Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
iPhone 2,1 - Could be the cheaper iPhone model aimed at the mid-range market, possibly with similar specs to the iPhone 3G.
iPhone 3,1 - The new iPhone we've all been waiting for.
That's basically what I'm thinking, the iPod touch may go in the same direction. Not sure if the iPhone2,1 will be (significantly) smaller though.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
iPhone 2,1 - Could be the cheaper iPhone model aimed at the mid-range market, possibly with similar specs to the iPhone 3G.
iPhone 3,1 - The new iPhone we've all been waiting for.
And then the 64 GB touches we've been craving.

I wonder what the real name will be for the next iPhone. Can't really call it iPhone 3 as that could be confused with iPhone 3G. iPhone 3G2? :p

The product sub-numbers (,x) indicate revisions, not storage distinctions. Otherwise, we'd already have three variants of ipod touch numbers for 8, 16, and 32gb capacities.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Clearly new iPhone models will be out this summer but what else does Apple have up it's sleeve that can run the iPhone OS ... hmmm

Can't wait! :D

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
. . .why would apple patent a device in april of last year when the touch, and iphone had already been released.

They filed the patent in March 2007, before either one was released, although the iPhone had been announced.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
OK, I know people will dispute this comment as it seems hearsay at best, but...

A friend of mine was visiting mutual friends in Dallas when he met a friend of theirs (follow?). So, during drinks this friend began talking about product development at Apple. It went from "I can't say" to "I'll tell you everything" in a matter of a few martini's. Supposedly this guy mentioned a larger iPhone device. In his description he stated imagine taking the current iPhone, and sliding out the bottom to double the size. Using this form factor, it will create a double sized "tablet" like screen when needed, then slides back to a regular form factor iPhone.

I called b.s. when I heard this story, however with all the talk about new version iPhones and tablets, it might just be a reality.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
If I were apple I would just put all these plists into every release:

etc...

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
The product sub-numbers (,x) indicate revisions, not storage distinctions. Otherwise, we'd already have three variants of ipod touch numbers for 8, 16, and 32gb capacities.

I wasn't saying storage distinctions. I was saying specs i.e. how Apple still sell the 2nd gen shuffle and 3rd gen shuffle. So you'd have one iPhone based on the iPhone 3G. Then the new one built almost from scratch.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Apple is developing a 10" "netbook". But instead of it having its own guts, it will use the iPhone's processing, etc. It will be clamshell. You open it and lay the iPhone down flat where the touch pad would be. It recesses and docks. The netbooks display lights up. The iPhone's screen becomes a custom multi-touch mouse pad. It will be a "pro dock" iPROD. :apple:

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Well, this is more possible proof toward a tablet running the iPod/Phone OS.

Boo-hoo's all around. Unless there is some greater capability to it we aren't sure of yet.

Why Boo-hoos? There are valid reason for expanding Apple's mobile platform rather than downgrading its laptop platform.

Here's a quote:

"The breadth and depth of the apps that Apple demoed showed capabilities that would simply be impossible on other devices and platforms at the moment."

http://gartenblog.net/2009/03/17/iphone-30-first-take/

With 3.0, the current iPhone and Touch as well as follow-on mobile devices represent something:

-- that anyone can easily use
-- can be held in one hand
-- is always connected to "everything"
-- can already do media, games, ecommerce
-- can be taken anywhere
-- can interface any other devices/accessories (felica, IR, barcode readers, credit card readers, medical equipment, security devices....) through connector, BT

Or, best said in another quote:

"The key is the device's ability to become whatever a user needs."

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/17/apple-iphone-software-technology-internet-infrastructure-apple.html

This mobile platform is going to leave the computers of today in the dust*

*performing necessary back room and support tasks while tethered to a desk

Dick Applebaum

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Sure, it's probably just a short code name, but when I read iProd I instantly thought of the those iPhone compatible gloves they were researching.

tonynibbles

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
Surely these are just references to previous firmware revisions?

Why do people think they're entirely different products?

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I dunno why anyone wants a tablet so bat or a netbook. The iPhone solves all the problems i would ever need a portable low end computer for AND it fits in my pocket. I'd rather they concentrate all their efforts into that form factor:apple:

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
On the main page, it's literally directly under the "Mac Rumors" tab. "Submit it."

My guess is that it will be merged with your thread eventually.

Hey thanks!

I probably made the title of my thread a little confusing and cluttered, seeing as how I only had 23 views and 1 reply in those 30 something odd minutes.

Oh well, no biggie ;)

W00T! New iPhones! Yay!

I called b.s. when I heard this story

You did?

Well, I'll support you by calling BS right now! :D

jrbeaudry

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
New Touch Screen MacBook

All of these upgrades really make it seem like Apple is working on a new touch OS for a MacBook Touch. We are pretty sure they are working on something but with how much time they are working on this and the release date seems like the OS and a New MacBook Touch will be released at the same time sometime this summer.:cool:

cswiger1

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
here's to hoping that one of those works on the verizon network...

i know the "iphone" in its current state cannot, but if it's a different phone (like an iphone HD or nano or whatever) i'm pretty sure it they can get away from AT&T with it.

i doubt it will happen, but i'll hope anyways.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
Well, this is more possible proof toward a tablet running the iPod/Phone OS.

Boo-hoo's all around. Unless there is some greater capability to it we aren't sure of yet.

Could be both, you know. For a tablet, the ability to run AppStore apps + Desktop apps would be Boss and/or premo. (I just wanted to use those two words that way, but you get what I'm saying.)

Although you and I both want very different things from a tablet. I personally still think it'll run iPhone OS 3.0 + Desktop OSX. Mainly what I want is a Dell Mini 9 class computer with 10" touch screen priced at $600. You want a stand alone computer. :D

Well see what happens. Truth be told, we won't know which one of us will be buying until we see what they release.

Although let us both agree that mobile iWork/iLife is needed all around?

So how do you make a 'submission' then?

Because I posted this thread 38 minutes earlier: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/671046/

And hey! Whadyaknow?! There is a story on the homepage which is very similar! Freaked me out that it was so closely related even!

WOWOMGZWTFBBQ!!!
:D

Join the Club

Mine date back to Yesterday @ 1:30. Both threads died a sad death...

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
He speculates that "iFPGA" may be a device that utilizes a field-programmable gate array. The numbering designation of "0,1" for the "iProd" device may signify that it is a prototype device of an unknown type

can someone re-say for the non-tech geek person?? I have no clue what that means

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I keep wondering if apple is going to divide the iPhone range up a bit, for diversification.

I.E.

• iPhone Pro - not a buisness phone, rather it has a 8+ megapixel camera, a proper flash and a mini version of iphoto included (possibly pay-to-upgrade software for the basic model)
  • iPhone Classic, basically the iPhone we know now
  • (crazy out there mode) iPhone Flip, compact model of iphone, idea A: is it's two screens that can open up in portrait or landscape configurations. idea B is it's basically a OS X version of the blackberry pearl flip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.