Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Notebook refresh makes sense, since there is a 10" something coming soon. That MaxiPod will be revealed and complete the line-up of portables from Mac all the way from a Nano through a MacBook Pro/Air.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
While I'm sure Pro apps are coming soon, this kind of seems like "well, nothing announced at NAB... so lets guess WWDC."

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Matte screens please

I will almost certainly buy the next MBP that has a matte screen option.

If not, that Lenovo W series Thinkpad is starting to look pretty good.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
And here's hoping that Logic gets sorted to make proper use of hyper threading, some of my b*tching over the new MacPros in regards to audio use will be severely lessened if that happens.
:eek:

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Realistically: I want to see built in battery and the option of going to 8gb ok all mbp's. Don't care too much bout MHz (they're all fast). Higher res on the 15 would be nice, but seems unlikely. I need a new laptop soon. Hope the extra month wait is worth it.

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
I'd like to see a Final Cut Express update...
We will most likely have to wait until after Final Cut Studio 3 gets released. I expect it will require Leopard, but whether Apple makes it Intel-only, I am not sure.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
This would make sense, according to MR's Buyer's Guide.

Still, expect modest boosts at the most, like a slightly better video card, slightly larger hard drive configurations that come standard, and small processor bumps. I would expect to see the MBP come with the "to-build" option of 3.06ghz too, and maybe slight CPU bumps along the line. I think it's time they got rid of the white Macbook and replaced it with the Unibody .. even if they make minimal profit, the fact that they aren't "screwing" over the rest of the cheap notebook crowd, would be nice and may attract more buyers. No one wants an old product, especially a design that's been around for nearly four years.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Still, expect modest boosts at the most, like a slightly better video card, slightly larger hard drive configurations that come standard, and small processor bumps. I would expect to see the MBP come with the "to-build" option of 3.06ghz too, and maybe slight CPU bumps along the line. I think it's time they got rid of the white Macbook and replaced it with the Unibody .. even if they make minimal profit, the fact that they aren't "screwing" over the rest of the cheap notebook crowd, would be nice and may attract more buyers. No one wants an old product, especially a design that's been around for nearly four years.
If the whitebook does go, I hope/expect the unibody macbook to take a price cut to make up for it.

Sdancott

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Great news...

I was just in the process of pricing up a new lappy for my Post-Grad course in September. Guess i'll hang on for a few months.

illuminated keyboard in the low-end MacBook would be a nice addition, it's a nice little feature that's pushing me towards the 2.4Ghz model. If it was included in the low-end MacBook, it'd certainly save me a bit of coin - i don't really need the extra Ghz

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
3G in the laptops? Either make it free or have a version without it. I do NOT want to be paying a monthly data fee for my laptop. I'm already paying enough as it is for just my phone.

If 3G is supported it is totally up to you to get a 3G data subscription or not... I don't think I would either, but a lot of people could really use 3G on the go... But as Apple already has a lot of experience using 3G on the iPhone and it's already built into the iPhone OS, it should be relatively easy for them to incorporate it in the laptop series as well..

Further on topic, I would like to see a 15" MBP containing / supporting:

- BluRay writer (for data storage / backup)
- Higher resolutions (1920 instead of 1440)
- 7200rpm harddrive with more storage; I don't really care much about SSD's
- improved battery, possibly a built in one just like the 17" has now
- the ability to use both GPU's (snow leopard?) and the possibility to use the computational power of both GPU's by the OS and the applications running on it using CUDA and/or OpenCL
- next gen GPU's?
- support for more memory (8GB?) and 4GB default
- quad core processors

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Come June it will be about the time an MB/MBP update is expected, so I guess that's why the idea of that comes up, but isn't this update supposed to be the less exciting one before core i7 towards year end?
Just because the CPU update is likely to be small doesn't mean the other components will also receive small bumps. I think there will be a significant HDD boost like the Merom (late 2006) and Penryn (early 2008) revisions. Coincidentally, those revisions are every other revision. I'm also hoping for the new battery and higher-resolution displays.

I don't think we'll see Nehalem until early 2010. And although Clarksfield is now more likely (since it's 35 W instead of 45/55 W), I still have some doubts for it in the MacBook Pros.

