Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Wall Street Journal Application Comes to iPhone

CNET briefly reviews WSJ - The Wall Street Journal [App Store, Free], which provides free access to The Wall Street Journal from the iPhone and iPod touch. While standalone applications created by newspapers are becoming increasingly common, the release of a free app for The Wall Street Journal is notable for the fact that the newspaper's subscribers typically pay substantial fees for access to its online content.

In its review, CNET draws comparisons to NYTimes [App Store, Free], a competing app released by The New York Times last August and significantly updated to version 2.0 just last month.

Quote:
For one thing, the Journal app seems to load much faster than the notoriously pokey Times, and it sports prominent buttons for Video and WSJ Radio.

The latter consists of a two-minute podcast that starts streaming immediately when you tap through. But it lacks a time stamp, so there's no way to know without listening if it's any newer than the last podcast you played.

As for the videos: they flat-out refused to play, though we'll cut the app some slack on its first day; no doubt looky-loos have stampeded the Journal's servers.
Aside from a couple of kinks, CNET seems to think that WSJ - The Wall Street Journal is a worthy release, with the ability to customize the application's toolbar and the ability to save or e-mail articles enhancing the free access to the newspaper's typically-paid online content.

Article Link: Wall Street Journal Application Comes to iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Hawk.
macrumors member

This was long overdue - will be downloading immediately
Hawk. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Resist
macrumors 68030

The ads ruin it though.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4
pugple
macrumors member

It's telling me I need to connect my phone to iTunes before it will install? Why? (On WiFi)
pugple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:38 AM   #5
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
Possibly free content now, but maybe subscriptions will be required to access some content when iPhone OS 3.0 arrives...
johnnyjibbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:20 PM   #6
macneurotic
macrumors newbie

This app is hot! As hot as a news application can be. It's better than my previous favorite, the AP news app which still has a place on my phone and does local news too.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:59 AM   #7
DEVILMAYCRY99
Banned

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing this good news about application!!
DEVILMAYCRY99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 11:17 AM   #8
tchaves
macrumors newbie

I really wanted to like the NY Times app, but it was the most crash-prone app I have ever downloaded. Hopefully WSJ will work better, I'm excited about it.
tchaves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 12:56 AM   #9
ZDDP1273
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaves View Post
I really wanted to like the NY Times app, but it was the most crash-prone app I have ever downloaded. Hopefully WSJ will work better, I'm excited about it.
I downloaded the updated NY Times app and it hasn't crashed on me yet. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should give it a try. I will definitely download the WSJ app and see how it works.

Edit: I checked it out. I'm still more used to using the NY Times app so I'm still going to stick with it.

Last edited by ZDDP1273; May 18, 2009 at 11:17 PM.
ZDDP1273 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 01:14 PM   #10
patrickdunn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjibbs View Post
Possibly free content now, but maybe subscriptions will be required to access some content when iPhone OS 3.0 arrives...
Blackberries have offered this free for years now. I doubt they would add on subscriptions now.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion