Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I just placed my order, but I have one question while constantly refreshing my order history page to see if it has shipped yet.

Do I need a cover?

I am generally one who forgoes the covers on most things. I don't have one for my iPhone, only have an invisible shield on one of my iPods, sometimes carry my MacBook without its bag, but I thought I'd see what you guys and gals had to say. Can I get by without a cover, or should I invest in one?

Anyone have a well designed cover? From the ones I've seen, I'm most fond of the ones from Waterfield. My laptop bag is from STM, and my camera bag is from Crumpler, so that is kind of my taste. Let me know if you have or have seen something in that style. Thanks!

(Mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate location. I figured this was best; you may not.)

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I would definitely get one. I have the Kindle 1 and got a nice cover from M-Edge. The cover it came with was kind of cheap and I don't think the Kindle 2 comes with a cover at all. I've dropped it a couple of times and the case protected it. Also makes it easier to carry without getting smudges on the screen and you can attach a reading light to the cover when you need it.

M-edge

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Yes, you need a cover (IMO).

I went with the Belkin Neoprene Sleeve Case. My co-worker had one and was pretty happy with it, and that was one of the main reasons (although the Belkin case is cheap too, which didn't hurt).

If I ever decide that I want a case that actually holds the Kindle while I read it, I think I'll probably go with the Patagonia case (which is currently out of stock).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmm, I had not really considered that it didn't come with a case. I ordered mine and I think it just arrived today (although it may be at the post office, and god knows when I'll be able to go and get it from there...).

Looking online, there are some pretty ones, although they seem rather bulky. I kind of like the Austen cover, although it might be more fun to make such a thing myself...

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I thought the Kindle 2 came with a leather case? :confused:

Also, when is that thing going to come to Canada. :(

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I thought the Kindle 2 came with a leather case? :confused:

No, it doesn't... as I can confirm, because... I got mine!!! :D (It was left with the office manager instead of being carted back to the post office, for once).

It only comes with a charging / docking cable (the docking aspect I think is only if you want to transfer files onto it manually) and a quickstart guide. No case or cover.

It is, however, quite pretty. I'm rather taken with it so far. :) And hopefully it does come to Canada soon. :(

Back on topic, however, it does look like it really needs at least a basic sleeve before being put in a briefcase, etc -- it feels as if it would readily get marred were this step not taken. Which makes it disappointing that it did not come with even a simple neoprene one as the netbooks do.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Thank you all for your opinions. Are you guys typically people who use cases for your stuff, or are you like me and leave most of your electronics naked?

mkrishnan, if you decide on a case, lemme know what you choose to go with.

Everyone else is still welcome to weigh in. Amazon is taking their sweet time with the Super Saver shipping, so I've got awhile apparently. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thank you all for your opinions. Are you guys typically people who use cases for your stuff, or are you like me and leave most of your electronics naked?

I use sleeves for my notebooks if I'm carrying them around in bags that don't have inbuilt sleeves. I leave cell-phones and iPods and things, including my iPhone, uncovered most of the time (I used iSkins for my first iPod long ago but stopped doing that).

I probably will get a case and would definitely let you know which. For the time being I take the low route of temporary solution by using part of an old mailer (the kind that has a bubble wrap layer on the inside) -- I found one the same width as the Kindle's length and cut it to fit. It's perfectly workable, and inside my designer briefcase, not too visible. But only temporary. ;)

I too would be really interested in other sleeve choices people make.

P.S. Mine was ordered on 03/27, shipped on 03/30, and arrived yesterday (04/07) so I very much sympathize... :eek:

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I carry my MacBook around in your basic messenger bag, but I don't have a case for my iPhone because I've never felt like it needed it. As much as I love the Kindle, it feels a little flimsy to me, like something that could be easily cracked if it weren't kept in a case, so there you go.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I carry my MacBook around in your basic messenger bag, but I don't have a case for my iPhone because I've never felt like it needed it. As much as I love the Kindle, it feels a little flimsy to me, like something that could be easily cracked if it weren't kept in a case, so there you go.

Thanks, Lyle. I appreciate the suggestion for a case, and especially this post. Some people put all of their electronics in cases and are scared of it ever being used outside of the case. It is nice to know that even those who forgo cases with some electronics, like yourself and mkrishnan, still think a case is necessary.

