Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 9, 2004, 09:32 PM   #1
wdlove
macrumors 604

Woman Gives Self C-Section With Knife

Mother Had Lost Child Before During Childbirth

POSTED: 3:02 p.m. EDT April 7, 2004

CHICAGO -- Doctors say a rural Mexican woman used her farming skills to perform a Caesarean section on herself -- and delivered a healthy baby boy.

The effort is described as "heroic."

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/heal...12150004082004
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:04 PM   #2
Frohickey
macrumors 6502a

Frohickey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:09 PM   #3
coopdog
macrumors 6502a

what would she use? A spork?
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:16 PM   #4
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

That was extremely brave of her. I can't imagine cutting myself up on purpose. The thought makes my stomach turn. Of course, if her stomach turned as well, it would of probably leaked out, making this story even more miraculous.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:57 PM   #5
wdlove
macrumors 604

I agree that she is a very heroic woman. A farmer has has to learn independence. They learn a lot of skills to survive. She had already lost one child. Her adrenaline was pumping so that allowed her to be successful at saving herself and the baby. She would make a great nurse.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 03:49 AM   #6
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
kind of puts things in perspective when you bitch about waiting 20 minutes to see a doctor, some people are 8 hours away from lifesaving care. The report I read said she did it with a steak knife, btw. I can, perhaps, imagine cutting my skin if necessary, but in this case she would have had to cut through about 8 layers of dermis and muscle (and uterus)... that she survived is a testament to human resilience.

Also kind of makes me hate that woman more that refused a C-section for cosmetic reasons, killing the baby. While there's a lot to be said for how society looks at C-section scars, it's inexcusable.

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:02 PM   #7
leftbanke7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwhannel
Also kind of makes me hate that woman more that refused a C-section for cosmetic reasons, killing the baby. While there's a lot to be said for how society looks at C-section scars, it's inexcusable.

paul
Living in Utah, this was all over the news. Granted, what she did wasn't right but I think it was done due to her being mentally challenged and loaded with Cocaine rather than her vanity. It was probably the case of the Media getting whiff of the vanity part, spreading it all over the news and then giving lack of coverage to the fact she had major psychological problems and chemical dependency.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:25 PM   #8
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

That's just amazing. As said already, the sheer fact that she was able to do that to herself AND survive is unimaginable.
eyelikeart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 01:04 AM   #9
oldschool
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeart
That's just amazing. As said already, the sheer fact that she was able to do that to herself AND survive is unimaginable.
and its amazing that the baby survived. without her cutting right through it.
oldschool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 01:39 AM   #10
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Yeah geez that incredible.

I could never do such a thing to myself, I'd probably hit my stomach and kill myself... or worse.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 02:41 PM   #11
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacman
Yeah geez that incredible.

I could never do such a thing to myself, I'd probably hit my stomach and kill myself... or worse.
I'm confident that if an emergency occurred, you could do something similar. If your adrenalin gets pumping, super human accomplishments are possible!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 03:11 PM   #12
Dros
macrumors 6502

I was impressed by the hiker that cut off his own limb to free himself from a boulder (although thought he was maybe a bit hasty). But, while I can't imagine doing that to myself, at least that is just a close your eyes and hack away type operation. This woman had to be somewhat careful and delicate to do this, which seems to be another level of dealing with pain, etc. Although if she had been trying to deliver the baby for a long time perhaps her pain receptors had all been saturated and desensitized.
Dros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 04:21 PM   #13
rueyeet
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dros
Although if she had been trying to deliver the baby for a long time perhaps her pain receptors had all been saturated and desensitized.
You beat me to it. If she was in labor trying to get that kid out for any length of time that it would have taken to make it apparent that it wasn't going to happen naturally, I'm quite sure pain had long since ceased to be the major consideration. I'm thinking "please, God, make it stop" would be more the relevant thought, and the knowledge that if something wasn't done, she'd lose the child.

Still: give that lady credit for honorary testicular (ovarian?) fortitude of platinum proportions.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCS/O d+(---) s+:+>+: !a C+$ U P L+(-) E--
W++ N- o? K- w(---) O? M+ V PS++ PE Y+ PGP-
t(--) 5++ X- R+ tv- b+ DI++ D G e++ h-- r x+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
rueyeet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:29 PM   #14
Counterfit
macrumors 601

This reminds me of the guy who circumcised himself. Except faster, and probably less thought went into this, seems like more of an emergency reaction.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:48 PM   #15
neut
macrumors 68000

just when i thought humanity had lost itself...

