Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
A proprietary (in all but name) Mini Display Port welded onto a graphics card that requires either the purchase of an apple display or an expensive adaptor to work!

I'd love to have heard the nVidia and ATi response to that. They must be loving it. Selling useless cards to apple that people will throw away and buy another card from them at full price. Nice!

seriously - ROTFLMFAO!

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
A proprietary (in all but name) Mini Display Port welded onto a graphics card that requires either the purchase of an apple display or an expensive adaptor to work!

I'd love to have heard the nVidia and ATi response to that. They must be loving it. Selling useless cards to apple that people will throw away and buy another card from them at full price. Nice!

seriously - ROTFLMFAO!

It's already being adopted as a new display connection standard.

Adapters will only be necessary for a finite amount of time till monitors come with it as standard.

It's the same as removing SCSI and ADB ports in favour of firewire and USB. People complained about that at the time but look at it now.

asnozz

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2006
London and Kuala Lumpur
It's already being adopted as a new display connection standard.

Adapters will only be necessary for a finite amount of time till monitors come with it as standard.

It's the same as removing SCSI and ADB ports in favour of firewire and USB. People complained about that at the time but look at it now.

I think that is a very optimistic view

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
But isn't it putting the cart before the horse?

Shouldn't Apple wait until monitors come with the port (as well as DVI) then provide for them?

This still isn't a well recognised standard by any means.

Wouldn't apple have been better including a HDMI port instead?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Display Port is new "standard"

MDP is Apple's bastardization of it.

DVI was fine...we are just being "force upgraded"...AGAIN.

Worked GREAT with ADC !!!! (Hey, Apple is still creating demand for $100 adapters to make their 5 year old displays work with their new machines...brilliant !!!)

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
As we have MDP FORCED down our throats, Apple pretends FW400 never existed...one of their few innovations that they should REALLY be proud of yet treated like a Pedophile Uncle.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think they've just approached it all wrong.

DisplayPort and possibly Mini DisplayPort will become the standard just as DVI took over.

Shipping computers with ONLY DisplayPort (and Mini) and no adapters(!) when there's hardly anything out there to connect them too is just stupidity, and more importantly Apple's continued arrogance.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Uhh :confused:
I don't understand the big deal, just get the adapter - what's wrong with that?! I must be confused.

Yes i'm afraid you are. Apple in pushing a new port should properly support it by providing the adaptor gratis with a new mac pro.

Users shouldn't have to purchace anything extra to make something forced upon them work.

"but it's only $100" you say? - There's a recession on you know! :p

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
DisplayPort is understandable. Mini DisplayPort is useless crap.

DisplayPort is already a rather diminutive connector, there was no reason to do a smaller version on any machine except the MacBook Air, and anyone buying the Air knows they're buying a compromised machine and should be ready to accept using an adapter anyway.

Furthermore, in typical Apple fashion, they didn't even enable the audio in the port.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
After 6 months you still only have the option of one monitor. It can hardly be called a new display connection standard until there is a wider choice.

Two lines of monitors actually.

And its part of the standard, that doesn't mean it has flooded the market yet, but its still part of the standard.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
After 6 months you still only have the option of one monitor. It can hardly be called a new display connection standard until there is a wider choice.

The Dell 3008WFP 30-inch (76 cm), released in January 2008 was the first monitor to support DisplayPort.

The Dell 2408WFP 24-inch (61 cm), which followed in April 2008

Apple's LED Cinema Display

HP's LP2275w, LP2475w, and LP2480zx monitors also support DisplayPort.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Well, it is ratified in the DisplayPort 1.2 specifications by VESA.

Apple have always been forward thinking when it comes replacing old connectors and hardware.

Just look at the floppy etc. This is the way of technology.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Apple have always been forward thinking when it comes replacing old connectors and hardware.

Not to mention that someones gotta take the first leap or else everyone stagnates. Thats one thing I really love about apple, they aren't afraid to forge ahead rather than just get comfortable with the status quo.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The Dell 3008WFP 30-inch (76 cm), released in January 2008 was the first monitor to support DisplayPort.

The Dell 2408WFP 24-inch (61 cm), which followed in April 2008

Apple's LED Cinema Display

HP's LP2275w, LP2475w, and LP2480zx monitors also support DisplayPort.

The Display Port on the Dell and HP monitors is not the same as Apple's Mini Display Port on the 24" LCD ACD.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.

Not to mention that someones gotta take the first leap or else everyone stagnates. Thats one thing I really love about apple, they aren't afraid to forge ahead rather than just get comfortable with the status quo.

Apple was ahead of the curve with USB and 802.11.

Apple was WAY behind the curve with:

USB 2.0
SATA
CD-R and CD-RW
DVD
DVD±R and DVD±RW

Still waiting on Blu-Ray, too.

Apple pushes ahead some technologies when it suits them. To say they're always forward thinking or forging ahead is not something I'd agree with.

Outsider

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
North Carolina
I predict Apple will dump MDP for full blown DP. I only have to look at what happened with ADC. ADC was a DVI derivative that piggybacked a bunch of other signals like USB and power. It was nice and handy. Buy it was Apple specific. No other monitors supported it and Apple eventually adopted DVI on all their desktops and many laptops.

I think by the end of the year MDP will be supplanted with DP, and I already think that is in the process. MDP will be a laptop only connector. I don't even think that that is necessary, DP is a small port, much smaller than DVI and only a little bigger than a USB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.