Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unclej78

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2002
Georgia
I didn't want to spend $40 bucks for a laptop holder for my desk. I picked this up at Walmart for $9. Works great, brings the screen up to a more usable position. It now gets better airport reception. I was getting one-two bars and would fade out and I would have to move the powerbook back to get the signal again. I can feel the heat being dissipated, It can breath easier now.

Attachments

• phonemanager.jpg
    phonemanager.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 260
  • lo-DCP_0636.jpg
    lo-DCP_0636.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 323
  • lo-DCP_0637.jpg
    lo-DCP_0637.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 276

billwest9999

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2004
My solution costs 50 cents. I put 2 erasers on the bottom of the pb (top left and right hand corner). If you want more stability, buy a few more erasers and line them up at the top.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
Unclej78 said:
I didn't want to spend $40 bucks for a laptop holder for my desk. I picked this up at Walmart for $9. Works great, brings the screen up to a more usable position. It now gets better airport reception. I was getting one-two bars and would fade out and I would have to move the powerbook back to get the signal again. I can feel the heat being dissipated, It can breath easier now.

Sweet!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
thecow said:
Just use an old book. It's cheaper.

that's actually what i'm doing. i have a copy of ovid's metamorphoses propping up my ibook (more for angle than heat, though. hacked for spanning, and the other monitor takes up most of my desk. hard to keep things arranged properly).

good solution you found there, though. it's all about the innovation.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
mine is even cheaper then all of you i am using those red cups the 16 oz. party cups

first i used 4 but 3 is good enough 2 up front on the sides one in the back central keeps it nice and kool plus i have a fan on it 24/7 now since its summer and its freak-en hot without A/C

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Blah blah...

My solution is better, cheaper...blahblahblah. Great idea with the walmart phone holder. It's still better, more stable and slightly more elegant than an old book, erasers or 16 oz cups....
Thanks for sharing!

Unclej78

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2002
Georgia
Thanks, been using it for about a week now. Major improvement. I don't think I would trust me investment with erasers and party cups.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
thats a great idea, i almost regret getting the podium stand for $40, but i cant say that i do because it has the swivel function which is very useful for me, but thanks for sharing!! its a kick ass solution

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
PlaceofDis said:
thats a great idea, i almost regret getting the podium stand for $40, but i cant say that i do because it has the swivel function which is very useful for me, but thanks for sharing!! its a kick ass solution
I have that stand, and the swivel is nifty, but it's a much better cooling solution for me, rather than the alternative, which would be flat on a desk.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
My solution was the cheapest. I went to the store, picked up the stand, and walked right ouf of the store. Beat that!!!

j/k

stoid

macrumors 601
aswitcher said:
Its kinds cool ( ;) ) but I thought that this one was pretty fine as well and portable.

Tornado Chill Pad from Targus

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U

Well, the iBreeze has the pass through USB port so you aren't burning off a USB port, but if you don't need that port, this one does seem more portable.

I love the description:
has non-skid rubber domes to prevent any slippage of the notebook

"slippage of the notebook"

Great stuff! :D

phampton81

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
I can't seem to find it on their website, is that where you got it? I am thinking this would work nicely for me. Thanks

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I'm thinking of getting an iLap. A bit expensive, but you can use it as a desktop holder and a lap holder. Might be worth it.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
I like the Wal*Mart phone holder idea; it does have sort of an elegant look to it.

My concern: it appears to be metal. Posters here have talked about the finish of the PowerBook as being a touch fragile (I don't have one myself, yet). Could one use the phone holder without worry of PowerBook finish scratches?

I guess one could put some stick-on rubber feet on the phone holder easily enough if this were an issue.

Crikey

Unclej78

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2002
Georgia
It is metal but its also painted. I've moved it several times and never felt that scratching would be an issue. It is raised on each side, so theoretically you could add a strip of rubber to the phone rack itself to protect it even more.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
How do you type with the PB elevated so high up? I don't know about you guys, but my hands are attached to ends of my arms, not my shoulders. A better solution is the RoadTools Pivot 360. Cost: $20. Small, thin and fits easily into a bag.

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
IJ Reilly said:
How do you type with the PB elevated so high up? I don't know about you guys, but my hands are attached to ends of my arms, not my shoulders. A better solution is the RoadTools Pivot 360. Cost: $20. Small, thin and fits easily into a bag.

we use external keyboards. At-least I do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.