**** yeah lady! now that's what should happen in our most desperate hours.

what most people would have done: bitch and whine; bitch and whine... dead. ****ing people.

peace.
Uncle Bud
neut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 03:47 AM   #16
Awimoway
macrumors 65816

I'm skeptical of the details of this story. A woman spends a long time trying to give birth to a baby, C-sections herself and THEN calls the nurse to help her clean up? Riiiiiiight. I'm willing to bet the nurse was called a lot sooner and performed the C-section, but because she could get in trouble for doing a doctor's work, the mother agreed to cover for her.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:18 AM   #17
Lyle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
This reminds me of the guy who circumcised himself. Except faster, and probably less thought went into this, seems like more of an emergency reaction.
Yeah, you don't hear much about emergency circumcisions.
Lyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:03 PM   #18
oldschool
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
Yeah, you don't hear much about emergency circumcisions.
what if you are suddenly converted to judaism?
oldschool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:14 PM   #19
AppleMatt
macrumors 68000

Ages and ages ago there was this absolutely tiny woman on the news for saving her baby, it turned out that a car with it's handbrake off was rolling onto the baby's carrier, trapping it. She lifted the back of the car and kicked the carrier out of the way.

Which is a feat in itself, but when you saw her, she was tiny!

AppleMatt
Old Apr 13, 2004, 01:02 PM   #20
Bedawyn
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Bedawyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awimoway
I'm skeptical of the details of this story. A woman spends a long time trying to give birth to a baby, C-sections herself and THEN calls the nurse to help her clean up? Riiiiiiight. I'm willing to bet the nurse was called a lot sooner and performed the C-section, but because she could get in trouble for doing a doctor's work, the mother agreed to cover for her.
It's unlikely. This was in the scientific press before the mass media picked it up -- the authors of the journal article would have their careers go completely down the drain if it was found out the "facts" were fudged -- whether they had fudged them themselves or simply failed to notice the women had. Not like news journalism, where making up your "facts" gets you on the talk shows and bestseller circuit.
Bedawyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 01:21 PM   #21
Awimoway
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedawyn
It's unlikely. This was in the scientific press before the mass media picked it up -- the authors of the journal article would have their careers go completely down the drain if it was found out the "facts" were fudged -- whether they had fudged them themselves or simply failed to notice the women had. Not like news journalism, where making up your "facts" gets you on the talk shows and bestseller circuit.
Well that does lend some credence to the story, but on the surface it just doesn't make sense to me. Why—why—would you call the nearby nurse only after performing the C-section on yourself?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:25 PM   #22
Raid
macrumors 68020

Wow! This woman should hook up with the guy who cut off his arm to save himself. They would win the hard core couple of the decade in my books!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:42 PM   #23
mactastic
macrumors 68040

That's just amazing. Talk about a tough cookie. I can't even imagine having to go through with something like that. She should get some kind of award, but I suspect being alive and having a healthy baby is enough to make her happy.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 05:32 PM   #24
Bedawyn
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Bedawyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awimoway
Well that does lend some credence to the story, but on the surface it just doesn't make sense to me. Why—why—would you call the nearby nurse only after performing the C-section on yourself?
I wondered about that! Haven't been able to find out yet, though -- it's immensely frustrating that the journal article is behind a pay-for-subscription site. But since the area was so remote as to have no electricity or running water, I suspect "calling" the nurse may have meant more "fetching" the nurse than "picking up the telephone", or the nurse may simply not have been available when they first called. Also, she'd had several children before and women have delivered babies without medical professionals for millenia, so she may not have seen any need for the nurse until the problem was undeniable -- by which point I doubt she'd have wanted to risk the child's life by waiting for the nurse to arrive. Again, rural, probably no ambulances arriving within minutes, and I doubt the nurse was carrying a beeper 24 hours a day. There are lots of _possible_ explanations -- but I'd still like to hear the official one!
Bedawyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:01 PM   #25
blue&whiteman
Banned

a woman like that makes even the toughest man look like a wimp.
blue&whiteman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events