Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Cycroder and VideoRecorder3g, the two main video recording apps available to jailbroken iPhones, both have pathetically low frame rates. But hey, don't take my word for it, just spend 2 minutes on YouTube to see for yourself. Including that function at the time would meant a faster processor, meaning a larger battery, meaning a larger phone.

I honestly doubt you even own an iPhone, or any Apple product for that matter, because you clearly don't understand the defining characteristic that makes them so successful. They don't lock their devices down because it gets them off or something, they do it because it lets them offer an unparalleled level of usability and service. Maybe if we were having this discussion a month before the original iPhone was released and this tactic was still untested in the mobile arena, then you might potentially have a point, but if the iPhone's monumental success has proven one thing, it's that the tired old tactic you're suggesting DOES NOT WORK. People are moving in DROVES to the iPhone because it's the first device that didn't focus on including every feature under the sun and letting the user decide every little aspect about it. PEOPLE SIMPLY DON'T WANT THAT!

I know it's fun to offer up paranoid theories of Apple intentionally crippling their device to build in obsolescence, but in todays extremely competitive mobile world that just isn't an option. If you want to create a sales successes you need to offer up the absolute best device currently possible, and you don't have the luxury of holding back when you're dealing with devices that have 1/3 the lifetime of a regular computer. Nokia, HTC, RIM, Palm, etc... are offering up new phones on a monthly basis and Apple needs to rely on their iPhone to withstand that constant barrage and still come up superior in customer's minds.

Obviously they know what they're doing, a fact that's backed up over and over again with consistently good sales figures, so suggesting a drastic change in the very fundamentals of the iPhone is totally ridiculous.

I was thinking that too but I think it's safe to say they've learned a lot from the last 2 times and probably know how to better keep it under wraps. Keep in mind we still have months for some sneaky factory worker to grab a picture with their phone so I wouldn't give up just yet. Apple has good reason to be tight lipped about this release with it coming out so close to the Pre and probably don't want to risk Palm copying any more features ;) I'm sure they want an absolute knockout to come and show the Pre what's up and keeping any surprising new features under wraps in just the way to do it.

Obviously, you don't own a iphone worth having and that is a non-jailbroken iphone. Cycorder frame rate is fantastic, the video smooth and clear. How would you know anyway? It isn't like you have a jailbroken iphone. You mean to tell me you are basing you-tube videos that are "so called' made on the iphone as evidence of your pathetic attempt to discredit the apps in question. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

The video the apps in question are no better or worse than anyother video app on any other smartphone OS out there right now. None of them willl replace your camcorder, so what is your point?

I also have flash working in the browser and all my icons are cleaned up by using categories. How is that a bad thing?

Oh SB settings gives me one swipe access from my home screen to turn on/off 3g, WiFi, turn on/off flash, etc.

They all work flawlessly. No problems at all. Apple sets standards on how they want their software to run, and apparently they want a video, recording app that sets a better standard than the current iphone 3G allows.

Don't you think that they already have tried a video recording app out already, to see how the 3G iphone can run such a app, of coarse they did.

That does not mean that it is a poor maching in video recording, It only means that it does not live up to Apple's standards. Simple as that.

utahnguy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2009
Utah
Simmer down now...

Obviously, you don't own a iphone worth having and that is a non-jailbroken iphone. Cycorder frame rate is fantastic, the video smooth and clear. How would you know anyway? It isn't like you have a jailbroken iphone. You mean to tell me you are basing you-tube videos that are "so called' made on the iphone as evidence of your pathetic attempt to discredit the apps in question. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

The video the apps in question are no better or worse than anyother video app on any other smartphone OS out there right now. None of them willl replace your camcorder, so what is your point?

I also have flash working in the browser and all my icons are cleaned up by using categories. How is that a bad thing?

Oh SB settings gives me one swipe access from my home screen to turn on/off 3g, WiFi, turn on/off flash, etc.

They all work flawlessly. No problems at all. Apple sets standards on how they want their software to run, and apparently they want a video, recording app that sets a better standard than the current iphone 3G allows.

I don't you think that they already have tried a video recording app out already, to see how the 3G iphone can run such a app, of coarse they did.

