Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week some more details about the next iPhone revision continued leaking out.

First, there were spottings of new Apple device IDs found embedded within the iPhone 3.0 firmware. Silicon Alley Insider then claimed that the next iPhone would come with "much faster internet". Finally, AppleInsider said that the new iPhone would indeed have a video camera, supporting evidence of video publishing screenshots also found in iPhone 3.0.

It's not surprising that the number of leaks is increasing as Apple does have to keep their carrier partners at least somewhat informed heading into a new release. We've also continue to hear unconfirmed whispers and have specifically heard that the new iPhone with support a 7.2Mbit chipset.

Another interesting possibility is that Apple may have settled on the Marvell PXA168 ARM chip as the heart of a future device. Some unconfirmed claims point to Apple buying up supplies of this chip which is reportedly also due in the July timeframe. The Marvell PXA168 CPU was announced in January of this year and aims to provide "entry-level laptop" capabilities to consumer electronic devices.

Article Link: Next Generation iPhone: 7.2Mbit, Video Camera, More?

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I was waiting till the 129 gig storage, 50 gigawatt megapixel unlocked verizon, data tethering for free, iPhoneInvisa...

But this will do...

:apple::apple::apple:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Although there will be other improvements, I think "video recording" will somehow become the basis for this iPhone's name, just as 3G was the defining characteristic of the last one.

I don't know what they'll call it, but that's the feature they'll show on TV.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Although there will be other improvements, I think "video recording" will somehow become the basis for this iPhone's name, just as 3G was the defining characteristic of the last one.

iPhone Video!

iPhone RecordPointlessStuffandUploaditToYouTube

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan

I wouldn't think adding that feature would be worthy of the name and tv spots, I think they will drop the 3G off the name.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
For me, faster processor and more RAM are paramount. For a lot of people, it's storage and gimmicks (video recording).

If the iPhone has "n" built in for wifi (unlike b/g) then it'll be a few years until I need that so I might skip it.

HSPDA would be something I would buy - more portable internet speed.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I wouldn't think adding that feature would be worthy of the name and tv spots, I think they will drop the 3G off the name.

I think they have to pick one feature to push. That's how you get headlines. Like how Leopard was all about 'Time Machine' even though there were hundreds of other changes. Obviously a better battery and more RAM would be the best improvement for an iPhone, but that's not sexy enough to advertise.

So whatever they pick, it will be ONE big thing they talk about more than anything else. I'm just guessing, but I think video-recording will be it.

But as other posters have shown, what the actual name will be is tricky. I can't come up with anything either.

EDIT: I could also see the 'push' feature making a great ad, but the problem is that it's a software update. Any ads they pay for will be pushing hardware sales, not free software downloads.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona

I think you're right - but it would be a shame to have something called iPhone Video (or whatever) and not also have a front-facing camera for video calls.
Let's hope!!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I think "video recording" will somehow become the basis for this iPhone's name

They'll call it iShoot. The ad will feature clips from the old movie A Christmas Story: "You'll shoot your i out, kid!"

Actually, video recording would be enough to get me to upgrade to the new version, as long as the camera itself is improved as well. It'd be nice to squeeze a few more years out of my current model, but if Apple won't enable recording on my 3G iPhone then I'll probably feel compelled to ditch it.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
All I want is cut, copy, and paste!

Whaaaa? Its on its way? Ah crap! I need to find something else to bitch about. Damn it!

For the next iphone, I am pretty satisfied with the new additions to the OS Software that was my main hindrance with the phone.

On the physical side? Video recording, yes, will be nice as long as it comes with a more advanced better camera. At least 3mp please. Larger storage size definite.

Software end? Please block my IM if my phone is locked. It is annoying to see my messages blaring across the screen even though I have the phone locked. What kind of security is that? Just, at most, display "you have new text message" and allow me to get to it, not display who its from and the message. Same with voice mail. Also being able to run safari and another program at same time or the ability to save the web page and not have to reload it every time I leave the screen and come back would be nice.

I think they will still keep the 3G name around for at least one generation of the Iphone Video but then drop the 3g after it becomes standard across the board the following revision. Need to be able to distinguish with the public the changes and keep a lower price entry item/point, etc.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Well, there once was an iPod Photo and and iPod Video to set it apart from the previous generation and the smaller versions like the mini and the nano who lacked those key features.

But the first iPhone already did video, at least playback.
iPhone Classic and iPhone nano would be pretty sweet but unlikely right now.

iPhone AV (like iChat AV) would make sense since you could communicate via audio (normal phone call) and do video calls. I can already imagine Phil Shiller demoing that feature when he calls some Apple employee from iChat and the employee sends video from his iPhone. It would even be kind of practical when you're using the headset and holding the phone in front of you.

Now if only iChat would work as well as Skype (or even MSN) through routers...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I loved the few CERTAIN people who claimed the next iPhone would NEVER have video. Come on, people.

Can't wait to see what comes in the new hardware.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Software end? Please block my IM if my phone is locked. It is annoying to see my messages blaring across the screen even though I have the phone locked. What kind of security is that?

I only have my phone on autolock so i don't press the buttons by mistake.
I actually like the message preview. So how about the option of turning it off, as well as disabling the repeating alert that you have a new message until you read it.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Holding on to my original iPhone until new hardware is released. Hurry Apple! I want 3G speed - and my wife wants my old iPhone!

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
The current iPhone already has a 7.2Mbit chip, but most carriers cap it to something lower. However, the upload speed is ungodfully slow. The iPhone wouldn't be able to upload videos on any cellular network with it's current upload speed. I think that's what's likely to be upgraded in the next iPhone (from HSDPA to HSUPA or HSPA+)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
All I want is cut, copy, and paste!

Whaaaa? Its on its way? Ah crap! I need to find something else to bitch about. Damn it!

I'm going to cry about not being able to put a picture on the home screen or change the icons to some crappy scheme of my own choosing

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
The current iPhone already has a 7.2Mbit chip, but most carriers cap it to something lower. However, the upload speed is ungodfully slow. The iPhone wouldn't be able to upload videos on any cellular network with it's current upload speed. I think that's what's likely to be upgraded in the next iPhone (from HSDPA to HSUPA or HSPA+)

you sure about this ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.