file references products known as "iPhone3,1", "iPod3,1", "iFPGA", and "iProd0,1".

These products are listed in addition to entries for the existing two iPhone models (known as "iPhone1,1" and "iPhone1,2") and two iPod touch models (known as "iPod1,1" and "iPod2,1"). An entry for another unknown model, "iPhone2,1" was discovered in January in the iPhone OS 2 software and revealed to have been spotted on ad delivery networks as early as October 2008. That model is also listed in the iPhone 3.0 property list file.
The file, /System/Library/AppleUSBDevice/USBDeviceConfiguration.plist, lists details about the USB configuration of the various iPhone and iPod touch models, as well as the device ID and product names. The same file in iPhone OS 2.2.1 lists the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and first- and second-gen iPod touches, referred to as iPhone1,1; iPhone1,2; iPod1,1; and iPod2,1 respectively. It also lists an unknown iPhone model, labelled iPhone2,1, which starting turning up in web server logs as far back as October 2008.

In addition to these references, USBDeviceConfiguration.plist in iPhone OS 3.0 beta contains references to iPhone3,1; iPod3,1; iFPGA; and iProd0,1. All of the products are assigned unique productID numbers, though all are assigned a productString of iPhone. These details are reported to Mac OS X when the devices are plugged in via USB, and would show up in System Profiler, for instance.
Steven Troughton-Smith, who spotted the entries, is the same developer who activated tethering on the iPhone OS 3.0 beta yesterday. He speculates that "iFPGA" may be a device that utilizes a field-programmable gate array. The numbering designation of "0,1" for the "iProd" device may signify that it is a prototype device of an unknown type.

No other details on the products have been discovered, and there is no word on when or if they may be ready for release.

Article Link: iPhone OS 3.0 Beta References Four Unknown Products

TimmyDee

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
CattleProd.jpg

iProd.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Sounds exciting. I guess its all more evidence of a likely upgrade to iPhone hardware in summer, which i realllllly want!!!

Elektronkind

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
Baltimore, MD
The "iProd" is either a cattle prod version of the iPod suitable for farm workers, or some new iPod hardware designed specifically for the Korea/Japan/China market.

/dale

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
'iFPGA' is probably just a FPGA-based prototype device-- something that they haven't yet built an ASIC for.

This image shows two large Apple-labeled chips (processor and video chipset?). I'd guess that PA Semi is working on combining those two, and the developers are just using a FPGA-based prototype so they're not stuck waiting on ASICs to be finished.

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
If iPhone 3G was 1,2 then iPhone 3,1 must be a HUUUGE hardware change, no? :eek:

I hope so :D

*Excitement!*

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Bye Bye OQO!

I will now wait before diving into another OQO, the possibility of a "netbook" from mac irresistible!

Though we know it will not be called a netbook...

My personal opinion is it will be a larger Iphone/Ipod with a 7-9 inch display and a keyboard.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
My guess is this:

One new iPod Touch
Two new iPhones
New Touch Tablet
Unannounced NetBook
Unannounced Compact Personal Tazer

Timmy broke news on the Tazer. Nice work Timmy.

Boom. All the newbies are now happy. :)

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
If iPhone 3G was 1,2 then iPhone 3,1 must be a HUGE hardware change, no?:O

*Excitement!*

Well, we still haven't seen iPhone 2,1 which has been referenced for a while.

It's possible Apple just put a few things in there for the rumor sites. I can see someone over there saying "iFPGA, there you go! What the over/under on that one showing up at Gizmodo? :D"

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If iPhone 3G was 1,2 then iPhone 3,1 must be a HUUUGE hardware change, no? :eek:

*Excitement!*

There wasnt a very big change to begin with in the hardware from iphone to iphone 3g.

3G
GPS
Curved back

Not exactly massive.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Unannounced Compact Personal Tazer

Timmy broke news on the Tazer. Nice work Timmy.

Boom. All the newbies are now happy. :)

the iProd won't be for sale. It's for mall security this time around when they have to deal with all of us nutcases camping out for weeks for the iPhone 2,1. :)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Please be aware it's possible for two successive hardware generations of iphones to be in testing at the same time (so iphone 2,1 and 3,1 probably won't hit at the same time-- different variations same generation would be 2,1 vs 2,2). We first saw 2,1 back in october according to logs, but 3,1 hasn't appeared yet. 3,1 very well could be a cortex a9 device, as the full product pipeline is about 2 years for one of these cores.

prod is a generic shorthand for product. iprod could be anything. However, given it appears in the mobile os files, I'd say it won't be a netbook. I can't imagine an apple netbook without full OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.