Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:38 AM   #1
jamaur99
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Fax on Mac Pro

I want to be able to fax on my Mac Pro. What are my options? I obviously don't have an internal modem. Here is my system info:
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
2GB (2x1GB)
2xATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB

Thanks guys...Mike
jamaur99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Apple makes a USB modem, or try an online service such as efax.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:35 AM   #3
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
For receiving faxes, efax is free. You sign up, they assign you a number and they e-mail any faxes you receive. They charge if you want to be able to send faxes (don't know how much). I find I rarely need to fax something (can almost always use e-mail), so having receive-only capability works for me.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:37 AM   #4
fluidedge
macrumors 65816
 
fluidedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
I honestly can't rememebr the last time i even saw a fax machine let alone used one. Who are you sending a fax to? 1996?
fluidedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:47 PM   #5
mcpryon2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidedge View Post
I honestly can't rememebr the last time i even saw a fax machine let alone used one. Who are you sending a fax to? 1996?
Is that you, Michael Scott?
__________________
http://www.photontoaster.com
mcpryon2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:07 AM   #6
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816
 
SmurfBoxMasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)
 
Contrary to what you might think, there are still millions of fax machines in use today by just about as many businesses.......

even though they are an ancient technology, and computers are virtually everywhere, there are still alot of folks who simply are too lazy or too resistant to change to switch to other ways of doing things.....
__________________
Please don't judge me...I was created to be AWESOME, not perfect
SmurfBoxMasta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
sigmadog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA - Upper Left
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfBoxMasta View Post
Contrary to what you might think, there are still millions of fax machines in use today by just about as many businesses.......

even though they are an ancient technology, and computers are virtually everywhere, there are still alot of folks who simply are too lazy or too resistant to change to switch to other ways of doing things.....
Yup. I still have clients that fax me proofs instead of marked up PDF's. It drives me up the wall, but they just don't like learning new technology, so I deal with it.
__________________
My Mac is just a tool. People don't look at my art and congratulate me for having a great computer.
sigmadog.com
sigmadog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Tesselator
macrumors 601
 
Tesselator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
Yup. I still have clients that fax me proofs instead of marked up PDF's. It drives me up the wall, but they just don't like learning new technology, so I deal with it.
Same here. Storyboard by fax, proofreading jobs by fax, little notes about schedules, meetings, order changes, etc. When I'm busy I get 5 or 6 faxes a week average. I can send/receive faxes in color or monochrome directly from my Mac or I can do it from the printer. About $300 will get you one of these:

Thumb resize.

And it's a decent 8x10 photo printer too. As good as any 1-Hour photomatt for sure. Plus a copy machine and scanner too.
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:31 PM   #9
The Mad Hatter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
Same here. Storyboard by fax, proofreading jobs by fax, little notes about schedules, meetings, order changes, etc. When I'm busy I get 5 or 6 faxes a week average. I can send/receive faxes in color or monochrome directly from my Mac or I can do it from the printer. About $300 will get you one of these:

Thumb resize.

And it's a decent 8x10 photo printer too. As good as any 1-Hour photomatt for sure. Plus a copy machine and scanner too.
Good choice Tesselator

I have that same model in my office.

...but you forgot to mention, that it also prints on printable CD/DVDs (will a little modification.)
The Mad Hatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:45 PM   #10
mcpryon2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
Same here. Storyboard by fax, proofreading jobs by fax, little notes about schedules, meetings, order changes, etc. When I'm busy I get 5 or 6 faxes a week average. I can send/receive faxes in color or monochrome directly from my Mac or I can do it from the printer. About $300 will get you one of these:

Thumb resize.

And it's a decent 8x10 photo printer too. As good as any 1-Hour photomatt for sure. Plus a copy machine and scanner too.

I know somebody who has that model. Nice little unit. (Cue the "Is that what she said?" comments.)
__________________
http://www.photontoaster.com
mcpryon2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:53 PM   #11
armoguy94
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpryon2 View Post
Nice little unit. (Cue the "Is that what she said?" comments.)
Except for the fact that it's a huge consumer printer.
armoguy94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:19 PM   #12
gouvernor
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Another Option

I use www.faxzero.com for my fax purposes. You can send for free, but only a few pages. I pay less than two dollars for the premium service. I just use my scanner and make PDFs to attach, but you do have the option of .doc files or just adding text. I've never had the need to receive though. I do own an HP all in one, but I don't have a regular phone line to use it.

Leo
gouvernor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Tesselator
macrumors 601
 
Tesselator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
...but you forgot to mention, that it also prints on printable CD/DVDs (will a little modification.)
Oh yeah... But it doesn't need any modifications that I know of. Just insert the CD/DVD and print. I was using that feature quite a lot for awhile. I haven't in a long time tho.
It's fun.
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:17 PM   #14
The Mad Hatter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
Oh yeah... But it doesn't need any modifications that I know of. Just insert the CD/DVD and print. I was using that feature quite a lot for awhile. I haven't in a long time tho.
That's right, I forgot mods were only needed on the US version (since Epson supposedly has the monopoly on the US CD/DVD printing market.)

Such as life.

Great unit though... but then again, I love all my Canon printers.
The Mad Hatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Tesselator
macrumors 601
 
Tesselator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Really? Wow, that kinda sucks huh?!?! Figures tho...
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:09 PM   #16
Dr.Pants
macrumors 65816
 
Dr.Pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
We're not violating any DRMs, there, are we Tesselator?
Dr.Pants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:13 PM   #17
Tesselator
macrumors 601
 
Tesselator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Pants View Post
We're not violating any DRMs, there, are we Tesselator?
DRM? DRum Machine? Hack no, wouldn't think of it.

I'm always nice to my drum machine!
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fax using Macs? PW168 Mac Peripherals 18 Dec 19, 2013 08:58 AM
Fax app? riw7124 iPod 1 May 11, 2013 02:43 PM
Fax purchase form fSHAD App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng 4 Oct 30, 2012 06:53 AM
rMBP and Fax Modem mBox MacBook Pro 0 Jul 12, 2012 11:24 AM
Fax Software In Utopia Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jun 18, 2012 10:21 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC