Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac cites their "favorite Apple source" who claims that Apple will be delivering minor updates for MacBooks and MacBook Pros at WWDC. The source speculates that this could involve 3G or speed bumps or battery changes, but this is entirely speculative. Also expected are updates to Apple's Pro Apps including Final Cut Pro, Aperture, Logic, and Shake.

Such updates at WWDC would be somewhat uncharacteristic for Apple who has not historically focused on these products during the developer's conference. Looking back at previous WWDCs, Apple has focused on iPhone, Mac OS X and Mac Pros/PowerMacs at the annual event.

WWDC 2009 takes place in San Francisco between June 8th and 12th.

Article Link: MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and Pro Apps to See Updates at WWDC?

colonels1020

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
3G in the laptops? Either make it free or have a version without it. I do NOT want to be paying a monthly data fee for my laptop. I'm already paying enough as it is for just my phone.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Really looking forward to the Pro Apps update.

The Macbooks and Macbook Pro's would only see an announcement at an event if there is something new to consider, which could be the on board 3g. Otherwise, they were just redesigned, so mentioning them at WWDC seems out of place.

Prometheus2000

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
3G? Finally! :)

Would be great to have a UMTS Modem build in to pop in a prepaid data sim card. And then get rid of the need to dial-up, make it switch between networks like the iPhone...

Internet, always there, no matter what :)

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Come June it will be about the time an MB/MBP update is expected, so I guess that's why the idea of that comes up, but isn't this update supposed to be the less exciting one before core i7 towards year end? Maybe it will just be a quiet one a couple of weeks before the conference.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Would be great to have a UMTS Modem build in to pop in a prepaid data sim card. And then get rid of the need to dial-up, make it switch between networks like the iPhone...

Are you serious? 3G in an Apple notebook? Cool... but what would the monthly fee be for that? --Probably would make me uninterested.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Seems quite a wait. I would have thought that updates would have occrred before then. But we'll see. Sorry to flumux anyone's hopes but I can't imagine much change beyond the normal minor updates on processors etc, as the last revision was a major revision in terms of form factor and features for both lines.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD

The current Macbook's and MBP's can already do that. Hint: tether using Bluetooth. The best part: the phone doesn't even have to leave my pocket. :D

Spotless

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
I would love an update to FCP.

The suite really needs a new approach to the management of settings.
I work in film tech support and you wouldn't believe the amount of peeps who are utterly nonplussed by the audio/video settings etc.
Not surprising when one remembers there are up to THREE different places to modify some settings!
Also we need Apple-built break out boxes a la Avid. I have used and supported Black Magic and AJA based systems and they don't compare to Avid systems for simplicity.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Having 3G built in makes a lot of sense. If they are clever, they will just provide the hardware, without a contract. If you want to get a sim card on any contract, just pop it into your MacBook and enjoy mobile broadband without a silly USB adapter, remember the days when that was the only way to get wifi?!

pnr

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
I think MB and MBP need a slight improvement like standard memory 4GB, hard disk capacity increase, graphics card upgrade and option for matte screen.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
3G? Oh my - will there be a memory card reader and a TV tuner as well? :rolleyes:

Ha!

Here's hoping for meaningful updates to the MBs and MBPs. That means battery update, for example. I guess I don't understand the need for 3G in the computer itself.

Who really needs 3G in the laptop anyway when tethering will soon be available via the iPhone? Don't the carriers sell internet plans that are accessed via those cards or other external hardware you need to install?

:confused:

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
3G chip will be nice and handy of course if for free to have it. I wonder if there will be chance to tethering for free if you already on contract with iPhone. That will be nice.
I really would wish to see some battery improvement for all range of laptops. My worked like 6-8 months and is dead. Every time, every mac. Its a joke especially if you have to pay like £100 for new one all the time.
:mad:

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I could imagine maybe a netbook with 3G subsidised by ATT/O2 on a contract but full blown macbook/pro I struggle to believe.

Id imagine it would still cost a silly amount to buy AND be tied into a lengthy contract costing whatever a data plan is on its own these days... I just couldn't see many people going for it when the finance of it all comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.