That does not mean that it is a poor maching in video recording, It only means that it does not live up to Apple's standards. Simple as that.

I don't own an iPhone worth having??? That doesn't even make sense.. Yeah I have that cheaper version they sell, you know the one that isn't exactly the same as every other iPhone ever created? Yeah that one.

Yes I have tried jailbreaking one of my *two* iPhones, and YouTube has several PERFECT examples of the experience I had. I suggested that readers check it out for themselves because that's just a TAD more accurate than listening to some random message board poster on the internet - whether it be you OR me.

And no friend, you DON'T have full, legit Flash running in your browser. NO PHONE, from ANY manufacturer, is capable of running regular Flash as it exists today. That software hasn't even been written yet so if somehow I'm wrong, which I'm not, you better let Adobe know that you got a hold of something they've been struggling to make for years. While you're at it, maybe you can grab an iPhone v3 the next time you fire up the ol' time machine and post an unboxing - we'd all love to see it ;)

If you're honestly trying to get into an argument as to whether a jailbroken iPhone trumps a stock version, I highly suggest you scroll to the top of this page and read the part that says "Next Generation iPhone: 7.2Mbit, Video Camera, More?" because that's what we're all talking about here. I recommend finding a thread with people that want to engage in that discussion.

I'll leave you with one thought though. App store. Ability to immediately install software updates (with no chance of bricking your phone). 25,000+ apps. Nuff said.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
OS 3.0 and this new hardware might just be the iPhone generation that finally suckers me in.

Look forward to seeing what actually materialises. Should be good.

Wifiguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
Marvell misconceptions

Hmm. The Marvell PXA168 is a nice SoC certainly, however it does have some potential shortcomings:

* It's based upon the Intel XScale, which itself was based upon Digital's StrongARM ARM implementation. As an architecture license (not a core license) this meant that StrongARM was brilliant and fast ... 10 years ago. It's an ARMv5 architecture, whereas ARM cores are now ARMv7 (Cortex A8, etc) and get higher performance per clock. Of course this one is clocked at 1.2GHz.

* The on-board graphics are an unknown. I can see that there is video decode acceleration, but is the 3D good enough to match and exceed the PowerVR MBX in the iPhone?

The Freescale iMX515 SoC, and the Qualcomm Snapdragon, both look like more suitable solutions for a media pad/tablet/netbook system.

It's a misconception that the PXA168 is based off of Intel's Xscale oOld architecture This chip is based off of it's Sheeva Technology. Which is a next generation Feroceon for Marvell. These are 2 different architectures. Marvell is building some serious screamers with Sheeva and they can build on any Arm core they please. Just don't be surprised to see Marvell out engineer the incumbents.

yucl

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Thank you. I was going to see if anyone else realized why this rumor was impossible, and you basically got it. Right now, the iphone is using an ARM 11 cpu, which means it is using the ARMv6 instruction set. The Marvell PXA168 runs on an older instruction set than the current iphone chip. While all ARM instruction sets are (mostly) backwards compatible, forwards compatibility is a completely different story. No matter how fast the PXA168 is, Apple simply cannot go to an older instruction set and expect things to work. It would require rewriting a lot of software, and even then I'm not sure if they could prevent 25,000 apps from breaking. Even if they could, there is no reason to go through all that work when there are literally dozens of pefectly good ARMv6 and ARMv7 solutions available.

According to Marvell's website, the Sheeva processor core is ARMv6 and ARMv7 compatible.

(from Marvell's CPU history page)
"2008
Marvell proudly launched Sheeva, an internally developed CPU technology. The first implementation of Sheeva set a new standard for embedded CPU performance. One of the most advanced CPUs in the world, the superscalar, dual issue, out-of-order execution Sheeva CPU runs at over 1 GHz. It contains advanced three-level branch prediction, a variable stage pipeline, and an integrated memory controller, providing unmatched high-end performance and low-power requirements. Compliant with the Cortex A8, Sheeva also supports both the ARMv6 and ARMv7 instruction sets, making it the world's first dual ARM ISA compatible CPU."

Link: http://www.marvell.com/technologies/cpu_history/cpu_history.jsp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.