Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
It's already being adopted as a new display connection standard.

Adapters will only be necessary for a finite amount of time till monitors come with it as standard.

It's the same as removing SCSI and ADB ports in favour of firewire and USB. People complained about that at the time but look at it now.

Hey hey hey, I like my usb and firewire as much as the next guy, but what they hell were they thinking? No SCSI? OMG! Now how am i suppose to use this 25 year old printer and 24mb hard drive without a scsi port!!!!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So put it on the MacBook Air and use Not-Retarded DisplayPort on everything else. People know they're buying a compromised joke of a laptop when they buy the Air, so let them use an adapter. Don't punish everyone else with a stupid connector when they want to buy a reasonable computer.

Yes its such a punishment to choose to buy a computer knowing what it has :rolleyes:

What is it about streamlining and unifying product lines that is hard to grasp?:confused:

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Yes its such a punishment to choose to buy a computer knowing what it has :rolleyes:

What is it about streamlining and unifying product lines that is hard to grasp?:confused:

When you can't reliably use a professional display with a professional computer? Yeah, that's punishment.

Streamlining is one thing. Making everything else suck as hard as a crap product is another thing entirely.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Brace yourselves for DiiVA... How long do you think before Apple jumps on this band-wagon? I'm surprised they're not one of the initial backers! :rolleyes:

Diiva_675.jpg

DiiVA v1.0 [Digital Interactive Interface for Video & Audio] is a new connecting interface intended to replace not just HDMI, but Ethernet, USB, DVI, DisplayPort and reduce the number of communication cables to only two: power and DiiVA.

This standard is backed by LG, Panasonic, Samsung and the Chinese government. In short, CE companies are increasingly growing tired of HDMI and all the limitations of the standard [not to mention royalties], and with the upcoming "beyond HD" 4K resolution TVs [3840x2160 or 4096x2160 e.g. 2160p], large players in the industry feel the time has come to wave good bye to Silicon Image royalties and throw out HDMI altogether. Replacing a standard is nothing short of impressive and it is hard to believe that an industry known for its incompatibilities [remember connecting Sony VCR to Pioneer CRT TV? Those were the days of "fun"] managed to sit behind one table and negotiate a single, royalty-free standard that could end up in unifying computing and consumer electronic industry in a single sweep.

According to the official FAQ, DiiVA enables transport of uncompressed video, multi-channel audio, USB, Ethernet, commands [TV control other devices on DiiVA network], power [just like Power over Ethernet, 5W total] and unfortunately broken-for-good content protection. The maximum cable length is currently set at 25 meters between two points. By using a planned repeater device [powered by the DiiVA cable itself], you can increase this to 50 meters. You can download the DiiVA FAQ on this page.

Link: http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...-kill-hdmi2c-displayport2c-dvi2c-and-usb.aspx

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
"...and the Chinese government."

Oh great, the one-child policy, and dissident forced organ donation via a cable connection. :rolleyes:

:D

dnadrifter

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
I apologize for the newbie question but I assume if I am using a 1200x1600 dpi monitor I could use the cheap $30 one from Apple (see below) or the cheap monoprice one.

This would leave the dual dvi for a larger monitor as well. Thus the existing graphics card on the new mac pros, in addition to a $15-30 adapter, could run one small and one large monitor at the same time.....is this correct?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MzE3ODcyMA#overview

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.