More thoughts, people! :)

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I've had my Kindle 2 for a week, and I'm very happy with the leather book-like cover that Amazon sells ($30). Sturdy and secure with a soft felt interior. Makes holding the Kindle much more like holding an actual book. You can even fold the front cover all the way back. Also great for clipping a light on.

It obviously doesn't offer much protection if you drop the Kindle, but if you just want to carry your Kindle in your briefcase or computer bag, it's a good solution.

All that said, I love the Waterfield Kindle 2 SleeveCase. I'll probably end up ordering one in the next day or so. A little extra protection would be good for traveling.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 87

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I also have the Amazon Kindle2 cover but I also have a $15 skin covering my Kindle. I love skins.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    592.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 78

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
The Kindle2 cover is a great deal better design than the Kindle1 cover. It has hindges that keep the ebook in place. It will not fall out.

Attachments

• IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 81

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the pics, Flowbee and pagansoul. They are much appreciated. Flowbee, if you happen to purchase the case from Waterfield, I'd appreciate pics on that, too. Everyone else is welcome to post pics of the cases/covers that they have as well.

(Side note: I used to love tracking packages on the internet. Now, it sucks. My Kindle left Kentucky two days ago, and Amazon's site has no update after letting me know it shipped, and USPS's site can't even find the package. This is one of the things that has gotten worse over time.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thanks for posting the pictures of the skins also... I hadn't really thought about that. That might actually be perfect also for avoiding any wearing down / shining of the plastic (like on keyboards).

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
My Waterfield Kindle 2 SleeveCase arrived today. I ordered it Saturday, it shipped on Monday and was here today (Tuesday).

I ordered the large version of the case, since it's made to accommodate the Kindle with the Amazon Kindle cover. It fits perfectly, though maybe a tad roomier than I had expected, which isn't a bad thing. I thought I'd have to pull the little loop at the bottom of the case to extract the Kindle, but the Kindle w/cover slides in and out easily. It seems to be very sturdy and well-made with a soft padded interior. (The smaller version of the case is made to carry a naked Kindle and includes a plastic protector sewn in to protect the kindle screen.)

There's a pocket on the back of the case which holds the charger and usb cable nicely.

Here's the website: http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindle/kindlecase.htm

Here are some quick iPhone snaps. Let me know if you have questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    618.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    593.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    570.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    673 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    611.3 KB · Views: 81

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the pics, Flowbee. I couldn't find many of the waterfield sleeve on Flickr, so it's good to see some real world pics of that case. I appreciate it.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
After having my Kindle for about a month, and using it without a case or sleeve, I've decided that, in most cases, I really don't need one. So, for the times that I do think one would be good (on trips where it is packed away, when I need to carry it and some other stuff, just for fun, etc.), I figured I could go a little bit crazy and order something fun.

I emailed Katie at Barry's Farm and asked if she would make me a Fleece Monster custom sized for my Kindle. She was wonderful to deal with and it took right at a week for her to make the sleeve and for it to end up in my mailbox. I love it!

The only thing I would change would be to use .25" foam instead of the .5" that is used. Right now, the case is just over an inch thick with the Kindle inside. I didn't expect her to go out and buy a huge amount of foam just for a one off project, though. As it is, the case is wonderful anyway. If anyone is looking for something off the beaten path, Barry's Farm comes highly recommended.

(And for anyone considering a Kindle, but stuck on the fence– just go for it. It is totally worth it. My reading has increased a bunch since getting mine. I love it.)

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 70

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have the Kindle 2 leather cover that amazon sells and I couldnt imagine not having it.

It hooks into the side of the Kindle so nothing needs to be strapped or "fitted" in. Its a very nice cover and adds a touch of elegance to the product. I highly recommend it.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
I had to resurrect this. Now that the kindle is available in Canada, does anyone prefer the DX over the 2? And does anyone know if or when the DX will be available in Canada?

tobefirst: I LOVE the monster bag. That is just awesome and so unique. I'm gonna hafta get one designed and made too. What was the cost, if you don't mind my asking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.