And what about the MacBook Air?

Maybe it will just be a quiet one a couple of weeks before the conference.
That's quite likely, like the 2007 MacBook Pro update.

Jono Hayes

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
GPS would be cool

OLED screens would be cool. heard some thing about apple and LG doing some kind of deal. (but most likely ****)

+ GPS will be built in to the notebooks, well i think they would
since core location API's are popping up in Snow Leopard. see no point in core location if there computer's dont have GPS ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

i would so sell my 2008 mac book pro. to get one of those bad boys (hahaha) if there is one in june.

and

i dont see apple using i7 mobile till next year.
but if they did in the june notebooks would buy one with out a doubt.

my 2 cents . . . . . . . . :)

most likely see the macbook air being updated in june. .

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006

Still, expect modest boosts at the most, like a slightly better video card, slightly larger hard drive configurations that come standard, and small processor bumps. I would expect to see the MBP come with the "to-build" option of 3.06ghz too, and maybe slight CPU bumps along the line.

Is there anything better than the 9400M in terms of integrated GPUs? Or rather, will there be anything better in June? If I remember correctly, the Intel graphics on the Macbooks were updated once a year. Intel GMA950, then 2 others and very recently they got the NVidia 9400M. Apple just updated the iMacs and most of them only have the 9400M so I don't think the new Macbooks in June will have better graphics than half of the iMac lineup... right? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for better and faster.

I guess there won't be new graphics for 13" Macbook then when Snow Leopard is released (I'm thinking September). Any ideas?

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
If the whitebook does go, I hope/expect the unibody macbook to take a price cut to make up for it.
Or if the rumored 10" device ends up being a small laptop, that might replace the whiteBook.

Is there anything better than the 9400M in terms of integrated GPUs? Or rather, will there be anything better in June?
I've been wondering that for some time now.

If I remember correctly, the Intel graphics on the Macbooks were updated once a year. Intel GMA950, then 2 others and very recently they got the NVidia 9400M. Apple just updated the iMacs and most of them only have the 9400M so I don't think the new Macbooks in June will have better graphics than half of the iMac lineup... right? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for better and faster.

I guess there won't be new graphics for 13" Macbook then when Snow Leopard is released (I'm thinking September). Any ideas?
Some pretty good points there, I haven't seen a 9400M successor yet. I guess the other part of the speculation is what will replace the discrete GPUs on the MacBook Pro. GT 130M, GTS 150M, and/or GTS 160M?

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I *just* bought my MBP like 2 weeks ago at BB and since I'm a Rewards Silver member I have a 45 day return policy and don't have to pay the 15% restocking fee. Then again, maybe I should stop playing Monday morning quarterback and be happy with what I've got. After all let's face it, anything is going to appear anemic next to my MP. Bad problem to have, I know :D

Anyway, I think when it comes to the Pro apps and NAB, we all knew :apple: wasn't attending but that Apple would come along with an announcement outside of the event that might steal some thunder. The Pro apps might get a parallel announcement at WWDC because they're so long in the tooth and soooo overdue but my guess is that this isn't what Tim and the management team would be spending their keynote time on.

Now back to WWDC...it's for DEVELOPERS, HELLO?!? If someone is developing for Mac chances are their interest is in 2 things - App Store and OS. That's why my bet is that the keynote will focus on new iPhone OS 3.0 and Snow Leopard. With such major stuff going on, minor spec bumps on laptops could get lost in the shuffle. Better to save it for another time IMHO.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
That lines up with the May Intel price drop, the back-to-school season and my predictions.

BlizzardBomb said:
  • MacBooks at 2.13 GHz and 2.53 GHz
  • MBP at 2.66 GHz (or 2.53 GHz if Apple still wants to be a cheapskate), 2.8 GHz and BTO of 3.06 GHz.

thedommer

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
oh man. I would love a logic update. and then something saying how logic 9 is due in the fall and will include full support for all awesomeness of 10.6.

go. say it. please?

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
They must have something amazing lined up for the MBPs in Autumn if this is happening in June...

Quads?

I personally have decided not to sell my current MBP until I can get someone with 4-cores from Apple. I know, I'm looking at Q3/4 09, but I think it'll be all the more happy when I do get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.